This topic contains 66 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  Menner 2 years, 8 months ago.

• Author
     Goodsteel 
    Keymaster
    • Gold
    • ★★★
    • Comments: 2452
    • Overall: 2660

My friends, I feel obliged to make it known that I am moving MBT to a different location.

Believe it or not, all the wonderful things that you have seen me create, and the ground breaking advancements in HV cast bullets that my work has been part of, has all been accomplished in a small, single car garage. I have used what the Lord has blessed me with to the best of my abilities. I have taken full advantage of the gifts that He bestowed upon me, and I kept my family unit tight and closely knit throughout my endeavors. I believe it is time to take on more responsibility, because what I have now simply is not working. I have tried to work around the physical size limitations of my shop to the very best of my ability so help me, but its just not enough. Perhaps a different man could get more out of the meager assets that I have to work with, but I doubt it would be a very pretty picture.

I have discovered a property for sale that has many advantages that will allow me to make better use of my time to serve you better.
    1. My commute to the range will be reduced from 40 miles round trip…….to simply stepping out of my new shop and shooting groups.
    2. I will be able to spread out more, and separate the checkering, polishing, disassembly/reassembly, wood finishing, bluing, milling, lathing, and welding operations, so that I don’t have to tear one down and build the next up just to get through a build.
    3. The importance of elbow room for a well running operation cannot be understated.

Many of you have noticed my increased lead times, and I apologize profusely for that, but I will not sacrifice quality in order to meet dead lines. My mentors told me this would happen, and they cautioned me to stick to quality like glue because it’s the only boat that will carry a gunsmith across the river.

I am looking forward to making a huge leap forward, and I intend to pass the rewards on to you as soon as ever I can.
    However, this move is going to be very taxing. For 10 years, I’ve been doing my level best to pack tools and capability into this small place to get the job done, and there are thousands of tools, parts, supplies, chemicals, powders, bullets, files files and more files, and papers, packed in every little crook and cranny around here. I will be gutting it in the coming weeks and moving to the new place.
    This will put me even further behind in the short term. I pray your patience and understanding as I go through this important lifestyle/work change. The last thing I ever want to do is let you down or test your patience, but I have no choice in this case. It will be better in the long run, and if you stick by me through this, we will ALL reap the rewards of this grand new adventure!

Thank you for making MBT what it is. If it were not for you, this simply would not be happening. I owe it all to you my friends.

Stay tuned for pictures of big machinery and the new digs!!!!

Rattlesnake Charlie 
    Participant
    • Gold
    • ★★★
    • Comments: 679
    • Overall: 831

Congratulations! I’m envious. I look forward to more reports on the new digs.

MTtimberline 
    Participant
    • Bronze
    • Comments: 37
    • Overall: 40

Congratulations and I’d like to wish you good luck on the upgrade. Let us know when you are settled and ready to take on more work.

Harter 
    Participant
    • Gold
    • ★★★
    • Comments: 789
    • Overall: 859

Well congrats! Wish I was there to haul tools or boxes or something.

Goodsteel 
    Keymaster
    • Gold
    • ★★★

Harter;n7448 wrote: Well congrats! Wish I was there to haul tools or boxes or something.

You’ve done enough Harter. The help you and your father gave to me a couple years ago (plumbing natural gas to my bluing tanks) made all the difference in the world and helped me get a little ways further with what I have. If it weren’t for little helps like that, I would have stalled out.

Sometimes I felt like I couldn’t go any further and good people have come and propped me up so I could dig it out a little more. I’m humbled by the people who have looked me dead in the eye and told me that they believe in me no matter what, and they have invested in me to insure my success. In return, I’ve tried to make sure that every single thing that I make is a hail marry pass at perfection no matter what the personal cost. I just give it my all and hope it’s enough for another trip around the sun.

uber7mm 
    Participant
    • Silver
    • ★★
    • Comments: 288
    • Overall: 305

Congratulations, one bold step in extreme velocity casting…..

