Viewing 20 reply threads
  • Author
      Anonymous
      Inactive
      • Silver
      • ★★
      • Comments: 109
      • Overall: 143

I am looking at a Caldwell C2, a Pro Chrony and a CED M2. I don’t mind spending a little more to get more but all things the same I would not like to over pay. Any suggestions or comments about these or any others?

Thanks, a

WCM
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★
      • Comments: 368
      • Overall: 398

I would probably look at this one if I had some extra money to spend.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/523157/labradar-ballistic-velocity-doppler-radar-chronograph

Larry Gibson
      Participant
      • Gold
      • ★★★
      • Comments: 507
      • Overall: 562
      • Gold

Might take a look at the Oehler M35P. You can get it complete including a case. It’s the chronograph all others are judged by.

Larry Gibson

Smoke4320
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★
      • Comments: 140
      • Overall: 151

the Lab Radar outclasses everything else in ease of setup and accuracy .. check them out ..

kens
      Participant
      • Gold
      • ★★★
      • Comments: 531
      • Overall: 587

retread;n12749 wrote: I am looking at a Caldwell C2, a Pro Chrony and a CED M2. I don’t mind spending a little more to get more but all things the same I would not like to over pay. Any suggestions or comments about these or any others?

Thanks, a

My question back to you is,
      what are you expecting to do with it?
      Are you reloading and looking at velocities & consistent speeds?
      Are you wanting to assemble calibrated loads for resale & liability purposes?
      I reload and use a Midway Chrony for low money, it tells me velocity, average spread , and some other data, it works fine for me.
      I have had 2 of them and both work just fine until a shotgun wad blows them to smithereens.

Anonymous
      Inactive
      • Silver
      • ★★

Just for my own reloading and load development.

Anonymous
      Inactive
      • Silver
      • ★★

I am afraid the Oehler and the Lab Radar are a bit out of my budget. Wish I had the spare cash but other things take precedent right now. Thanks for your input guys.

Jay

Screwbolts
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★
      • Comments: 97
      • Overall: 101

I think I got my first Crony back in the late 80s, it had card board windows to fire threw. A 50 cal ball from a ML pistol did it in. My second Crony was destroyed when a .58 cal felt wad took the display out. I am currently using my third unit that has a remote display, remote display is a must in my opinion. the face of # 3 looks sand blasted from the years of use.

The Crony has always worked well for myself and other family members.

Ken

WCM
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★

I have an old Oehler 33 that I bought many years ago.
      I need to buy some new sky screens for it ,as my son accidently assaulted one with a 9mm.

dragon813gt
      Participant
      • Bronze
      • Comments: 79
      • Overall: 84

Save for a LabRadar. They’re worth the price of admission. Over time the price should come down as more companies start using the technology. I had no issue paying what they were asking. I would save up for one.

Scharfschuetze
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★
      • Comments: 190
      • Overall: 193

I need to replace my PACT chronograph because the newly installed bullet baffles at my range shade the chronograph’s sky screens. I use LED lights over the screens, but they do not always give enough shadow for accurate readings. I was thinking of buying an infra red chronograph, but report back on those are not always positive. But now…

I’m going to research prices on the doppler radar unit and probably order it in a day or so. Thanks for the tip on that piece of equipment.

WCM
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★

It is on my want to buy list, but I had to buy a new clothes dryer. I hope to get one sometime later this year.

Scharfschuetze
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★

I ordered that Radarlab doppler chronograph today. Delivery is projected at about a week from now. I’ll post a report after I use it a few times.

jwt
      Participant
      • Bronze
      • Comments: 18
      • Overall: 20

I have a Magnetospeed but haven’t taken it for a spin yet. They are completely independent of the lighting. Only disadvantage I see with it is that it wont work for most handguns without some sort of stand.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/628777/magnetospeed-v3-ballistic-chronograph

Scharfschuetze
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★

jwt;n12863 wrote: I have a Magnetospeed but haven’t taken it for a spin yet. They are completely independent of the lighting. Only disadvantage I see with it is that it wont work for most handguns without some sort of stand.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/628777/magnetospeed-v3-ballistic-chronograph

I thought about one of those too, but as you note, revolvers seem to be out and I think that military rifles with their full length stocks would also prove a problem. Those that use them at our club range report they work well, but only with a long and bare barrel.

Reg
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★
      • Comments: 256
      • Overall: 296

First crono was a Chrony and it worked well until one day when I smacked it with a 44 caliber gas check . That fixed it !!
      Second and current is a Caldwell and it works well but I did notice it is a bit sensitive to lighting.
      One thing I have done is when the Caldwell came in I mounted it to a small piece of aluminum plate, 3/8″ x 4″ wide and longer than the unit.
      The front sticks out about 2 inches longer than the crono and on this end I set a one half inch thick block of Lexan that protects the whole
      front of the unit. Hopefully this will stop gas checks and about anything else short of an actual bullet.
      Am not sure what it all means but another thing I have noticed with this clear plastic mounted over the front is the sometimes
      amount of bullet lube that gets splattered on the front of it. Too much lube ?? Lube purging ?? Still learning here.

