Viewing 21 reply threads
  • Author
      Victor N TN
      Participant
      • Bronze
      • Comments: 1
      • Overall: 3

I have one of those listed above. I hope when I am able, that it and I become good friends.

Goodsteel
      Keymaster
      • Gold
      • ★★★
      • Comments: 2452
      • Overall: 2660

You will, I promise. The guide gun was my first 45-70, and I quickly fell in love with it. It’s one of the funnest guns I have owned to date. However, a good friend of mine was wanting one badly, so I gifted it to him in true friendship. I miss that rifle, but the joy I feel for giving it away far outweighs the pleasure of owning it. Besides I have the 1895SS, and the Browning 1886 to keep my company. LOL!

bjornb
      • Silver
      • ★★
      • Comments: 163
      • Overall: 176

Yessir, I’m also the proud owner of a GG, the Big Loop model. Sent it to Goodsteel right out of the box; it now cycles like butter after Tim took it apart and stoned the insides. It wears a Leupold 1-4x dangerous game scope and is my main moose hunting rifle. Once I figure out how the picture upload works here I’ll post a photo.

Goodsteel
      Keymaster
      • Gold
      • ★★★

Photobucket is down for maintenance. As soon as they get it together, I’ll post pictures. Can’t live without pictures!!!!

Artful
      Participant
      • Gold
      • ★★★
      • Comments: 428
      • Overall: 615

I saw the pic’s of your 1886 on the other thread – it’s gorgeous – did you do the receiver engraving?

Goodsteel
      Keymaster
      • Gold
      • ★★★

Heck no! I’m good, but I’m not that good!
      That’s one of the reasons I cherish that rifle so. I try to surround myself with rifles that keep me reaching for bigger and better things. I don’t know if I’ll ever get to the engraving, but it’s something to hope for.
      However, I have a guy that does superb engraving if I need such a service.

timspawn
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★
      • Comments: 137
      • Overall: 166

Goodsteel;n40 wrote: You will, I promise. The guide gun was my first 45-70, and I quickly fell in love with it. It’s one of the funnest guns I have owned to date. However, a good friend of mine was wanting one badly, so I gifted it to him in true friendship. I miss that rifle, but the joy I feel for giving it away far outweighs the pleasure of owning it. Besides I have the 1895SS, and the Browning 1886 to keep my company. LOL!

Is that 1895SS the one you got from me? If so, how is she treating you?

Goodsteel
      Keymaster
      • Gold
      • ★★★

Is that 1895SS the one you got from me? If so, how is she treating you?

The very same!
      I love it. Like, with a very deep and misty sort of love. LOL!
      I did an action job on it, and installed a low-pro Leupold scope mount with a 4X El Paso Weaver scope I got from bjornb. She runs like greased lightning (ask anybody how well my reworked leverguns work) and the only thing I don’t like is that the magazine tube doesn’t hold but 4 shots, and it gets empty way too fast. LOL!
      Yep, that one’s staying with me.

timspawn
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★

Goodsteel;n442 wrote:
      The very same!
      I love it. Like, with a very deep and misty sort of love. LOL!
      I did an action job on it, and installed a low-pro Leupold scope mount with a 4X El Paso Weaver scope I got from bjornb. She runs like greased lightning (ask anybody how well my reworked leverguns work) and the only thing I don’t like is that the magazine tube doesn’t hold but 4 shots, and it gets empty way too fast. LOL!
      Yep, that one’s staying with me.

Glad to hear you two are getting along so well!

Goodsteel
      Keymaster
      • Gold
      • ★★★

Indeed! and what about the barter? Have you killed anything but paper with that awesome tackdriver I built you yet?

timspawn
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★

Not yet. I didn’t get to hunt much this year (new grand daughter kept me happily busy) but I plan on doing some hog hunting this spring with it. I loaded up some more rounds for it last night. I can’t seem to leave well enough alone. I always have to try something different. I have some 77 grain bullets that aren’t made anymore and want to see how they shoot.