DeadWoodDan 
    Participant
    • Bronze
    • Comments: 80
    • Overall: 91

I was really hoping you were going to say moving to Illinois, but wouldn’t blame you one bit. Good Luck! Oh and not that you need the advise, but it’s Summer and alot of kids I’m sure would be willing to help move in trade for shooting lessons? just a thought, as I hate moving…

Harter 
    Participant
    • Gold
    • ★★★
    • Overall: 859

Tim, when a man calls me a friend hustling a few boxes and burning a little fuel is of little matter . The little job we did at your place has been repaid 10 fold and then some . It is I that is humbled by the generosity.

Phil 
    Participant
    • Bronze
    • Comments: 52
    • Overall: 54

Sounds like a good change. I feel your pain concerning the mechanics of the move itself.

uncle jimbo 
    Participant
    • Bronze
    • Comments: 21
    • Overall: 26

Congratulation on the new property. Hope the move goes well.

GhostHawk 
    Participant
    • Silver
    • ★★
    • Comments: 258
    • Overall: 260

Best of luck to you in the new shop!

Might want to burn a small spill of powder to propigate the Gun Gods and bring the move to their attention! 🙂

chutesnreloads 
    Participant
    • Silver
    • ★★
    • Comments: 161
    • Overall: 165

Congrats…….once the dust settles you will really shine

Reg 
    Participant
    • Silver
    • ★★
    • Comments: 256
    • Overall: 296

You are really going to enjoy just stepping out the door and letting one fire off !!! Hang in there, it will work out fine.

Uncle Grinch 
    Participant
    • Bronze
    • Comments: 17
    • Overall: 18

I know you are looking forward to the move. Change is good for Goodsteel!

dragon813gt 
    Participant
    • Bronze
    • Comments: 79
    • Overall: 84

Congrats on the new property. I would be lying if I said I wasn’t jealous of anyone who’s able to shoot on their property. Good luck w/ the move. They are always a royal pain. More so when tools, tools and more tools are involved.

Anonymous
    • Bronze
    • Comments: 71
    • Overall: 76

I have naught to offer other than prayers that the Father will go before you and kick the big rocks out of your road, I’m pretty sure you can handle the little ones.

claude

Goodsteel 
    Keymaster
    • Gold
    • ★★★

claude;n7462 wrote: I have naught to offer other than prayers that the Father will go before you and kick the big rocks out of your road, I’m pretty sure you can handle the little ones.

claude

Honestly, that’s what I really need right now. This is not totally sewn up yet, but I’m going for it full tilt.

I told Angie, there are some opportunities that you have to just pull out all the stops and go for it like there’s no tomorrow, because the regret of missing the opportunity far outweighs the risk of failing in the attempt to seize it.
    This is one of those times.

skeettx 
    Participant
    • Silver
    • ★★
    • Comments: 197
    • Overall: 213

Well done, well done
    How far is the new place from your present place?
    Mike

uber7mm 
    Participant
    • Silver
    • ★★

Heavenly Father, Abba, our Lord and our Creator. We are not worthy to approach Your judgement seat, except through the grace of Jesus, and His supreme sacrifice through His own blood, death and resurrection for mankind. I ask earnestly that You would protect and bless our brother Tim, in his time of change and uncertainty. May You continue to bless and keep him, and his family safe from the enemy and his agents. I pray this in the name of your Son Yeshua, Jesus, the Christ. Amen.

Goodsteel 
    Keymaster
    • Gold
    • ★★★

Amen!!!!!!

Goodsteel 
    Keymaster
    • Gold
    • ★★★

skeettx;n7465 wrote: Well done, well done
    How far is the new place from your present place?
    Mike

It’s about 20 miles away.

Bodean98 
    Participant
    • Silver
    • ★★
    • Comments: 103
    • Overall: 111

Congratulations Goodsteel!
    I believe your mentor(s) are correct. You can’t rush perfection! I would be certain your loyal customers would understand.
    Sounds like a good move for everyone involved.

Fishman 
    Participant
    • Bronze
    • Comments: 35
    • Overall: 39

It certainly sounds like a bold step and it certainly isn’t the first or probably the last you will take. Congratulations!

goody 
    Participant
    • Bronze
    • Comments: 74
    • Overall: 92

Nothing like dreams coming to fruition! I am glad you are willing to take the opportunity to grow and see what all comes out of it. God has blessed you with more talent (broader in scope) then many smiths I know and square footage is needed to allow you to maximize your talent. I wish I was closer so I could drop off a few items for your work.

