Viewing 7 reply threads
  • Author
      Rossi.45
      Participant
      • Bronze
      • Comments: 12
      • Overall: 13

i would like another 30MOA lift with my 336 Marlin .30/30 to shoot a little further . . . i already have Burris Signature Zee rings with the inserts 20MOA front ring, 10MOA in the rear.
      The scope, a Leupold 6X has 30MOA per turn and i have 2 revs at the moment

custom turret by NIOA in Australia

thats the back ground, now the question . . . the scope base has 4mm of bottom metal before it contacts the jaws of the rings, can or would a machinist machine off enough metal at an angle to give me the 30MOA i want ?
      is there enough metal there ?
      could i get enough lift with shims ?

20MOA would do but 30 would be better.

any help or thoughts appreciated . .. cheers R

here is the rifle . . .

Goodsteel
      Keymaster
      • Gold
      • ★★★
      • Comments: 2452
      • Overall: 2660

The problem you are likely to run into there is that you will cut right through the holes for the screws on the front, and get into their counterbores (you will be removing about .050 inches off one end). Also, as you angle the rail, the holes effectively get closer together on the side that contacts the rifle (trig side C) which means that even if you dress it off, your holes are not coming into the rail half a degree off plumb, and teh spacing change will put you in a bind, making it so that your screw heads do not have full contact. Keeping things from moving is all about having full contact, and it all hinges on the heads of your screws, so that is not negotiable if you expect reliability.

Now, if you were to buy one of these blanks:
      http://www.brownells.com/optics-moun…-prod9851.aspx

You would have plenty of meat to dress 30MOA into the rail, and then drill and c-bore the holes accordingly.

BTW, Love those Burris Z rings. Those are my favorites right after Tally QD.

Rossi.45
      Participant
      • Bronze

thank you for reply and advice Goodsteel .. . . all good advice, cheers for taking the time

It would be easy if i could just order a Warne 20MOA base for the 336 as sold by Midway . . . but because i live in a terrorist state ( you’d think ) they won’t export them to New Zealand . . but it does’nt matter now, i just got a ring from my Gun Smith, my .223IMP will be in the Post on Monday, the Marlin can wait for a little while, at present i have enough elevation to get out to +400 yards but really wanted 500, that has more of a ring to it . . . plenty of time to order a blank rail.
      The funny thing is he’s had the rifle action / barrel for months but been to busy making Net Guns for animal capture in the US of A . . . . many thanks, R

VANN
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★
      • Comments: 123
      • Overall: 134

You could try to shim it up and then bed the base with a good bedding compound.

Rossi.45
      Participant
      • Bronze

thought of that to thanks VANN, my first preference would be a machined base but the shim / apoxy is a close second . . . its all good to run thru all the possibilities

Rossi.45
      Participant
      • Bronze

quick update . . . thru a third party i have been able to order a Warne 20MOA base for the 336 – also ordered another Burris 1” insert kit so i could get a 20MOA insert to replace the 10MOA in the rear ring at present . . . that makes the extra 30MOA, might even use a shim for good luck

Now all i have to do is wait for the bits to arrive and go hit a target at 500 yards with a bullet drop of 419” ( 35ft ) that takes 1.6 seconds to get there . . . a 10” steel plate should be sporting.

cheers R

Gunslinger1911
      Participant
      • Bronze
      • Comments: 24
      • Overall: 26

Hey Rossi.45, Glad you got the “freight forwarder” worked out. lol I was going to ask what base you were looking at – who knows, I might buy a 336 someday ( that’s my story,. and I’m stickin to it)

Rossi.45
      Participant
      • Bronze

cheers Gunslinger . .. bit of an update . . the freight forwarder option didn’t work in the end, started well then Midway wouldn’t go for my NZ credit card, oooops but worth a try.
      ended up getting a custom 50MOA base made . . . all set to get into it, with enough elevation now for 700 yards .. . and then they closed the rifle range because the paperwork was out of date.
      so its on the back burner .. the 6X is now back in the scope box and in its place is a mk4 3.5-10 mildot with M3 dial and zero stop which is a better setup for hunting, has enough elevation to get me out to 400 yards but not yet verified past 250 yards.

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2017 Goodsteel Forum. Designed by Covalent Designs, LLC.