Viewing 12 reply threads
  • Author
      WCM
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★
      • Comments: 368
      • Overall: 398

I will be working with my Ruger #1 .30/06 and I have several .30 cal molds.
      I have the RCBS 180 gr GC and the Lyman 311299 and 311284
      Have any of you tired these molds in the ’06?

Any load suggestions or powders that might work best?

Thanks for your help,
      WCM

lead-1
      Participant
      • Bronze
      • Comments: 82
      • Overall: 90

I can’t be a lot of help but I use the LEE 309-200-R mold which in very similar to your Lyman 311299 mold. I have good luck with it in my Winchester model 70.
      The LEE C309-200-R bullet sized to .310 with a gas check, 32 grains of H-4895, CCI 200 primer, COL 3.167″.

*** Now use your discretion and research this further because I use a small ball of dacron filler in my load, please do some research on this as there are much more knowledge on here than I have. ***

Larry Gibson
      Participant
      • Gold
      • ★★★
      • Comments: 507
      • Overall: 562
      • Gold

No experience with the RCBS bullet but have been using the 311299 and 311284 in numerous ’06s since ’69. I most often, these days, just use 4895 with a dacron filler and look for best accuracy in the 1750 – 1950 fps range with either bullet.

Larry Gibson

Goodsteel
      Keymaster
      • Gold
      • ★★★
      • Comments: 2452
      • Overall: 2660

Larry’s got the load for sure. You might try my 30XCB bullet from NOE if you get in the mood to try something different. I hear very good things from people who have put it through its paces. I recall Sgt.Mike did quite well with that design.

Another you might keep your eyes peeled for is the Lyman 311466. I had good luck with that one in a 30-06, and it hangs right there with the 30XCB in performance. It’s truly one of the greatest 30 caliber bullets of all time in my opinion.

Scharfschuetze
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★
      • Comments: 190
      • Overall: 193

I have the RCBS 180 gr GC and the Lyman 311299 and 311284

I use all three of these designs in my Ought-Six and other 30 calibre rifles. All three are great, but in the end, I prefer the 311299 for most of my shooting now. Were I using a cast bullet for hunting, I’d probably go with the RCBS.

Unlike Larry (other than in the M1 Garand where 4895 rules), I use SR 4759 mostly. Like Larry, I’ve found 1,800 to 1,900 fps to be the sweet spot for me in several rifles using these designs with either SR 4759 or either brand of 4895.

WCM
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★

I still have a fair amount of SR 4759 ,and I also have plenty of H 4895 so this is where I will start.
      The Ruger doesn’t have much throat so that may be a limiting factor with keeping the base of the bullet within the neck.

Scharfschuetze
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★
      • Comments: 190
      • Overall: 193

WCM;n8558 wrote: I still have a fair amount of SR 4759 ,and I also have plenty of H 4895 so this is where I will start.
      The Ruger doesn’t have much throat so that may be a limiting factor with keeping the base of the bullet within the neck.

The two Lyman designs are true bore riders. I don’t think that you’ll have any issues keeping you lube grooves covered up by the neck unless you have a tight bore as well as a short throat. There are two RCBS designs, one for lever guns and one for bolt rifles. If you have the latter, you should be good to go as it is also a bore rider.

Sgt. Mike
      Participant
      • Gold
      • ★★★
      • Comments: 789
      • Overall: 873

Like Scharfschuetze stated SR 4759 is a standard go to load for me, but it has been discontinued so unless you have a large stock pile well a alternate is needed.
      4895, 4064,4350 are just exceptional powder across the board for the ought-six as Larry has stated, he is right in my experiance.

With that being said I tried IMR 4227 as some have claimed good success.

Tim mentioned the 30 XCB mold which lately I’ve shot almost exclusively because it works for me although the 311466 works well too.
      Wish I could assist you with the molds that you mention, I just don’t have any of them on hand.

15 rounds of SR 4759.

Five Shot of IMR4227 at 19 grains

7 shots of IMR4227 at 20 grains with the 30 XCB bullet

All the rifle I used are calibered 30-06 not 30 XCB I just use the 30 XCB bullet because it works.