Goodsteel 
    Keymaster
    • Gold
    • ★★★

goody;n7479 wrote: Nothing like dreams coming to fruition! I am glad you are willing to take the opportunity to grow and see what all comes out of it. God has blessed you with more talent (broader in scope) then many smiths I know and square footage is needed to allow you to maximize your talent. I wish I was closer so I could drop off a few items for your work.

Well, USPS is a lot closer. Most of my work comes from out of state, so keep me in mind once I get set up!
    Honestly, the number of states that do not have MBT rifles is shrinking quickly. The only ones that still haven’t had MBT rifles shipped to them are mostly out east. We totaled up all the states that I have shipped to about a year ago, and it was shocking. Still haven’t done anything for Hawaii, and Main is another.
    Anyway, you get the point.

I’m here for you when you need me.

Artful 
    Participant
    • Gold
    • ★★★
    • Comments: 428
    • Overall: 615

Wishing you all the best – have you thought about how your going to set up in the new digs?

Goodsteel 
    Keymaster
    • Gold
    • ★★★

Oh yes I have.
    I was quite envious of the way Felix Robbins set up his reloading room, and I believe I will set up both the reloading room and my shop in similar fashion. Felix believed in 360 degree use of a reloading bench.

In the shop, I will put all the machinery against the walls, with a massive bench in the center. This will allow me to utilize each face of the bench for a different purpose.

I also have plans for the inside of the house. Whatever Angie wants is how it gets done. LOL!

lead-1 
    Participant
    • Bronze
    • Comments: 81
    • Overall: 89

uber7mm;n7466 wrote: Heavenly Father, Abba, our Lord and our Creator. We are not worthy to approach Your judgement seat, except through the grace of Jesus, and His supreme sacrifice through His own blood, death and resurrection for mankind. I ask earnestly that You would protect and bless our brother Tim, in his time of change and uncertainty. May You continue to bless and keep him, and his family safe from the enemy and his agents. I pray this in the name of your Son Yeshua, Jesus, the Christ. Amen.

Amen and best of luck on your move. Will your move be housing also or just the shop, it’s nice to live close to the shop but customers don’t know what shop hours are when they can knock on the house doors.

Goodsteel 
    Keymaster
    • Gold
    • ★★★

lead-1;n7493 wrote:

Amen and best of luck on your move. Will your move be housing also or just the shop, it’s nice to live close to the shop but customers don’t know what shop hours are when they can knock on the house doors.

I’m moving both. For the past 5 years, the rule has been, if I’m home and awake, the shop is open.
    This property has the potential for expansion though, and I may open a sporting goods store/gunsmithing operation in the future. The possibilities are thick.

Waksupi 
    Participant
    • Silver
    • ★★
    • Comments: 106
    • Overall: 112

Good move, Tim!

Goodsteel 
    Keymaster
    • Gold
    • ★★★

We’re all loaded up and ready to take the first load.
    Don’t have any help yet, so it’s all me. I plan to work like a dog and then eat steaks from the BBQ grill with the folks we are buying from (God bless them).
    It’s 95 degrees in the shade and the humidity is high. I’m just pacing myself and trying to keep things moving.
    Angie has already abandoned this place in her mind. She packed almost everything, so I’ve got to get the beds and dressers tonight (I love that woman. She’s even more gung ho than I am! A true Malcolm if I ever saw one!)
    Pray for us!

Anonymous
    • Silver
    • ★★
    • Comments: 123
    • Overall: 129

Good luck and be careful. I’m sure you will love the new place.

Bullseye67 
    Participant
    • Bronze
    • Comments: 16
    • Overall: 16

Happy moving! I moved about 5 years ago and had packers and movers….never heard so much complaining as when they got to my casting area. The guys asked what was in the crates LEAD?….I just laughed and nodded….as they huffed and puffed. Best decision we ever made was saying “yes” to hired movers.

Best of luck in the new digs and I may look you up when you get settled, and see how difficult getting a MBT across the 49th is.

Sgt. Mike 
    Participant
    • Gold
    • ★★★
    • Overall: 873

OK Tim rather than ask over text and on here so everyone is in the know. Has the shop moved yet as that is the hardest and slowest (waiting on ATF to acknowledge the new address) part of your endeavour.
    On the buildings we discussed I have to work the weekend of the 20th this month, need to find my rail road jack for that.

