• Author
      Larry Gibson
      Participant
      • Gold
      • ★★★
      • Comments: 507
      • Overall: 562
      • Gold

Started a new thread here because this is more about the competition than the MN and I didn’t want to add on to the previous MN thread.

Anyways the CBA Phoenix boys (great bunch BTW) wanted another run at me since, to quote them, I cleaned their clock at the AZ state Military Rifle Match in April. I’m a glutton for punishment so I went back over to this month’s Military Rifle Match there at the Ben Avery Range Complex north of Phoenix. For those who haven’t been there it is an awesome range complex with just about every genre of shooting available. The BR range has 65 benches and is a 300 yard range.

Last Sunday morning at 0800 it was 92 degrees and when we finished at 1030 it was 104 degrees. Fortunately the line is covered and well shaded. During summer months the Phoenix CBA bunch only shoot for score and group at 100 yards forestalling the 200 yard shooting due to the heat. We shot for score 1st; 10 shots + sighters in 15 minutes for 2 strings on 2 separate NRA 100/600 yard reduced targets with a 7 minute break between strings. Then we put up new targets, cried a lot over what we had just done………and then shot for group.The wind as usual came up and no wind flags or streamers are allowed so it took it’s toll. By the time I figured the effect the wind and the increased temp was having on my load I had dropped a few points. The sighters give some indication but it’s almost impossible to detect and shift in wind on that range……it shifted, increased and decreased several times and caught me. especially on my second string for score. My 2 string aggregate score was a 192-5X.

When shooting for group I did not make any sight changes but held hard on the center of the bull The max allowed is a 6X scope so seeing the “X” in the middle is “iffy” with any mirage at all. You can see how the increased wind (out of 4 – 5 o’clock at 2 – 6 mph…..that’s my guestimate anyway) in the 2nd string shifted the group left and slightly up. The Aggregate groups size was 1.677″

The boys took a hard run at me but they had the same problems I did so at the end of the day (gawd I hate that over used saying) I prevailed and won the match again with the highest aggregate score and smallest aggregate group. It’s a fun match and, as I said, a great bunch of guys.

Larry Gibson

reloader762
      Participant
      • Bronze
      • Comments: 80
      • Overall: 95

Congrats again on the win an some great shooting. That’s a really nice range,I sure wish I had a place like that to shoot as the one closest to me that’s even similar cost you about 1K to joint and about 4 C notes a year to reup your membership. We have a nice public range that the state just rebuilt entirely which is a couple hours away an I will make a day trip out of it once I get things worked out with some loads I want to test at long range.

oldblinddog
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★
      • Comments: 110
      • Overall: 114

I like that range! Great shooting! Congratulations on the win.

chutesnreloads
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★
      • Comments: 161
      • Overall: 165

at least their clocks will be nice and shiny for a while…….nice shooting.

Scharfschuetze
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★
      • Comments: 190
      • Overall: 193

Great shooting Larry. That Finn has sure paid for itself a couple of times over.

Goodsteel
      Keymaster
      • Gold
      • ★★★
      • Comments: 2452
      • Overall: 2660

Excellent shooting Larry.

goody
      Participant
      • Bronze
      • Comments: 74
      • Overall: 92

Well done, now that you repeated the feat your stomp gets higher off the ground!!

Bullseye67
      Participant
      • Bronze
      • Comments: 16
      • Overall: 16

Awesome looking groups!! Another excellent result from a dedicated MASTER……Thank you for all that you do.

Doc Highwall
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★
      • Comments: 123
      • Overall: 131

Congratulations and nice shooting Larry!

Anonymous
      Inactive
      • Bronze
      • Comments: 7
      • Overall: 7

Darn braggy guy! How come I can’t shoot like that?! 😉

Sounds like it was a wonderful day. Happy beat ’em again!

bjornb
      • Silver
      • ★★
      • Comments: 163
      • Overall: 176

I bet Frank regrets the day he challenged you to shoot CBA matches……..
      I’ll head out your way when the temps get closer to Florida’s!!

Larry Gibson
      Participant
      • Gold
      • ★★★
      • Gold

Shot another CBA Military Rifle match with the M39 and same load today. We shot two 10 shot strings for score at 100 yards and two 10 shot strings for score at 200 yards. The MR-31 target (NRA High Power 600 reduced for 100 yards) and at 200 yards the MR-52 (NRA High Power 600 reduced to 200 yards) are used. It was cold at 45 – 50 degrees (well that’s cold to us desert rats anyways….:rolleyes:) with a misty drizzle rain and switching light wind. Many don’t realize how much a slight 2 -3 mph wind can blow a cast bullet off at 200 yards. It makes it really challenging.

Here’s my 100 yard targets;

Here’s the 200 yard targets

20170115_104518.png

Anyways I ended up with an agg of 196-9X (maybe 10?) at 100 yards and an agg of 190-4X at 200 yards for a total agg of 384-13X……I was happy with that.

Larry Gibson

Scharfschuetze
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★
      • Comments: 190
      • Overall: 193

Well done Larry.

Wish I was a little closer. Our cast bullet matches up here won’t start for a few months.

Larry Gibson
      Participant
      • Gold
      • ★★★
      • Gold

Scharfschuetze

The CBA guys over in Phoenix shoot mostly “Issue” class (a couple ‘A3s and a guy showed up with a German military Match M98) or “Modified Scope” class. They disdain the allowed modifications of military stocks, sporter stocks and shortening of the barrel. The rifles used so far are pretty much in original configuration with bedding and trigger tweaking allowed. I’m the only one using a MN…….;) Those shooting Modified Scope class all pretty much use the maximum allowed 6X in various makes of scopes. It’s a fun match. They alternate Military Rifle matches with Commercial Rifle matches every other month.

They shoot a Big Bore match after the Military Rifle match and a Mini Palma after the Commercial Rifle match. You’d fit right in with your M1884 TD and your M52 Winchester. After the match I usually hit a gunshop or Cabella’s…….:cool:

Larry Gibson

Menner
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★
      • Comments: 120
      • Overall: 124

Good Shooting Larry
      Tony

uber7mm
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★
      • Comments: 288
      • Overall: 305

Larry Gibson;n13223 wrote:
      ….After the match I usually hit a gunshop or Cabella’s…….:cool:

I’d be careful. I got lost in Cabela’s once. Took all day to get out.

Made a wrong turn and landed in an African velt.
      Good thing the dangerous game animals were stuffed… LOL

Viewing 15 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2017 Goodsteel Forum. Designed by Covalent Designs, LLC.