Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      Sgt. Mike
      Participant
      • Gold
      • ★★★
      • Comments: 789
      • Overall: 873

Link to instructions:   http://m14forum.com/gunsmithing/119557-how-install-roller.html

Gus Fisher wrote:

When I got my original bolt roller assembly tool in the 70’s, they could be found on the surplus market fairly easily. As late as the 80’s, they were still to be found in the Suppy System, though by the 90’s, the cost in the Supply System was so extravagant that we issued an extra pair of needle nose pliers to everyone and told them to make a set for themself.

Perhaps I can pull out mine and take some measurements and hole size off it again.

Later in the Thread he responded again with :

OK, just got done measuring and doing a little research:

The tool is called “Pliers, retaining ring, bolt roller, 7799723 ”

I disagree with the author that “they got broke all the time.” You hardly ever use these and when you are careful, they will last for decades.

The thickness measures .070″ thick. They can be a LITTLE thicker than that, but much more and you don’t have room for the roller to snap down over the pliers to install the roller.

The hole on mine is worn and the best measurement I get is .270″ which is a bit larger than a 17/64″ drill bit will bore at .2656″ diameter. I believe they were drilled with a Letter Size “H” drill bit at .2660″ diameter. If you don’t have Letter Size drill bits, I would use the 17/64″ bit and polish the hole with a half round needle file and garnet paper, IF you need to do it. The IMPORTANT thing about the hole is when the pliers are closed tight around the roller clip, they must just slip down over the stem of the bolt that supports the roller.

Now, the bad news. You will have to forge or grind a pair of needle nose pliers down to he .070″ thickness or perhaps look for a pair of snap ring pliers to begin with as shown in the link. THEN you have to harden and anneal the pliers correctly OR at least use Kasenit, after getting the correct thickness and drilling the hole, so the hole won’t wear out quickly and they are not too soft or too brittle to use.

Hope that helps you Tim …. Delete this later after you print it for your records / notes

Sgt. Mike
      Participant
      • Gold
      • ★★★

hopefully  images from the TM helps

Sgt. Mike
      Participant
      • Gold
      • ★★★

roller can be removed by grinding a small flat then twisting with heavy pliers to crack and pull off. Notice c-clip still intact. Just one way to do it not my preferred way

Goodsteel
      Keymaster
      • Gold
      • ★★★
      • Comments: 2452
      • Overall: 2660

Thanks Sarge. You’re a wealth of information.

Ive got an M1A in the shop that came in for making a threaded adapter for use with a suppressor. Really tacticool looking unit in a chassis system, but it was obviously not well thought out or implemented. The client asked me to bring it up to snuff and repair or replace everything that was needed. Well I thought I was done, and I was setting the sights when I noticed the brass started kicking out at 3:00 instead of 1:00. Then, it missed a cartridge pickup. Obviously something was slowing the bolt down. I worked it manually and noticed it binding on the return stroke and I had to push hard to get it shut. No bueno. So I took it all apart (quite the ordeal with that crazy chassis system) and when I dislodged the charging handle, the roller fell out on the bench. Dam it.

Yep, looks like I’ll be making some pliers.

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2017 Goodsteel Forum. Designed by Covalent Designs, LLC.