Scharfschuetze
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★

What lube are you using and what is the velocity? I use NRA ALOX formula lube by ether RCBS or Lyman. The only time that I’ve noted any lube spun off a projectile was in very cold weather (20 F or so ) when I found lube on top of snow after it had spun off of the 45 ACP bullets. I’ve never seen any on my chronograph.

Reg
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★

I use several different lubes including 45-45-10 which has never shown signs of shedding whatever. The main culprit is some stuff we dreamed up at least 20 years ago and sorry to say we made about 10 pounds of it. Sorry because we made so much of it and it works so good.
      I would have to dig in the archives but I think it consists of Vaseline,paraffin wax , powdered graphite a few other choice items and I think Flicker threw in a toilet ring ( bees wax ) to boot. After all these years I think I still have a three pound coffee can full of it.
      Seldom do any of my velocities exceed 2000 fps, some down to 700/750 or so. Never have I had any signs of leading.

I think what is going on is that of the many molds I have most are of the older style, larger grease grooves. Now we know with the newer lubes such as 45-45-10 and some of the Alox lubes, smaller and shallower grooves work as well or even in some cases better.
      My technique no doubt might also be to blame. I never trust anything no matter what completely. If I think there might even be the slightest possibility of leading, I tumble the heads in 45-45-10, let dry ( apply gas check if needed ) then size if needed, back in the 45-45-10 again then pan lube with the super stuff then load.
      Accuracy with about anything from .22 Hornet to 45-70 is usually always acceptable but being that there is always something to learn I have tried cutting back on lubes and using different designs of cast bullets object being to see if there is a accuracy difference in the respect of possible lube purging.
      Lube purging is real !!

I think what is going on is large grease grooves filled with a softer lube and at certain velocities due to centrifugal force the lube sheds itself after leaving the bore. It dosn’t seem to hurt much as accuracy seems generally ( once the load is figured out ) to be what one should think it should be. Just sometimes funky looking on the scatter shield in front of the chronograph. I never did look on the snow in front of the bench but would almost bet one would find it there also.

Scharfschuetze
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★

I think what is going on is large grease grooves filled with a softer lube and at certain velocities due to centrifugal force the lube sheds itself after leaving the bore. It dosn’t seem to hurt much as accuracy seems generally ( once the load is figured out ) to be what one should think it should be. Just sometimes funky looking on the scatter shield in front of the chronograph. I never did look on the snow in front of the bench but would almost bet one would find it there also.

That makes sense Reg.

Those 45 ACP (RCBS 230 and 200 grain moulds) that I use have fairly large lube grooves. I used to fill them with Lyman graphite lube in the 70s, but now I just use the Alox formula lubes which really don’t need the big lube grooves. I think the very cold temperatures had something to do with the lube coming off, even though the 45 ACP velocity was only 800 fps or so. Next time I shoot cast rifle bullets over fresh snow, I’m going to take a closer look at the snow before walking over it.

popper
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★
      • Comments: 293
      • Overall: 294

I got the cheaper Chrony model for ~100 and then you get to spend another $100 for a decent tripod. Add some weight to the hook at the bottom to keep it from falling over. I don’t use it often but taped the skyscreens & rods together, put them in the tripod bag. If the $ for the labradar gets to $250 it’s probably a good deal. Biggest advantage is NO downrange setup. I looked at the blade one but don’t think it does cast very well. Labradar is made by a Canadian military supplier so I doubt the price will drop much due to competition- patented. Except for the Chineese.

Reg
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★

Scharfschuetze;n13001 wrote:

That makes sense Reg.

Those 45 ACP (RCBS 230 and 200 grain moulds) that I use have fairly large lube grooves. I used to fill them with Lyman graphite lube in the 70s, but now I just use the Alox formula lubes which really don’t need the big lube grooves. I think the very cold temperatures had something to do with the lube coming off, even though the 45 ACP velocity was only 800 fps or so. Next time I shoot cast rifle bullets over fresh snow, I’m going to take a closer look at the snow before walking over it.

Your thought of the colder temps having an effect on the lube — I think you are on to something here. Just one factor but a factor non the less.
      We have good snow cover right now and if we can keep it might try out a couple ideas next week.
      The one thing we must keep in mind is that after the bullet has left the bore then the lube’s job is done– correct ??

Viewing 20 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2017 Goodsteel Forum. Designed by Covalent Designs, LLC.