This topic contains 2 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Darren McCann 8 months, 1 week ago.

• Author
     Larry Gibson 
    Participant
    • Gold
    • ★★★
    • Comments: 483
    • Overall: 532
    • Gold

Beautiful day here in the SW (Arizona) so I slipped off to the range for a couple hours.  No serious testing today, just shooting up some odds n ends.  Had some match loads in ’06 for use in the M1903A1 National Match Type II rifle I buil up from a bare DHT M1903 action I was given some years back.  It’s always been a shooter.  Bullseye67 shot it last a few months back and reported on it over the now defunct 500 yard HV thread.  Maybe we can persuade him to post here as he is a good shooter and is working on some HV XCB loads in a 15″ twist .308W he’s having built.

Anyways there was a partial box of the 30 XCB s loaded.  It was with weight sorted and match selected XCBs cast of #2 alloy WQ’d in LC 67 match cases with WLR primers.  The load was 20 gr Alliant 2400 with a 1 – 1 1/2 gr Dacron filler.  The XCBs were GC’d and lubed in a .311 H&I die in a Lyman 450 with 2500+ lube.  The bullets were not sized at all as they drop a very consistent .3105 from the 4 cavity aluminum NOE mould.

I set up at one of the solid benches with a High Power 200 yard reduced for 100 yard target at 100 yards.

I set the elevation a 11 1/2 moa up but got interrupted by another shooter and forgot to adjust the windage 2 1/4 moa right.  Thus my 1st sighter was left and not realizing I hadn’t adjusted the windage I only went right 1 1/2 moa.  At the 2nd sighter I thought, “this isn’t right” and then noticed my mistake.  After setting the windage to the proper right 2 1/4 moa

The 1st shot for record was the X at 5 o’clock.  Decided that was close enough I then shot the next 9 shots for record.  Ended up with 8 solid Xs and two 10s.  Group size was 1.65″ which is about as good as my sorry old eyes will do anymore.

All in all I was pretty pleased.  Had an enjoyable afternoon.  Now I need to cast up a boatload of NOE 30 XCBs.  Might have to try that load in “grandpa’s (that’s me) old M70″…….. that has a scope on it……..

Larry Gibson

Edward 
    Participant
    • Bronze
    • Comments: 2
    • Overall: 2

Looks like you had a great day at the range ,mine is under 2+ feet of snow . Target looked good too ,and if those are sorry eyes making those holes guess I have to change my name to Ray Charles !!!!!

Darren McCann 
    Participant
    • Bronze
    • Comments: 15
    • Overall: 19

Good evening,

I am glad to see I didn’t spoil the way it shoots…..LOL  That group looks very similar to the one I shot. That was a fantastic day.

I am working away on my 15” twist rifle. Two weeks ago I thought I would be shooting gophers with it. Today was the 8th cra**y day with -19C and a sharp wind blowing!! We usually are snow free and grass turning green at this time of year, on well Mother Nature knows what she is doing!!

Darren/Bullseye67

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2017 Goodsteel Forum. Designed by Covalent Designs, LLC.

or    

Forgot your details?

Create Account

If you have any questions or comments, please contact us by clicking the button below.

Contact Us