Viewing 13 reply threads
  • Author
      jevyod
      Participant
      • Bronze
      • Comments: 4
      • Overall: 6

I have something like 350lbs of Lyman # 2 on hand. I alloyed a lot thinking I could use it for all my casting needs since it seems to be quite a good alloy. My question is will this be ok to shoot in my 45acp? I know it is considered to be more expensive than needed but I got 130lbs of Lino for free and my Coww cost me about $.50 per pound so I don’t have too much cost in the alloy. I do have maybe 25lbs of pure that I could use to cut the alloy with, but am trying to stay away from purchasing more pure. Thoughts? I powdercoat all my handgun bullets.

dale2242
      Participant
      • Bronze
      • Comments: 1
      • Overall: 1

I use my generic Lyman #2 for all my handgun bullets.
      I lube with NRA 50/50……dale

Goodsteel
      Keymaster
      • Gold
      • ★★★
      • Comments: 2452
      • Overall: 2660

Totally unnecessary. A 45 ACP will almost shoot pure lead.
      Lyman #2 is target rifle fodder, or HV hunting alloy.
      If I were you, I would cut that stuff 1part #2 to 4 parts COWW. This will give you an alloy of 96.1% lead, 2.8% antimony, and 1% tin.
      Size .002 over groove diameter and let the good times roll.

StratsMan
      Participant
      • Bronze

I’ve also found that by softening the alloy for my 45’s and not pushing them too hard, I have a really clean bore at the end of my session… Heck, I often don’t even bother to clean it! My recipe is 4.0 to 4.2 grains of Bullseye for cast in 45acp… could go more, but that runs every auto I have (Glock, Sig, milsurp)

Alan in Vermont
      Participant
      • Bronze
      • Comments: 2
      • Overall: 2

Goodsteel;n1086 wrote: Totally unnecessary. A 45 ACP will almost shoot pure lead.
      Lyman #2 is target rifle fodder, or HV hunting alloy.
      If I were you, I would cut that stuff 1part #2 to 4 parts COWW. This will give you an alloy of 96.1% lead, 2.8% antimony, and 1% tin.
      Size .002 over groove diameter and let the good times roll.

Gotta agree with Goodsteel. 45 ACP will shoot just about anything for an alloy, with softer generally better results.

Even though you got your Lino for free why waste it where it’s not going to do anything for you? Save it to sweeten your alloy for when it is needed. If you shoot it all up at 800 fps you may well wish you had it later, when you want to work with rifle bullets. I’m currently running 30-1 at mid-teens velocity on 30-30, granted, with gas checks and getting good results AKA decent accuracy and no leading at 14-1500 fps.

VANN
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★
      • Comments: 123
      • Overall: 134

I agree with all of the above, almost all of my pistol ammo is cww. Sometimes it’s 50/50 cww and pure lead. That lino is great for bartering instead of burning it up in a pistol you could just about double it in a trade.

Anonymous
      Inactive
      • Bronze
      • Comments: 3
      • Overall: 4

Soften it up and save the good stuff. 45 Auto is a relatively low pressure round comparatively. Yet another reason why the brass lasts about as long as you can keep up with it.

chutesnreloads
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★
      • Comments: 161
      • Overall: 165

What the others have said………ESPECIALLY since you’re powder coating them too.I feel your pain but am in same boat…got good supply of lino and in the market for some soft stuff to cut it with.
      Got a good recipe from some guy on another forum went by the handle Goodsteel, makes great alloy for light pistol and hunting loads for rifle when PC’d 2 lbs.Lino
      14 lbs. pure Pb.
      Pinch of tin

I’ve been calling it Goodsteel’s Formula

OldFogey
      Participant
      • Bronze
      • Comments: 3
      • Overall: 3

FWIW:
      I have experimented with alloys from #2 to SOWW for my 1911 quite a bit. I powder coat for all my handguns. What I have found is the harder alloy is a waste. Got good results all the way down to pure, EXCEPT I could not get pure to size without deformation. What I settled on is 3 lbs of COWW, 6 lbs of pure and about a quarter pound of tin. (My pot holds 10 lbs.) I I get better fill out with the added tin This is in a Lee 552-200 SWC mold.

Goodsteel
      Keymaster
      • Gold
      • ★★★

chutesnreloads;n1568 wrote: What the others have said………ESPECIALLY since you’re powder coating them too.I feel your pain but am in same boat…got good supply of lino and in the market for some soft stuff to cut it with.
      Got a good recipe from some guy on another forum went by the handle Goodsteel, makes great alloy for light pistol and hunting loads for rifle when PC’d 2 lbs.Lino
      14 lbs. pure Pb.
      Pinch of tin

I’ve been calling it Goodsteel’s Formula

That would be me. The alloy is called House alloy. What you want is about 2.4% of both tin and antimony. Yes, it freakin rocks. Air cool for pistol (14 BHN) and water drop for rifle (24 BHN if you cast shiny bullets and 27BHN if you cast frosty bullets).

chutesnreloads
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★

Think its even softer than that.Can scratch it with my thumbnail

Goodsteel
      Keymaster
      • Gold
      • ★★★

Oh you’re right. that’s not House alloy. That’s only 1.5% Sb. My bad. Still a good alloy. That’s about the same as 50/50+tin.

chutesnreloads
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★

Yep….I love it with PC….accurate with some expansion on impact.Sooner or later I’ll poke a hog with it and get a real terminal balistics test

Pigslayer
      Participant
      • Bronze

Used to shoot nothing but #2. Was wasting money doing that. Ed Harris over at CBA told me about 40:1 alloy. I now use that in all of my subsonic pistol loads. Casts beautifully, shoots well, no leading & easier on my wallet!

Viewing 13 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2017 Goodsteel Forum. Designed by Covalent Designs, LLC.