This topic contains 12 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  Brodie Brickey 5 months, 1 week ago.

• Author
     kens 
    Participant
    • Gold
    • ★★★
    • Comments: 525
    • Overall: 579

If a bubba was to build a heavy sporter, or, perverbial gong ringer (400yds) light bench gun, (palma?) what caliber would be the best for that? it is to maintain standard mauser brass for ease of feeding.

6mm rem? .257?, 7×57, 6.5×55? 8mm? XCB??? 9.3×57?

this would be a Kreiger barrel or similar, jewel trigger or similar, bedded stock, blueprinted action,

Nobody ever speaks of a 257Rob in a Kreiger barrel, bedded stock, blueprinted action, etc., why not?

Will 257 not perform well? why not 7×57? I’m asking about something like a 257 or 7×57 light palma

my local gun range has steel at 300, 400, 500 yards, I just wanna have fun with rest of the boys

edit: what would you have if you built a 8×57, 1:12, (Kreiger) bedded, blueprinted & all that?

Goodsteel 
    Keymaster
    • Gold
    • ★★★
    • Comments: 2452
    • Overall: 2660

The 6.5X55 would be my choice. No doubt about it, and JRR can back me up on this since he has a MBT rifle in that very caliber and built as you describe. Before the rifle left, I personally shot 12 bullets into .573 group at 100 yards. JRR has taken it a might further, and shoots a might tighter.

The 257 Roberts will shoot out the barrel faster than the Swede will.

The 7X57 is a magnificent rifle in it’s own right and I honestly would be hard pressed to choose the 6.5X55 over the 7X57, except the 6.5 has just a tooooooouch more performance with just a tooooouch less energy…. I’d take either one of them as they are very similar.

The 8X57 is a 4×4 with mud gripper tires and a deer tied to the hood. Yeah, it’ll do 100mph, but it aint very elegant. You’ve just crossed into the 30 caliber plus territory, and the target shooter is going to make some serious compromises if he does that. On a steel plate, a “ding!” is a “ding!” so one would beg the question: Why beat yourself up behind a rifle that’s trying to kill the steel deader?

In my opinion, 500 yards is a chip-shot and a custom rifle is expensive to build. I want the cartridge that gives me the most barrel life for the investment without compromising my hit ratio. In my opinion, 6.5×55 is REALLY hard to beat if you look at it like that.

Bodean98 
    Participant
    • Silver
    • ★★
    • Comments: 103
    • Overall: 111

I must agree with Tim except I lean heavier to the 7X57 camp. They are just sweet to shoot and every one I have ever built or shot has been an excellent shooter. Yes 500 yards would be a chip shot for either one especially in a well built custom rifle. It wouldn’t take long to get bored with just 500 yards!

kens 
    Participant
    • Gold
    • ★★★

I didnt know the 257 would burn out a barrel, I thought it was puppy in that regard.

Today, it seems like all the rage is 6.5 creedmore, and 6.5 swede ought be all that plus a bag of chips.

I hear you on the 8×57 the mud buggy, BUT, if you build a rifle as I asked, is 500yards still a chip shot for the 8mm?

will 8mm buck the wind better than 6.5×55?

Goodsteel 
    Keymaster
    • Gold
    • ★★★
    • Comments: 2452
    • Overall: 2660

500 is still a chip shot, but 8mm will not buck the wind like those javelins the 6.5 shoots, unless you go with the heavier bullets, and if you do that, you pay for it through the shoulder. The 6.5 and 6mm are the calibers that give you a magnificent BC and trajectory without stomping your butt into the dirt recoil-wise.

That said, recoil is recoil, and if you want to operate in that bracket of energy, then you can make hits way out yonder just as well with the 8mm if you get your head screwed on straight and your razors get dull fast enough (gotta have a pretty solid stubble to belt out 200 grain bullets all the time).

