Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      redriverhunter
      Participant
      • Bronze
      • Comments: 22
      • Overall: 47

hello all I have a question about the lyman Borecam Digital Borescope. I have wanted a bore scope for a while, but I question is it truly necessary for a guy who most hunts and works up the best load they can. I do not shoot competition, or buy or sell firearms frequently. your thoughts please.

chutesnreloads
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★
      • Comments: 161
      • Overall: 165

I’d advise you to remain in blissful peace without one.Like a chronograph.They’re useful and sometimes fun but do most of us really need one?

Doc Highwall
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★
      • Comments: 123
      • Overall: 131

I have one and the primary use that I use it for is making sure the barrel and throat are really clean. I did look down the barrel of my Anschutz and a friends Anschutz and was amazed at the imperfections that were in them, and really amazed how well they both shot.

Goodsteel
      Keymaster
      • Gold
      • ★★★
      • Comments: 2452
      • Overall: 2660

I’m on a journey with my borescope to discover for myself what really matters and what doesn’t. Like Doc Highwall, I have often found that lubed lead bullets shoot extremely well in bores that display all the classic attributes of a premium barrel, but also have tooling marks present. I believe these tooling marks would shred an ordinary jacketed bullet, but we know that cast bullets often ride on a film of lube and by the time they reach the end of the barrel they are not touching the barrel at all. The only explanation I have is that these tooling marks actually make that lube film thicker and get the bullet floating on the lube sooner.

It’s a fascinating tool to use to monitor your barrel conditions and learn what matters and what doesn’t, but honestly, a paper target at 100 yards can tell you that just as well, even though it doesn’t explain why. As a gunsmith, it’s in my best interest to know exactly what and why things are happening, but like I’ve said many times, I do my best shooting on the bench building rifles, and that’s a totally different thing. You as a shooter do not need a borescope to be a better shooter unless you are on the very cutting edge of accuracy, and every little thing can throw you off. I don’t see any reason to spend the money if you are neither a gunsmith nor a shooter looking to hold groups to the decimal. The money you spend would be much better used on bullets, powder and range time IMHO.

redriverhunter
      Participant
      • Bronze
      • Comments: 22
      • Overall: 47

thanks for the replies. I can not justify the cost for the amount of use i would get out of it.

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2017 Goodsteel Forum. Designed by Covalent Designs, LLC.