Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author
      kens
      Participant
      • Gold
      • ★★★
      • Comments: 531
      • Overall: 587

A while back I was in search of a good marinade for dry venison. Corned beef came to mind.
      With that, searched internet for ‘corned beef’ recipe.
      Beware, this ‘corned beef recipe’ internet search will only turn up something like ‘bake in casserole’, or bake at 350′, or mashed potatoes, or cabbage, et al.
      You are not likely to truly find out how to convert beef into ‘corned beef’.

Eventually I turned up the answer and tried it on a sale item beef before attempting a perfectly good venison roast.

The active ingredient in the whole process is Sodium Nitrite. not to be confused with sodium nitrate.
      If you search for all your own corning beef spices, then search for ‘Prague Powder #1″
      Prague powder is sold in spices specialty shops and the active ingredient is sodium nitrite.
      This is the stuff that prevents the beef from getting botulism, holds the nice pink color, and is the main preservative.

To that add ‘pickling spices’
      Pickling spices are relatively easy to find compared to sodium nitrite.
      Here is a couple links that I am attaching for general interest:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sodium_nitrite

https://www.americanspice.com/prague-powder-no-1-pink-curing-salt/

https://www.americanspice.com/pickling-spice-mixed-whole/

Prague powder is a thing that a little goes a long way, and the pickling spices you can add as much as you like.
      Put a slab of red meat in plastic container with the prague & spices & water, turn it over daily for a week to 2 weeks.
      Cook the meat to your liking and serve it up.
      It works well with red meat, including venison, not so much with pork. I would not exceed about a 2″ thick cut of meat.
      As Tim mentioned in another post, put the onions on bottom of crock pot, put corned bambi roast on that, crock it all day, and you could have something there !!!!

LenH
      Participant
      • Bronze
      • Comments: 32
      • Overall: 36

kens, I have been making this stuff for about 20 years and it is quite tasty. I several different sources for the stuff needed to cure the meat.

I get ingredients from The Sausage Maker in Buffalo, NY or Allied Kenco in Houston Texas. Both have websites.

I have attached a word document with detailed instructions I made up for coworkers who are hunters to make their own. I hope this helps.
      12615-attach-1135.doc

Rattlesnake Charlie
      Participant
      • Gold
      • ★★★
      • Comments: 679
      • Overall: 831

I’ve made corned beef from scratch a few times. Actually quite easy to make. I do not use the preservative as it never is in my refrigerator for more than a week.

kens
      Participant
      • Gold
      • ★★★

I just did another of my own corned beef marinades OMG it is good !!!

do it with a beef roast rather than a briskit. It marinated in the refridg for 2 weeks, and I baked it for 3 hours , OMG!!! it is good.

Now I say phooey on the briskit, just use a cheap beef roast.

Goodsteel
      Keymaster
      • Gold
      • ★★★
      • Comments: 2452
      • Overall: 2660

Now THAT’S what in the heck I’m talkin about!

I always wondered how to make corned beef as I do enjoy a Reuben Rye sandwich ever so much. Thanks Kens!!!

kens
      Participant
      • Gold
      • ★★★

After it marinated for 2 weeks, I drained off the water, kept the stuff that settled on bottom, spread this stuff on the meat when I baked it. About each 4 days I had spiked the marinade with fresh pickling spices.

I took all the leftover spices from the marinade and spread them on top with diced onion an baked it slow for 3hours.

This time the baking dish was a bit small for the size of roast, I think this helped. This made all the juices & drippings of the meat stay contained & compact about the roast, rather than spread out about a large flat dish. the whole house smelled of corned beef.

Served it up with mashed ‘taters, and a mix of turnips/cabbage.

kens
      Participant
      • Gold
      • ★★★

I just did another beef roast that was on sale price at local store.

Oh My !!! its good,

I’m getting addicted to this corned beef thing, a few thin slices with a fried egg, hashbrowns, and yur morning coffee !!!!

Excellent with venison football roast too .

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2017 Goodsteel Forum. Designed by Covalent Designs, LLC.