Goodsteel 
    Keymaster
    • Gold
    • ★★★

I have not updated this thread because the move was put on hold several times due to various issues such as the injury to my foot, and the seller.
    God willing, we are closing the day after tomorrow (Friday).
    We have already moved most of the house, but the shop remains.
    I am having a wood stove installed in the new shop, and I’ll be removing the wiring from the old shop and getting it in place in the new one.
    Insulation will be blown in as well, and a 220v AC unit installed.
    I intend to double or triple my bench space and I am making every effort to set the new shop up for a more efficient work environment.

I am removing all the reloading operation from the work area and moving it upstairs, and the lead casting will be taken out of the shop as well (I think).
    If I do this right, everything will be better, but I’m not one to burn my ships once my feet are on land. If for any reason this deal fell through, I have only to move back where I came from. On the other hand, if I moved my machinery out here and sold old house, I would be in a world of hurt.
    That said, it looks like we have the green light to pull out all the stops and kick it in high gear this weekend.
    I have been extremely frustrated by the delays in this move, but I count my lucky stars that I had time to recoup after being injured. As it is, my foot still hurts like hell and is swollen by the end of the day, but the wound is almost completely closed and had stopped draining and I’m not limping nearly as much, so I can actually make some serious headway now. The heat is at dangerous levels, but that just gives me something to think about when I’m freezing my buns off this winter!

Reg 
    Participant
    • Silver
    • ★★

What in the heck did you do to yourself ? Wish we were closer, have a 20 foot steel decked machinery trailer and a couple of strong boys who could help. Looked at the milage though and It just won’t work.
    Be careful, take your time especially moving that machinery.

Goodsteel 
    Keymaster
    • Gold
    • ★★★

At last!!!!
    We closed on the new property today. Now I can get serious about moving the shop.

Reg 
    Participant
    • Silver
    • ★★

Good deal but now the work really begins !!!!!!

uber7mm 
    Participant
    • Silver
    • ★★

Goodsteel;n8578 wrote: At last!!!!
    We closed on the new property today. Now I can get serious about moving the shop.

Congratulations. Always an exciting time!

God bless you and your family on this momentous occasion.

Goodsteel 
    Keymaster
    • Gold
    • ★★★

The seller just came and cleared out the attic over the shop and pulled up the floor up there.
    I will now roll or blow insulation and get a heat source permanently installed in there.

Goodsteel 
    Keymaster
    • Gold
    • ★★★

Here’s a few pictures:

Kinda purdy ain’t it?
    It’s a huge opportunity, and we are very thankful for it.
    I intend to pass on the good fortune to everyone and I appreciate the patience of all our customers while we make the transition!!!

uber7mm 
    Participant
    • Silver
    • ★★

Looks like God’s country! Well done brother.

Reg 
    Participant
    • Silver
    • ★★

Doesn’t look like neighbors are close. PERFECT !!!

Goodsteel 
    Keymaster
    • Gold
    • ★★★

The nearest neighbor is the guy who sold me the place, and he’s just barely in sight and doesn’t mind frequent gunfire.
    This is perfect for me.

I’m building workbenches and shelves as fast as I can. I’m going to bring the first load from the shop this weekend, and it looks like we finally got a break from the heat so hopefully I can make some serious headway!!!
    Dam them torpedoes! Full speed ahead!!!

Goodsteel 
    Keymaster
    • Gold
    • ★★★

Progress!
    I have built two work benches, cleaned out a bunch of junk from the new place and burnt it.
    I’ve run the lights and tonight I got peg boards hung.
    Im going to attempt to move all the tool boxes, shelves, fixtures, and the lead stash.
    Next week that haul will be organized, and put away.
    Hopefully I can get the lathe and mill over here next.

Goodsteel 
    Keymaster
    • Gold
    • ★★★

I scored an Ingersol Rand 80 gallon air compressor for the new shop!
    Hopefully I can get it hitched up with a VFD or find a single phase motor for it. I’ve wanted one of these since day one! Any advice would be appreciated!

Reg 
    Participant
    • Silver
    • ★★

What is the horse power requirement on that puppy ?