You can learn to deal with the greater arc of the 8mm Mauser, and hit whatever your want, but the question you have to ask yourself is “do I need to dump all this energy downrange?”

kens 
    Participant
    • Gold
    • ★★★

That makes me understand better, I just dont get the verbage that so well written about 6.5mm creedenboomer having soooo much BC. I dont get it.

I do understand the lighter bullet and less recoil though.

The gun rag writers wont give 2 words for 8mm, nor .30, nor .257, but they sure will write about Creedmore and .338Lapua. What gonna stomp you any more than .338Lapua??

Since you above mentioned 6mm and 6.5mm as being good, then does that open up 257Roberts?

Sgt. Mike 
    Participant
    • Gold
    • ★★★
    • Comments: 789
    • Overall: 873

The 6mm pill is a high BC as well as the 6.5 and 7mm.

a 6mm / 6.5mm /7mm in a 55-57mm case  you really can’t go wrong.

the 6mm will offer high velocity cheap bullets — trade off – accurate barrel life but that will be determined by the degree of accuracy you desire. To ring a 8 to 13″ steel gong at 500 yards you might not be able to really burn that barrel in your life time.

the 7mm will sport almost as good of BC as the 6.5 does, the availability of bullets are really good .

Mauser did offer a 6.5×57 years ago never really caught on well as the 6.5×55 performed exactly the same as the Mauser offering.

If we are just stuck on beating the 6.5 creedmoore guys do a exclusive 7×57 set up for the new sierria 197gr SMk 7mm bullet or the 183gr SMK both offer a High BC even at reduced Velocity  the twist require would be like 1-8″ or faster for the 183gr the 197gr would be a 1-7.5 or faster

kens 
    Participant
    • Gold
    • ★★★

Thats a cool idea, set up for 7×57 and hopefully spank the creedmore guys with their new hell-a-tootin creedmoor exotic push-feed whatchamcallit.

then when they ask ‘what is it’, I just say something like ‘it just a old mauser’,,,and let it go at that.

BTW, in order to do that, would that need a special throat or lead-angle to get there?

or, could I get there with a Kreiger barrel, deep chambered by Kreiger, and headspace it myself?

JRR 
    Participant
    • Silver
    • ★★
    • Comments: 84
    • Overall: 107

Kens,

I use that line frequently.  “It’s just an old 1941 Mauser”.

I have the 6.5×55 and it is great.  If you want more “hunting” power you could go with the 7×57 AI (Ackley Improved).  Less case growth, somewhat more power and a heavier weight bullet.

kens 
    Participant
    • Gold
    • ★★★

I dont need horsepower, but I am interested in a good tight mauser, a tack driver, heavy sporter, light bench, light palma, something along those lines. something that feeds without any alteration in mauser feeding.

** x 57mm caliber

Sgt. Mike 
    Participant
    • Gold
    • ★★★
    • Comments: 789
    • Overall: 873

”   BTW, in order to do that, would that need a special throat or lead-angle to get there?

or, could I get there with a Kreiger barrel, deep chambered by Kreiger, and headspace it myself?  ”

Depends if you what to preserve Case Capacity yes you could throat the chamber…… but I would advise a gunsmith to do it. If you mess up the throat it will not shoot fer ……

kens 
    Participant
    • Gold
    • ★★★

do you mean that those really long high BC new bullets will be seated deep in the case with a standard 7×57 reamer?

do you mean that the new high BC bullets need a throat ream job, if, one was to seat the new bullet only to base of neck?

Brodie Brickey 
    Participant
    • Bronze
    • Comments: 4
    • Overall: 4

Personally I would go with the 6.5×55. Much lower pressure than the Creedmoor (longer case life, and longer barrel life). Long for caliber good sectional density and ballistic coefficient bullets that are lighter than other calibers. When you get bored shooting steel at 500 shoot p-dawgs at 600.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2017 Goodsteel Forum. Designed by Covalent Designs, LLC.

or    

Forgot your details?

Create Account

If you have any questions or comments, please contact us by clicking the button below.

Contact Us