This topic contains 13 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  kens 2 years, 10 months ago.

• Author
     kens 
    Participant
    • Gold
    • ★★★
    • Comments: 531
    • Overall: 587

Can you guys tell me about ‘quiet’ safeties.
    The mauser original safety is like a cam operated lever, that can be pulled off quiety by letting it off slowly.
    I’m building a woods deer rifle and I want to maintain the quiet safety feature.
    However, I am interested in the aftermarket triggers such as Timney, Jewel, or others.
    Some of those have a built in side safety such as a modern sportier, are these also quiet?
    I have a Browning A-bolt and its safety has a audible ‘click’ to it.
    A friend has complained about the loud click to his Rem700.
    What is your experiences?

skeettx 
    Participant
    • Silver
    • ★★
    • Comments: 197
    • Overall: 213

No issues with safeties with my Remington’s suggest some dry lube
    As to military safeties, if no scope leave it alone.
    If scope, yes, and please fit it properly!!!
    Mike

Harter 
    Participant
    • Gold
    • ★★★
    • Comments: 802
    • Overall: 875

I have an old Jeager trigger which is as I understand is the parent of the Timney . It is the 700 style thumb on top type . It may be age and run in but it is smooth , quiet and certain without any tick . In the field I’ve never been one to flick a safety ,but then when it gets down to the last 50 yd practically every breath is calculated .

Goodsteel 
    Keymaster
    • Gold
    • ★★★
    • Comments: 2452
    • Overall: 2660

Any safety can be silenced. The worst offenders are the Ruger style that have a spring loaded rocker to transfer the positive “roll on, roll off” feel to the tang. This, and others, are easily shut up with a small strip of red rubber with small holes in it, laced over the transfer bar. Usually, if you take the rifle out of the stock, it’s very easy to see where the offending action is happening and dampen it.

Personally, I never payed the safety any mind. My M1A is the worst one in the stable with a safety that makes a loud “clunk” when it’s snapped forward. That said, I’ve put down several deer with it, with no issue at all. When I detect a deer is near, I snap off the safety, (or thumb back the hammer), and get in position. When the deer presents itself, I shoot it. I have never had a problem with this.

Waksupi 
    Participant
    • Silver
    • ★★
    • Comments: 106
    • Overall: 112

I don’t mind the standard Mauser safety. If I convert one, I get one of the Winchester Model 70 type three position safeties for a replacement. My preferred safety on all rifles.

I do not like the Timneys and such with the built in safety. They seem to have a nasty habit of easily being moved off safety when carrying the rifle.

There is another type, can’t recall the manufacturer, that uses a small nylon type detent. No good, the nylon wears, and once again, will not keep the rifle on safe reliably.

Bodean98 
    Participant
    • Silver
    • ★★
    • Comments: 103
    • Overall: 111

I agree with Waksupi 100%.
    Another model 70 style 3 position fan here. I even convert my Remingtons to this style! They are quite quiet and as positive as a safety can be.

Bodean98 
    Participant
    • Silver
    • ★★

I agree with Waksupi 100%!!
    Model 70 style 3 position safeties go on all of my Mausers and even my Remingtons. They are plenty quiet and as positive as a safety can be. If my quarry is within earshot of the safety noise, it’s most likely too late for it to make any difference.

Bodean98 
    Participant
    • Silver
    • ★★

That was weird. Sorry for the double post!

kens 
    Participant
    • Gold
    • ★★★

Bodean98;n13256 wrote: I agree with Waksupi 100%!!
    Model 70 style 3 position safeties go on all of my Mausers and even my Remingtons. They are plenty quiet and as positive as a safety can be. If my quarry is within earshot of the safety noise, it’s most likely too late for it to make any difference.

No, where I hunt, 75% of all my rifle shots were inside a bow hunters range. inside 35 yards typical. 75 yards is a long shot.

mountain4don 
    Participant
    • Bronze
    • Comments: 39
    • Overall: 50

You could buy a MAS 36/51 French rifle. That would eliminate the problem altogether! When I deer hunt with mine I follow the French Manual for the rifle. You march forward until you see the opposing line of deer and that they are within range. You take a clip of ammo out of your ammo pouch and load the rifle. You chamber a round and wait for the commander to announce to start firing. That way you don’t need a safety on the rifle. Oh yes, don’t forget to unload the rifle after the enemy is dead.

seaboltm 
    Participant
    • Bronze
    • Comments: 64
    • Overall: 72

Goodsteel;n13225 wrote: Personally, I never payed the safety any mind. My M1A is the worst one in the stable with a safety that makes a loud “clunk” when it’s snapped forward. That said, I’ve put down several deer with it, with no issue at all. When I detect a deer is near, I snap off the safety, (or thumb back the hammer), and get in position. When the deer presents itself, I shoot it. I have never had a problem with this.

My experience exactly. My M1A’s and Garands defy being quiet. Yet they seem to do the job, time after time.

kens 
    Participant
    • Gold
    • ★★★

How close in are you shooting bambis??
    100 yards in the open ?

Goodsteel 
    Keymaster
    • Gold
    • ★★★
    • Comments: 2452
    • Overall: 2660

My typical deer hunting is done inside 50 yards. The M1A has made meat at 20, 35, and 50 yards. I have not ever had a deer spooked by my snapping off the safety. That would require a situation where the deer was already alerted to my presence. Even then, he would have to break into a dead run the instant the sound was detected.
    Bow hunting really got me over the squidgets pretty quick. In that situation, you have to stand up, raise something the size of an umbrella in front of you and then spread your arms wide as you draw the bow. Snapping off a safety really doesn’t seem like that big a deal after that.

kens 
    Participant
    • Gold
    • ★★★

Im not a bow hunter, so I guess I got the squidgets.
    I need all the help with the rifle that I can put together !!!

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2017 Goodsteel Forum. Designed by Covalent Designs, LLC.