Goodsteel 
    Keymaster
    • Gold
    • ★★★

Reg;n9373 wrote: What is the horse power requirement on that puppy ?

Here’s a photo of the juice label:

Geez. This darn thing sucks almost as much power as my lathe does! The lathe is 5HP 14.4Amps!

Sgt. Mike 
    Participant
    • Gold
    • ★★★
     Goodsteel 
    Keymaster
    • Gold
    • ★★★

Thanks for the link Sarge!

I just got off the phone with my buddy with the crane. The lathe and mill are moving Saturday morning!
    I sure would appreciate your prayers gents.

Sgt. Mike 
    Participant
    • Gold
    • ★★★

I seriously doubt you have three phase on the pole there (If you did it would make life so much easier for you)

http://weldingweb.com/showthread.php…-phase-service
    it might be easier than you think, the big cost is the transformers which could be setup to run just the machinery on a separate meter and fuse box.
    Ask Entergy they might surprise you one way or the other on setting a pole up

Goodsteel 
    Keymaster
    • Gold
    • ★★★

Actually, 3ph is on the pole, and Entergy would hook it up for a small nominal donation, but only to a detached building. They will not hook it up to a shop attached to a residence which is exactly my situation.
    I intend to build a large shop in the future on this property, but until then, I’ve got to limp by with phase converters of some sort.
    I’m going to try the VFD on the compressor, but I read somewhere it’s a little more difficult to set a VFD up for continuous duty on a compressor than it is to set it up on a mill or lathe. Could just be my imagination.
    We shall see.

popper 
    Participant
    • Silver
    • ★★
    • Comments: 293
    • Overall: 294

probably cheaper to set up a compressor shed with pole (where you plan your new shop bldg) than the VFD. Compressor surge/start current is the problem. Yea, no 3 phase to residence so it is physically isolated from residence 220. Last time I did that VFD cost ~$4k fed from 270 hot leg. Burned out a Siemens Shuttle fuel cell inverter due to surge.

Reg 
    Participant
    • Silver
    • ★★

OK, reason I asked is because I ran into the same problem years ago when we were setting up the shop in town. Had 5 machines ( Bridgeport, Monarch Lathe etc ) that all required 3 phase power and the city wanted 3500.00 to bring it into the old garage we started in, this did not include breaker panel or anything else. Needless to say it was out of the question price wise. Called wife’s uncle, one really sharp guy who could always seem to come up with some kind of an answer and he replied, no problem.
    What he came up with is a slave motor set up. That is you use a larger 3 phase motor , rewire it, and it will act as a 3 phase generator. In my case, the biggest requirement I had was in the drill press and it used a 3 hp motor so he chose to make up the generator from a 10 H.P. 3 phase motor.
    We found it would run up to 3 , 3 phase motors at a time as long as you did not exceed the 3 horse power per machine limit. It would not start but once spinning would run a 5 H.P. motor but I felt if it was that close, do not try it in actual use.
    Quite often at auction or even at some motor shops, 3 phase motors are quite reasonable used ,as compared to a single phase motor. In your case I am thinking you are going to need a 15 or perhaps even a 20 horse motor to start with.
    Yes , compressors are very hard to start, even a two stage compressor. Starting amperage is high. Once running they draw no more amperage than as indicated
    I have no idea what the usable life of such a unit would be. We started with a old and I do mean old, motor as a base and I used the heck out of it 6 days a week for 25 years and it is still running now and then out in the shop out back. I wouldn’t let it go when we closed the shop and that was 8 going on 9 years ago.

If interested PM me.

Goodsteel 
    Keymaster
    • Gold
    • ★★★

Thanks for the info. I am aware of the slave motor concept, but I’m trying to stay away from that for the moment. I’ll revisit this when I’m closer to getting it hooked up.

Reg 
    Participant
    • Silver
    • ★★

No problem, let me know when or if you get intrested.
    One side aspect of this process is that your expense of the electric bill is greatly reduced. They tell me it runs for half or less of the normal hourly cost. Initial set up does cost something and may not pan out if only dealing with one or two machines.

Goodsteel 
    Keymaster
    • Gold
    • ★★★

I’m all set to move the lathe and mill tomorrow. My insistence on more machinery than I need is fixing to require another deposit!

