This topic contains 15 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Jniedbalski 3 months, 3 weeks ago.

• Author
     Glenn 
    Participant
    • Silver
    • ★★
    • Comments: 218
    • Overall: 261

While I was in the Navy in Tech School in Pensacola FL, I picked up an old Mauser bolt action 22.  It already had a scope mounted on it and the rear sight was missing, so do any collector value is pretty much gone, but I’m a huge Mauser fan, so it was treasure to me.  It has a 25 1/2″ barrel with 5 round detachable magazine.  In looking at the Gun Values books, I think it looks like a Model 420.

A friend of mine from way back in Idaho had a single shot Mauser 22lr that was insanely accurate, so I was hoping that this one would compare.  When I took it out to fire it, it bulged the cases at the base and sometimes had a split.

So, what to do?  I could drill it out and put a new 22 barrel liner in, but I’d really like to shoot the Mauser rifling if possible.  So my thought was to find a great gunsmith who could bore out the chamber and make a new chamber insert and press/solder into the old barrel.

Thoughts and or suggestions?

Glenn 
    Participant
    • Silver
    • ★★

Jniedbalski 
    Participant
    • Silver
    • ★★
    • Comments: 201
    • Overall: 224

Have the barrel taken off . Then have your gun Smith take some off the end of the barrel . And re chamber it. Go with a short target chamber with .030 bullet engraved on loading makes for a very accurate rifle. The extractor cuts have to be recut . depending on if the barrel is threaded or pined depends on also if it needs re threaded when shortened. I had my Brno Chinese copy done because it blew out a small hole in the side of the chamber . One of the extractor cuts was to close to the chamber and over time weekend and blew out.

Jniedbalski 
    Participant
    • Silver
    • ★★

I would do this way before relining  . If you got a very good 22 to me there very hard to find and worth fixing. At the time 25 years ago it cost me 85$ to do this. It was a press fit pinned barrel

Glenn 
    Participant
    • Silver
    • ★★

That sounds like a good idea.  Thanks for the suggestion.

Jniedbalski 
    Participant
    • Silver
    • ★★

Is this a one pice receiver and barrel like I thank some Remingtons or Winchester where made? Hope not . If it is could the inside the barrel chamber be shortened and  rechambered and then  the bolt made longer to compensate?

Glenn 
    Participant
    • Silver
    • ★★

It looks like a two piece design and I couldn’t find a pin, so I’m guessing it’s threaded.

Jniedbalski 
    Participant
    • Silver
    • ★★

That is a very good rifle and very rare in the Us. I would definitely fix that rifle. It is very good quality. I would cut off the chamber shorten it past where the buldge is then re chamber  It with a short match chamber. The  best accuracy I have read is when you can get  .030 thousand of bullet engraving on the bullet  from the rifling. A old gun Smith did it for me. He first said it’s going to be expensive do you want to spend that much money on a 22. I told him if you seen the groups I get at 100 yards with this gun you would. I told him to do it. He said it’s going to be around 100$ bucks. Well he must of felt sorry for me and my gun he only charged me 85$. I only wish he re chambered it with a short match chamber. He’s passed now from cancer a few years ago. I really miss him. He was cheep and good. He did awesome hot bluing also. I have read that people take brand new ruger 10/22 and send them off the have the chamber shortened. Then they rechamber it  with a short match  reamer. I have read this really improves accuracy a bunch. That 22 rifle of yours needs fixed. To me it is a awesome very good rifle . Glad you posted it. I have never seen one thanks

Jniedbalski 
    Participant
    • Silver
    • ★★

You mentioned tech School in Pensacola  Florida for the navel.My boy has one more month of boot camp for the Marines in San Diego. He is doing grass week now and weapons training .After he graduates he has his mos training in Pensacola . He is doing aviation electron . It’s I thank 14 months of training. What can you tell me about the place. I know we will be visiting

Jniedbalski 
    Participant
    • Silver
    • ★★

Aviation electrician sorry

Glenn 
    Participant
    • Silver
    • ★★

I was an electronic warfare tech.

It gets cold in the winter.  I asked Mom if she could send me my coat and boots and she laughed about it being Florida.  I told her that I’d have to spend her Christmas present money on a new coat instead.  UPS brought my stuff a few days later, and mom had a good Christmas.

There is lots of old people and they drive like old people.  I once watched a lady completely block traffic for two light cycles waiting for her turn to turn left.

There used to be a nice quiet club on base to play pool.  The local girls used to come to the club on the weekends to dance.  It was crazy being a secured base, but they’d just let the girls on Friday and Saturday night.  Probably not now I would think.

Jniedbalski 
    Participant
    • Silver
    • ★★

Thanks for the info. I did boot camp 20 years to the day my dad went in . I went to fort dix in New Jersey my dad fort Leonard wood in mo. We both had guys complaining about the cold. They where from Alaska .could not figure that one out.

Jniedbalski 
    Participant
    • Silver
    • ★★

Is your 22 a bolt action or a semi auto. Looking at the picture it almost looks like a straight pull or a semi auto?

Glenn 
    Participant
    • Silver
    • ★★

It’s a bolt action with a very slight handle throw, 10 deg or something.

Glenn 
    Participant
    • Silver
    • ★★

Jniedbalski 
    Participant
    • Silver
    • ★★

That is really neat. That bolt with the small bolt throw had me thinking what is it a bolt or a semi thanks

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2017 Goodsteel Forum. Designed by Covalent Designs, LLC.