Goodsteel
      Keymaster
      • Gold
      • ★★★

Nothing wrong with that!
      If you’re jonesing for pigs with that rifle, I’ve got two words for you:
      Nosler
      Partition.

timspawn
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★

Thats all she has ever eaten! I killed my best buck last year with my 6.5×55. Nosler Partition 140.

kfarm
      Participant
      • Bronze
      • Comments: 8
      • Overall: 10

I got one when they first came out , while I like it I’m quickly getting away from hard kicking rifles. Mine has the porting and even with protection its too loud. I’ve often thought of cutting it down just past the ports. I’m left handed and my right ear was damaged while I was shooting M60’s back in 69. Any loud noise causes it to spasm, have to wear a ear plug in church. And it’s just a little much for Arkansas deer.

Goodsteel
      Keymaster
      • Gold
      • ★★★

kfarm;n827 wrote: I got one when they first came out , while I like it I’m quickly getting away from hard kicking rifles. Mine has the porting and even with protection its too loud. I’ve often thought of cutting it down just past the ports. I’m left handed and my right ear was damaged while I was shooting M60’s back in 69. Any loud noise causes it to spasm, have to wear a ear plug in church. And it’s just a little much for Arkansas deer.

Sounds like its time to step back to the 30-30.

Artful
      Participant
      • Gold
      • ★★★
      • Comments: 428
      • Overall: 615

kfarm;n827 wrote: I got one when they first came out , while I like it I’m quickly getting away from hard kicking rifles. Mine has the porting and even with protection its too loud. I’ve often thought of cutting it down just past the ports. I’m left handed and my right ear was damaged while I was shooting M60’s back in 69. Any loud noise causes it to spasm, have to wear a ear plug in church. And it’s just a little much for Arkansas deer.

Depending upon where you live and the laws there – here may be a solution
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iK_jVJV-AIE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FmZ-SBBlm2I

Smoke4320
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★
      • Comments: 140
      • Overall: 151

with the new class 3 rules starting around July 16th .. It will be much easier for many to get class 3 items ..
      NO more CLEO signoff

kfarm
      Participant
      • Bronze
      • Comments: 8
      • Overall: 10

While I have several suppressors they are a integral 10-22 and a couple 308s never thought of a can on a 45-70. Been wanting to do a form 1 but been busy with other things. I dreamed of the day I’d retire, that was 7 years ago I’m still catching up with odd jobs.

Unforgiven
      Participant
      • Bronze
      • Comments: 2
      • Overall: 2

If I could only keep one gun (how sad) it would be my 1895gs.

Goodsteel
      Keymaster
      • Gold
      • ★★★

Unforgiven;n3364 wrote: If I could only keep one gun (how sad) it would be my 1895gs.

You wouldn’t be too awful bad off with that fantastic rifle.

Straight wrist?

Unforgiven
      Participant
      • Bronze
      • Comments: 2
      • Overall: 2

Goodsteel;n3365 wrote:

You wouldn’t be too awful bad off with that fantastic rifle.

Straight wrist?

Yes, it’s the straight wrist version. JM stamped from 2003. With a scope, I can shoot most boolits into an inch at 100 yards.

Goodsteel
      Keymaster
      • Gold
      • ★★★

Unforgiven;n3423 wrote:

Yes, it’s the straight wrist version. JM stamped from 2003. With a scope, I can shoot most boolits into an inch at 100 yards.

Next time you do that, I would love it if you would post pictures of the groups. I have had several of these rifles and I’ve never been able to get 10 shots into less than 2.5″.

I had the same rifle in blued steel and it was truly awesome. Definitely one of the funnest rifles I’ve ever shot. I have another one though (both almost identical and only one year apart 2000-2001) and my hunting partner was dying to have a straight stock guide gun, so I made a gift of it to him. That’s one rifle that got away that I don’t regret.

Viewing 21 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2017 Goodsteel Forum. Designed by Covalent Designs, LLC.