The lathe is 12 feet long and weighs almost two tons.
    The mill is 3250lb.
    Please pray things go smoothly. I never want to do this again. The last time almost wiped me out.

Artful 
    Participant
    • Gold
    • ★★★
    • Comments: 428
    • Overall: 615

Lord let this shop be set up smoothly and Tim be a happy camper in his new home.

Goodsteel 
    Keymaster
    • Gold
    • ★★★

Thank you for the prayers! I definitely needed it.

I went and met Jeremy Newton at his house, and we traveled together in his one ton van to his downtown showroom where he sells and markets all the fantastic cuts of wood he harvests and cuts into rough hewn lumber for building rustic counter tops, shelves, or cabinetry. This was the first time I’ve been to his showroom, and it was impressive. He has a natural eye for figured lumber, and some of the pieces he had would make anyone interested in that type of remodeling week in the knees.
    He helped some customers for a few minutes and I asked him for a tour of the place which he obliged me with.
    Afterwards, I took command of the van and trailer, and he jumped into a brand new international truck with a crane between the cab and the bed. Pretty sweet setup!
    We traveled to the old house and got to work. I told him the way I had this in my head was to detach the trailer, then use the van to pull the machines out of the shop with a chain where the crane could get ahold of them. First the mill, which would be set to the side, then the lathe. Once the lath is out, we hitch up the trailer again, set the lathe on it, then the mill.
    He agreed that sounded like a good course of action.
    The chain was slung around the base of the mill, being careful to miss the knee, and it was easily pulled from it’s resting place by the 454 big block chevy (that was one seriously powerful van!)
    Jeremy grabbed the remote pack for the crane, and I got my first look at just how dexterous it was. He easily swung the tip of the boom 12″ above the headstock where we ran the chain through it and around the top of the machine. Once done, the crane lifted the mill like it was so much grain sack, and set it gently to the side.
    Next, the chain was thrown around the base of the lathe and once again the van pulled it from where it has set for the past 8 years as a permanent fixture. The tires on the van slipped a little this time (not surprising given the ammount of contact the lathe had with the floor, but out it came never the less.

This is where things started to get real interesting. I was very familiar with the balance point of the lathe, having done this before, but I’ve always had a fork truck to lift it. This was a little different. The problem was that once the chain was passed though the bed of the lathe and the crane began to lift it, the lathe would start to pitch over, either towards the controls or away from them, and the only difference was the precise location of the chain on the web of the machine. If the lathe were allowed to have it’s way, it’s extremely top heavy nature would make it pitch over such that setting it back on it’s feet would be a nearly impossible proposition. We almost lost it once, and the lathe was set down hard (much too hard for comfort).
    Jeremy and I tried to lift it about a dozen times, and I began to get that hopeless feeling that we had come to the most important moving operation of my life with the wrong piece of equipment!
    I told Jeremy that it might be best to just move the mill, and I’ll come back with a rented fork truck of some sort. Jeremy brushed those words off like an annoying fly in his ear and started grabbing his choker ropes. These are finely woven, supple ropes about 1″ in diameter, and he manipulated them like a surgeon. He acted like he knew exactly how to use them to get the object he had to move to cooperate. Of course, I’m looking at his pitiful ropes and the 2 tons of metal he was weaving them around and thinking (man, this guy doesn’t understand that this machine could look sideways at these cords and snap them like string cheese!!!).
    Never the less, he wrapped the ropes around the machine with expert skill using knots I’ve never witnessed before. He would lift the lathe, then set it down and readjust the ropes, then try again, testing each one for tension. Finally, he lifted the lathe with me holding onto the tailstock end literally balancing it by hand, swung it over the trailer and set it down effortlessly. I felt the trailer sink under my feet as it took the weight of the monstrous lathe.
    I stepped off the lathe, and for the first time in my life, I felt week in the knees from the fear that was pumping through my body, and Jeremy looked about the same. That was a very dangerous thing we had just done, and we had both risked one of our most important trade tools in the process.
    I looked at Jeremy, and said “what do you say we take five?” He replied “Yeah. Yeah, I’d say that’s a good idea.” We both just let the relief sink in for a minute!!!