The 311466 with IMR4227 did not work as well in my old 1903A3, but with this new rifle it might, I need to go back and look at that combination.

Right now I have not settled on a exact low-mid velocity load for this new rifle yet she needs to fire the same groups couple more times before I do.

Below is a 5 shot group using 4895 and 30XCB with the old 1903A3 that Bjorn got from me a while back. you really have to look hard to see the fifth shot double radius.

Larry has repeatability taken loads like this to 200/300 yards on a regular basis during his test.

Why did I attach pictures? Well many will say “oh you can achieve great accuracy with this load” but really won’t say or show what that accuracy is.
      Instead I prefer to show what I get with my rifles and equipment with a given load, not to brag. When I went to school my teachers taught me to “show” my work.

Your rifle will give different results but usually markers can be used to work up or down to find your goals from somebody elses load and sometime a certain bullet just doesn’t work in one rifle. I hope this helps as the previous posters gave you spot on advice

WCM
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★

The XCB looks like a good one.
      If I don’t have great success with the heavier bullets in my rifle I will probably buy that mold.

The #1 is presently the only ought six I own.

Thanks for the information.

My rifle likes IMR 4350 and IMR 4831 with the jacketed bullets.

I suspect it may shoot well with H4895 with cast.

I probably have about eight or nine pounds of SR 4759 left,but when it is gone it is gone.

Sgt. Mike
      Participant
      • Gold
      • ★★★

I’m down to 1/2 pound of SR4759 😮

The molds you have will probably work given enough time and research, Cast Boolits will probably have some information on your mold if you google search it.
      I don’t think anyone will fault you for using that resource, I know I won’t. Not that that forum is the end all be all but it does have a lot of good information I know I learned quite a bit there. Not attempting to talk you outta of buying a mold from Al Nelson.

give this on a look over (http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show…1299-vs-314299) now there is a lot of sidebar information but at the last post somebody gives out a fuzzy load area using reddot.
      This one is a little more specfic (http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show…h-Lyman-311299)

would I advise using the NOE 30 XCB yes but there are others that work well too and really yah just can;t have too many 30 caliber molds.especially if you have more than one 30 caliber rifle.

WCM
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★

I have three really accurate .308 win bolt guns and a Springfield as well as a model 95 in .30/40 Krag.

I have owned various .30/06’s over the years. It was my favorite hunting rifle when I was sixteen.

I bought this #1 as a hunting rifle,and it will probably be a real challenge to wring exceptional accuracy out of it with cast bullets.

Sgt. Mike
      Participant
      • Gold
      • ★★★

I Really like the #1 although I have heard some laminate over the accuracy (majority not in the ought-six). I suspect you have a very doable project
      Best of luck

Larry Gibson
      Participant
      • Gold
      • ★★★
      • Comments: 507
      • Overall: 562
      • Gold

My stash of 4759 is getting down there and I’m saving it for duplexing with BP in 45-70 loads. I’ve found the 158 and 164 gr (#2alloy) 311466 and 30 XCB bullets to be a bit light weight in the ’06 for use with 4895, even with a dacron filler. By the time 4895 starts burning efficiently in the ’06 the velocity is over the RPM Threshold and accuracy falls off.

Thus with those two bullets in my M1903A1 NM with Lyman 48 rear and 17 aperture up front I’ve been testing 2400 and 4227. I use a dacron filler with both and have ben having excellet results in the 18 – 20 gr range. The dacron filler is not necessary if you are single loading and can pre position the powder. However if loading from the magazine, especially during rapid fire, the dacron filler keeps the powder pre positioned and prevents vertical stringing.

Thus far 18 gr 2400 and 19.5 gr 4227 are holdind 1 1/2 -2 moa for 10 shots at 200 yards. That’s 10 ring capable on the decimal A target and V ring on the old 5V A target.

Larry Gibson

Viewing 12 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2017 Goodsteel Forum. Designed by Covalent Designs, LLC.