• Author
      Harter
      Participant
      • Gold
      • ★★★
      • Comments: 807
      • Overall: 883

I’m really frustrated with this rifle .

I shot some random somebody else’s 35-250s 3rd load would have been under an had the 5th round not spit it’s GC .
      I shot some Lee 358-200 RNFP with Unique instant groups to form brass .
      I shot some assorted 125-158 gr pistol bullets and guess what…. instant groups !
      148&161 gr WC ? Groups from just over 38 Special .

Today for the first time I got to shoot a few of the 35XCB bullets that I’ve had a mould and a few bullets cast for , oh I don’t know a year ……..
      I swear this rifle is no fun at all . Seat a dummy , take a measurement , 95-97% fill with 4350 , go shoot 1″ group …..

How’s a guy supposed to spend hours fidgeting with brass , powder , sizing , alloys etc ?

35-250

Bodean98
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★
      • Comments: 103
      • Overall: 111

Yup, those kind of rifles are just boring!

Use reverse psycology on this rifle.

Put your efforts into finding something it won’t shoot!

kens
      Participant
      • Gold
      • ★★★
      • Comments: 531
      • Overall: 587

What is a MBT 358?

I presume Tim built it, but what caliber??

MBT 358 a wildcat of Tim’s?

Harter
      Participant
      • Gold
      • ★★★

358 Win in a Santa Barbara 98′ .

kens
      Participant
      • Gold
      • ★★★

So you say it shoots everything from pistol wadcutters up to 250gr rifle bullets??

what twist is it?

Bodean98
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★
      • Comments: 103
      • Overall: 111

Thanks!

I was hoping you would grace us with pictures!!

Harter
      Participant
      • Gold
      • ★★★

1-14″
      The stock is a 1972-4 Fajin .
      I’m not sure about the bottom metal . I would discourage the inside bow release . During by the book work ups with H322 and the 250s the recoil was sufficient to open the floor plate .
      Tim is responsible for barreled action and chamber . The rest of the parts are my fault .
      It is a delight to shoot . I’m looking forward to making meat with it .

kens
      Participant
      • Gold
      • ★★★

I got 1/14 twist also. Mine is 35Rem and I hope to plink with pistol bullets. Currently setting up for bambi meat season. I raked some oats n millet into the ground around the tree stand today.

Goodsteel
      Keymaster
      • Gold
      • ★★★
      • Comments: 2452
      • Overall: 2660

That was one of the MidwayUSA Adam’s & Bennett barrels they were selling some years ago. Such wonderful barrels. I went a little hog wild with the 358s there for a while, and who could blame me? I want to say those barrels were less than $100, and they all delivered sub MOA on demand once they were broke in (a little judicious lapping on my part didn’t hurt anything).

My personal Sako AV in 358 Winchester (Siete Leguas) has one of these barrels on it, as did the 358 Malcolm wildcat, and the Genesis rifle owned by milkman which also adorns my business cards to this day. They ALL shot exceptional.

This barrel was one that I had originally mounted on a Japanese 77, and I even shot a deer with it, but eventually scrapped the rifle but I saved that awesome barrel.

When Harter expressed interest in a 358, I was happy to offer him this exceptional barrel. 1-14 twist, lapped, chambered, honed, crowned and blued.

Looks like it shoots as good for you as it did for me. I sure am glad it’s being put to use by someone who can appreciate it! in that caliber, I doubt you’ll ever shoot it out. I figure you’re good for probably 7K-10K shots.

Harter
      Participant
      • Gold
      • ★★★

Not likely shooting 2000-2100 fps at 32-35kpsi I’m pretty sure it won’t see anymore hot loads . Infact it’s not likely see a jacket either .
      If it does start to show some damage I think there’s plenty of room in the action for it to become a 35 Whelen . 🙂

Goodsteel
      Keymaster
      • Gold
      • ★★★

Everything has a barrel life Harter; even cast bullet rifles.

However, the burnout will manifest itself so slowly, and there will be so many shots before it starts to, you can pretty much figure on a lifetime of good shooting.

Harter
      Participant
      • Gold
      • ★★★

I have so many to play with that running out of barrel life in a big bore (by contrast to the parent cartridge) pumpkin roller is a pretty low level concern . Now the 264 I wonder if the 1500-200 fps paper patch will polish the bore before the throat is gone .
      (Previously followed by aimless rambling)

I really just needed to say what an amazing rifle it is in spite of my shooting ability .

Strelok predicts retained energy of 1100 ftlb past 200 with a 12″ hold over for the XCB bullet with a 100 zero it is judgement hold over (often called point blank) to 150yd . That basically means as long as the post and the cross wire are in the hair most critters inside 200 yd are going down in a heap . It still wows me to consider that this rifle is moose and competition capable , friendly competition , hunting rifle turkey shoot stuff in my hands . It is just amazing .

kens
      Participant
      • Gold
      • ★★★

Has anyone taken game thus far with the 35XCB bullet??

Goodsteel
      Keymaster
      • Gold
      • ★★★

Not that I know of, and actually, nobody has taken game with HV cast bullets that I am aware of (that being 2900FPS ish).

Viewing 13 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2017 Goodsteel Forum. Designed by Covalent Designs, LLC.