(That’s why I would like to take a minute and thank all of you who were praying for me!!)

Moving setting the mill on the trailer was a snap by comparison, and it was done in just a few minutes.

Once the lathe and mill were set on the trailer and strapped down, I jumped in the van and headed south to the new property. Both the trailer and the van were built for this sort of thing, and I could hardly tell there was 4 tons of metal being dragged behind me. The van just shrugged it off and kept on trucking.
    Once back at the new place, offloading happend in reverese order. The mill was set off on a sheet of OSB, and then Jeremy used the tip of the crane to push it in the shop. He positioned the very tip of the boom on the corner of the mill and gently pushed it into the shop like it was a glass of water on a counter top.
    I turned to him while he was pushing it and asked “can you pick up a nickle with that thing too?”
    He smiled big and said “No, but my operator can!” LOL!

After the mill was set, it was time for the lathe, but this time I had an idea. I asked Jeremy what about using the ratchet straps we secured the lathe with on the way over as a way to control the tipping of the machine? I figured that as long as I was going to be hanging on the end of the lathe anyway, having the force of the ratchet straps would compound my efforts.
    We ran the straps to the corners of the lathe footing to the tip of the boom. As Jeremy would lift the lathe and it started to tip, I would repond by manipulating the ratchets in my hands, either left or right depending. It worked very well.

Goodsteel 
    Keymaster
    • Gold
    • ★★★

Here’s a few more pictures of the move. I just want to extend a heartfelt thanks to my lifelong friend Jeremy Newton and Newton Tree Service for his amazing contribution to getting me set up in the new place!

Here’s my buddy JT who showed up with his floor jack and helped get the lathe set in place.

Back to more important things. Far too little gunfire in this whole operation!!!

Menner 
    Participant
    • Silver
    • ★★
    • Comments: 120
    • Overall: 124

Glad to see the move went well you will be up and operating in no time now. when you flip the switch on the mill and lathe in their new home for the first time it will bring a smile to your face.
    Tony

Goodsteel 
    Keymaster
    • Gold
    • ★★★

Menner;n9466 wrote: Glad to see the move went well you will be up and operating in no time now. when you flip the switch on the mill and lathe in their new home for the first time it will bring a smile to your face.
    Tony

I’ll be REALLY happy if I flip the switch and they actually turn on and don’t let the smoke out! LOL!

Menner 
    Participant
    • Silver
    • ★★

No Smoke!!!!!!!! Get Sgt Mike over to wire them for you he is retired now. He is probably looking for something to get into LOL
    I’d come and do it for you but you are more than a hop skip and a jump away
    Tony

Sgt. Mike 
    Participant
    • Gold
    • ★★★

LOL Tony,almost retired first day of retirement will be 1 July 2017.My last day (work) will be in March 2017 which I will burn off all my leave.
    Which I will need a real job lol.
    Wiring yeahhh i’d have to be slow doing it or their would be smoke when the switch is flipped

Now if Tim had a building on a trailer that needed to be dropped I can do that easily

Menner 
    Participant
    • Silver
    • ★★

Gotta Love “Terminal” leave get it setup and draw full pay and another J O B for 60 days or so that’s a lot of gun money LOL
    I have not “worked” as an electrician for a number of years, I helped a friend that has a Auto repair shop install a new lift when I wired it up I took the cover off the panel and started landing the wires I noticed I was more deliberate in my moves than I was when I used to do it every day. OLDER WISER? LOL
    Tony

Goodsteel 
    Keymaster
    • Gold
    • ★★★

Interesting, a very kind retired electrician just wired the new shop for me, abd he made the same comment.

Menner 
    Participant
    • Silver
    • ★★

The thing you need to remember about electricity is that it is very Lazy it just sits there waiting for a better path to ground, and it will always take the path of least resistance. Most of the time it will not travel very far to do that but if you let it get ahold of you it can be very exciting, very quickly and at my age I still like exciting every once in awhile but I try to avoid that type. LOL
    and that is a fellow that has been bit before LOL
    Tony

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2017 Goodsteel Forum. Designed by Covalent Designs, LLC.

or    

Forgot your details?

Create Account

If you have any questions or comments, please contact us by clicking the button below.

Contact Us