This topic contains 14 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  Goodsteel 3 years, 1 month ago.

• Author
     Goodsteel 
    Keymaster
    • Gold
    • ★★★
    • Comments: 2452
    • Overall: 2660

The associate pastor (JC) at my church called me earlier today and let me know that my pastor is looking for a rifle. He said he wants a lever action real bad.
    I shot him some dealer prices.
    JC said that pastor Bill wasn’t looking to spend that much, and he had looked at the new “Marlins” at the store and didn’t care for the wood on them. Also he was hoping to find something with a scope on it.
    I told him it was going to be difficult to get a quality rifle with a scope for that amount of money. The JM Marlins are the best lever action and they cost.
    Then I had to educate him on the pitfalls of the other lever actions on the market (and the prices!)
    I soon realized that pastor Bill is on a tight budget, and I said “Look JC, I’ve got $50 in my pocket for cryin out loud, and I’m going to put it towards getting Pastor a decent rifle. Could you hit up some of the other fellers and see if we can get above the “cheap used up junk” ceiling?
    Well, he did, and we managed to scrape up enough money that I think we can afford to get pastor Bill a pretty good rifle. We’re just going to do it on the sly. I’m going to slick it up here at the shop and make sure it’s running slick as greased lightning and mount the scope properly and put on a sling and all the goodies, then I’m going to sell it to the pastor for the price he wants to be at.

Towards that end, I want a rifle that I KNOW is a good one with excellent wood to metal fit. I prefer the ones made in 1999 -2001 (if everything lines up well) as I’ve had a few real sweethearts in that vintage. I’m looking for something that has very few handling marks with good bluing.

I trust you fellers as much as if I were there looking at it myself. If you know where such a rifle is for sale, I would appreciate you letting me know a number to call.
    Thanks!!!

Rattlesnake Charlie 
    Participant
    • Gold
    • ★★★
    • Comments: 679
    • Overall: 831

I sold one of them that would fit the bill precisely back in about 2005 when paying off the wicked witch of the west. Wish it didn’t happen.

I’ve got your snail mail address. Grant will be soon marching your way.

Capt45 
    Participant
    • Bronze
    • Comments: 14
    • Overall: 17

What’s a fair price for a Marlin 30-30 JM stamped and vintage late 1970’s? Bought it new and haven’t done much with it since I got into other calibers. Might consider selling.

uber7mm 
    Participant
    • Silver
    • ★★
    • Comments: 288
    • Overall: 305

Might talk to the preacher and get him a rifle now, and the scope, mount and rings later, (next year).
    Purchasing in bits will be easier on the pocket book(s). He might get a better scope that way.

Goodsteel 
    Keymaster
    • Gold
    • ★★★

I’m working on the scope and rings from another angle. Same as I was saying in the other thread. Low power high quality.
    Ive got a set of hidden screw Redfield low-pro rings I’ve been gleefully stashing for just such an occasion.

uber7mm 
    Participant
    • Silver
    • ★★
    • Comments: 288
    • Overall: 305

Good man, Goodsteel!

Goodsteel 
    Keymaster
    • Gold
    • ★★★

Capt45;n12370 wrote: What’s a fair price for a Marlin 30-30 JM stamped and vintage late 1970’s? Bought it new and haven’t done much with it since I got into other calibers. Might consider selling.

I’d start with an offer of $450.
    Hows it look, how’s it work, and most importantly, how’s it print at 100 yards?

kens 
    Participant
    • Gold
    • ★★★
    • Comments: 531
    • Overall: 587

Make it a donation to the church, and write it off your taxes.
    See if you can get rings, scope, sling, etc, from internet special sales items.
    All you need to begin with is a old pawn shop used gun. As a gunsmith you could likely freshen it up in house.
    If in fact you make it a donation to the church, then I say ‘beggars can’t be choosey”
    I just ordered a ZEISS Terra 2-7×32 scope off Midway for $269.
    SWFA shows the same Zeiss for $229.
    A pastor with shallow pockets cannot ask for a collectable Winchester or JM marlin.
    However, if you GIVE it to him, he should be just as happy with a back seat worn Rossi, or any marlin with a long life of stories to tell.

Goodsteel 
    Keymaster
    • Gold
    • ★★★

Thanks for the advice, but I’m not liking for any kickback on this. Just helping a man who helps me.
    All I need is the location of a decent Marlin. I don’t want to have to do a full restoration if i can get the right rifle (I’ve got too many obligations on my time as it is after the move).
    This is my pastor and my friend, and I want him to have something he can be proud of.
    If any of you fellers sees a rifle in a pawn shop, or at your local gun store, please do keep me in mind.
    Thanks!!!

tomme boy 
    Participant
    • Bronze
    • Comments: 41
    • Overall: 42

Does it have to be a Marlin? What about a Win?

Goodsteel 
    Keymaster
    • Gold
    • ★★★

Har! I would love to put a real Winchester in his hands. But they are worth twice what a Marlin is. I’m seeing post 64 sintered receiver guns going for $600+ on GB.
    Not only that but he needs a scope, abs while I can certainly make that happen on a 94, it’s plug and play on the Marlin.

popper 
    Participant
    • Silver
    • ★★
    • Comments: 293
    • Overall: 294

Might want to increase the vintage to 2007. MIne won’t cloverleaf like SIL’s 308MX but very near, with FTXs.

Goodsteel 
    Keymaster
    • Gold
    • ★★★

Thanks for the help gents. I found a deal on Gunbroker. I fits the bill perfectly.

tomme boy 
    Participant
    • Bronze
    • Comments: 41
    • Overall: 42

I have this that could be donated if it fits the bill. It is used but works good.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/699041/bushnell-banner-shotgun-scope-175-4x-32mm-circle-x-reticle-matte

I think I may have a weaver base for the Marlin too. I would have to check on that. Check your PMs Tim, Give me a call if you would like the scope.

Goodsteel 
    Keymaster
    • Gold
    • ★★★

I’ll holler at you Tommy.
    I appreciate the offer of the scope, but I’m going to let Pastor try several of mine and see what he prefers.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2017 Goodsteel Forum. Designed by Covalent Designs, LLC.