This topic contains 5 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  nagantguy 2 years, 9 months ago.

• Author
     nagantguy 
    Participant
    • Bronze
    • Comments: 19
    • Overall: 23

After years and years of want, as in being on my list of wants since I got out of the Corp and another 2 years of negotiations sweet talking and back and forth I finally have a 10″ contender pistol in .44 mag . Been a huge encore fan since 1999 and have taken a vast majority of my deer with it in one flavor or another but this shorty just seems to be an extension of my will, every shootable even with the big 310 lee thumpers! Only thing I have to remedy is that it has a black synthetic forend with the two screw holes for the 12 inch barrels, which is okay because part two of the want list is a 12 inch .357 Maximum barrel ! So far the two best loads are a 250 grain pc’d Keith style boolit over 20ish grains of 2400 and then dig lee thumper over 15 or 16 2400, the same lee 310 over H110 is almost as accurate but it sure is a handful and since ya don’t need a death ray to kill deer hogs and coyotes I think the 2400 loads will serve well. The one I got has a very nice bushnell scope and the Tboss of whatever the 6 hole mounting system is. And the competition grip, walnut with a rubber almost Houge like blackstrap it fills the hand well and makes a crushing gorilla grip easy. Anyone have any favorite recipes for this setup? I haven’t gotten her out to 200 yet but 100 yard groups with a good rest are minute of whitetail all day, standard playing cards at 50 yards , you can pick which heart or club you wanna punch, best part deal also included some factory ammo, once fired brass and a very nice case!

Rattlesnake Charlie 
    Participant
    • Gold
    • ★★★
    • Comments: 679
    • Overall: 831

Good snag. I wanted a Contender when they came out, but being on a sailor’s budget it was not to happen. Some time later I got the SA revolver bug and have never looked back. That decision was reinforced when I fired a friend’s Encore in .500 S&W. A beautiful custom wood grips and a nice scope, but recoil is more than stiff.

slim1836 
    Participant
    • Bronze
    • Comments: 62
    • Overall: 65

I never got caught up in the Contender craze, but if you’re happy, I tickled pink.
    I’m sure you are one happy camper.

Slim

Goodsteel 
    Keymaster
    • Gold
    • ★★★
    • Comments: 2452
    • Overall: 2660

Wish I could wrap my paws around that puppy! Good score!

Phil 
    Participant
    • Bronze
    • Comments: 52
    • Overall: 54

Good snag — enjoy the critter.

I have a Gen 1 contender I bought new in the 80’s with a 14″ .223 barrel. I now have a 357 Mag barrel and a 22 RF barrel. I have started putting reflex sights on the barrels.

nagantguy 
    Participant
    • Bronze
    • Comments: 19
    • Overall: 23

Looking hard for a 357 max barrel, but I’ve been enjoying the 44 a lot , yesterday shooting was disappointed when a test group wasn’t on the 8inch shoot an see at 100 yards but closer look showed a tight almost clover leaf group with one flyer about an 2 inches lower at 6 o’clock, few clicks up, bam last two shots either side of the bull almost centered! Some has worked on this barrel, that .4 “forcing cone” that t/c calls a lead has been expertly removed and a very nice crown job

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2017 Goodsteel Forum. Designed by Covalent Designs, LLC.