This topic contains 6 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Larry Gibson 1 month, 2 weeks ago.

• Author
     Larry Gibson 
    Participant
    • Gold
    • ★★★
    • Comments: 499
    • Overall: 549
    • Gold

Last week made a 24″ diameter “dinger” out of a 1/2″ piece of steel.  That is the size of the old High Power 600 ard bullseye.  It has the X, 10 ring, 9 ring and 8 ring on it.  I painted it black and then made a simple compass to hold chalk to mark the score rings.  I also can mark the X and 10 ring on it for 1000 yards.  I use 2 steel fence posts driven into the ground about 5 feet apart.  The dinger is hung with 2 chains between them and a 2×4′ “spreader bar with holes that fit over the posts is on top to keep the posts from sagging.

Went out yesterday with a couple friends at daylight north of town where I have several long ranges layed out.  One is a 1200 yard range that runs due north along a road out in BLM country along side a wilderness area.  We set the target up on a hillside off the road.  It is barren there behind the target so miss impacts can be seen.  Went back to the 1000 yard firing point and set up my portable bench which is fairly solid.

I set up the M70 suppressed .308W with the Nightforce NXS 8-32×50 scope on it.  In a previous thread I described zeroing and setting up the base for max elevation.  I have a confirmed 200 yard zero on the rifle/scope with the 175 MK load.  The MK is over 44.5 gr Varget in LC Match cases and runs 2650 fps out of that rifle.  The temp was 49 degrees but warmed up to 59 degrees after the sun came up.  I also put up a wind flag at the 800 yard range.  The wind was running 1 -3 mph out of 9 – 10 o’clock initially but by the time I finished the 22 shot string it had died twice and shifted to 6 7- 7 o’clock and was running 3 – 4 mph.

Here is one of my friends shooting the rifle;

Computer program said to go up 34 moa and left 2.2 moa for the wind.  I set the scope power on 22X so the MOAR reticle would read true moa.  The fouler went just off target at 11 o’clock.  First fouler did also and 2nd fouler just clipped the edge at 11 o’clock.   Went down 1.5 moa and right 1.25 moa and began hitting the target.  As it was a dull over cast we could not initially see the impacts on target with the scope at 22 power or through my 25X Kowa spotting scope.  We could see the dinger swing slightly when hit and hear the “tink” of impact though.  After 8 hits I cranked the power up to 32 and I could then make out the hits (barely) on target.  There was 8 hits low and slightly right.  I went up .5 moa and left .5 and then had 3 hits on the X ring at 3 o’clock.  As the wind shifted I had to make more corrections as the wind was deviling me.  I was giving 2 -3 minutes between shots to keep the suppressor somewhat cool.  All in all I ended up with 19 hits for score on target.  The miss would have been a  9 (1000 yard scoring rings) at 9 o’clock as it was just off the left when the dying wind caught me.  Even then 12 – 15 of them in what would have been the X and 10 ring on a 1000 yard target.  Here is the target after I shot it;

All in all a good morning shooting long range.  When I got home I repainted the target and put 1000 yard score rings on it for the next trip to the range.

Hopefully the hits will show up better……

slim1836 
    Participant
    • Bronze
    • Comments: 61
    • Overall: 64

Excellent shooting, I could only wish.

Thanks for sharing.

Slim

Jniedbalski 
    Participant
    • Silver
    • ★★
    • Comments: 118
    • Overall: 133

24’’ target at 1000 to 1200 yards I bet looks very small. To bad I don’t have anywhere around my house to shoot that far. Great article

Larry Gibson 
    Participant
    • Gold
    • ★★★
    • Gold

Certainly is small to the naked eye for sure.  Especially at that range(s) shooting for score is a lot different than shooting for group.  A good scope is a definite plus.

Larry Gibson

Mike F H 
    Participant
    • Bronze
    • Comments: 21
    • Overall: 21

Nice shooting Larry,the 24” diameter bull is the same size as the bull we use in Australia for our Match Rifle Matches that are shot at 1,000, 1,100 &

1,200 yards.Calibre is 308 Winchester,shot prone or from the supine (back) position,though no one here is a back gunner,some of the British do though and are very good at it.Most of the barrels are 32 or 34“ long,usually the 34“ ones are  fluted as there is a 2.5 kilogram barrel weight limit. It can be hard when the wind is moving a lot,but very rewarding to get a good score,particularly at 1,200 yards.

Mike.

Larry Gibson 
    Participant
    • Gold
    • ★★★
    • Gold

Hopefully next week I’ll get back out and give 1200 yards a whirl.  I have shot my M70 .308W target rifle out to 1600 yards before with very good results.  Not on that target but on a dark spot on a rock bluff.  Was able to see the hits.  Once I was on target (scope elevation maxed out and plus additional hold over) I was amazed at how well it did.

My Daughter and son SIL came out to Phoenix for the Fiesta Bowl on the 1st and stayed over for a few days to vist.  Wife and I took the 5th wheel over and stayed at Ben Avery’s camp site.  Ben Avery is an excellent range complex run by the Arizona Fish & Game  Department just north of Phoenix.  Daughter and SIL love to shoot so we spent an afternoon with them on the main range shooting the suppressed rifle at 200 yards.  Last relay ended up being a competition between them so each got 5 shots at a 1″ square paster at 200 yards.  Daughter hit it 3 times and SIL hit it 2 times.  Both 5 shot groups were less than moa…….. I was a proud papa……

Larry Gibson

• This reply was modified 1 month, 2 weeks ago by  Larry Gibson.
     Larry Gibson 
    Participant
    • Gold
    • ★★★
    • Gold

Got out to my 1000 yard range yesterday.  Was a nice day for LR shooting except the wind picked up a but running 2 -3 mph out of 9-10 o’clock but gusting to 5 -7 mph.  Mirage was also heavy enough we could not see the impacts through the 32X of the NF scope or my 25X Kowa spotting scope.  We could see any misses impact in the dirt behind the gong though.

The 1st sighter went low just off at 5 o’clock for a probable 9.  Went up 1 moa and 2nd sighter went just off at 3 o’clock for another probable 9.  Went left 1 moa and shot 10 for record.  Even though we couldn’t see the bullets hit we knew the target was hit because there was an impact light on the back of the gong.  You can see the plexiglass lens at 12 o’clock peeking over the target.  When the target is hit it flashes red…..handy device for LR shooting.

The score rings are for NRA High Power 1000 yd target; X is 10″ and 10 ring is 20″.  Scored a 99 with 5X  with about a 1 1/2 moa group so I was quite pleased with the 22″ barreled .308W sporter M70 rifle.  Had I seen the bullet impacts I could have better adjusted for the wind but, oh well, was certainly fun enough as it was…..

Larry Gibson

• This reply was modified 1 month, 2 weeks ago by  Larry Gibson.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2017 Goodsteel Forum. Designed by Covalent Designs, LLC.

or    

Forgot your details?

Create Account

If you have any questions or comments, please contact us by clicking the button below.

Contact Us