Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
      Bisley
      Participant
      • Bronze
      • Comments: 3
      • Overall: 5

Here’s my situation: I own some antimony I need to melt into allow at around 1200 degrees. The stuff will dissolve into lead at normal casting temperatures, but it does not really form alloy, I am told. The plumber’s furnace my late father had would give me 1200 degrees plus. I haven’t seen one in over seventeen years. Can a turkey fryer do this or would I need another burner to get the temperature? Does anybody sell a setup like this? Could I safely modify a turkey fryer, and how?

I am thinking of a gas burner with a 20-25 pound capacity lead pot, on a stand heavy enough to support it.

If anybody has one to sell, I’d be interested. I have time to look.

Bisley

Harter
      Participant
      • Gold
      • ★★★
      • Comments: 807
      • Overall: 883

I have a Camp Chief brand high pressure turkey burner . . I believe it is rated at 80,000 BTU and I think it would probably do that. On the short mount legs I’ve had 100# lead on it . It will bring a steamer pot with 5 gallons of water to a 200* boil from tap temperature in 5 minutes and requires only about 15 minute warm up to get 4 gallons of peanut oil from 40 to 400 degrees .
      Wheel weights in an empty 16″ cast iron pot take about 40 minutes to get down to stirring in the last of the clip bearing floaters .

afish4570
      Participant
      • Bronze
      • Comments: 9
      • Overall: 11

For $20 on sale with a 20% coupon get the Harbor Fr. Brush Burner without the Elec. start button. These are propane fired using your 20# bottle used on your gas grill.This is used as an auxillary heat source and can be hand held to heat your pot or propped securing on spots around the pot to heat as required. I use a cut off old 20 # propane bottle as a melting pot…NEVER USE ALUMINUM POTS. Imelted an alum roasting pan of commerial weight that I used as a wind shield. The propped up brush burner moved slightly and melted the corn off in a short time. Using your turkey cooking rig you should be good to go and the brush burner giving you an extra heat source. Good luck…Check the how to safely cut an old 20# bottle for your smelting pot on casting forums…use my name to begin your seach. afish4570

blackthorn
      Participant
      • Bronze
      • Comments: 17
      • Overall: 17

Here you go: Smelting pot
      A pot can be made from an old 20 pound propane cylinder. Screw out the valve, fill the tank with water, and use a zip-cut tool to cut a larger hole in the top of the tank. Next, dump out the water, lay the tank on its side and cut around the circumference close to the “shoulder” on the tank. A makeshift burner for running the pot can be made using a Tiger torch, a 45 degree steel, galvanized or cast pluming elbow and 4 cement building blocks. Place the elbow on the ground, held in place by the 4 blocks. Set the tank over the hole in the middle of the blocks and place the tiger torch in the lower end of the elbow. Fill (or whatever) the pot with scrap, light the torch and away you go. Be prepared to dip the melted metal out of the tank—you for sure will not lift it to pour! Have fun!

Goodsteel
      Keymaster
      • Gold
      • ★★★
      • Comments: 2452
      • Overall: 2660

Great advice all the way around. Aluminum is OUT. Do not even go there. Stay away from cast iron as well.

Any Stainless steel pot or cauldron will do the job no matter how thin it is. You can pick up a dandy SS stock pot from the cooking store, or do a flea market crawl. If you’re married to a woman who likes garage sales, incentivise her to help you look (cell phone cameras are a must in this case. Ask me how I know).

Any propane burner will melt things at this temperature, and that’s the problem. many are strong enough to hold lead when it’s only cooking at 800 degrees. Some are NOT strong enough to hold up a 100lb pot of molten metal when the liquid inside is 1200 degrees, and the metal holding it up is glowing red hot. Be smart about this, and spend a few bucks on a heavily-built turkey fryer or some such.
      These may work for you:
      http://www.bismar.com/en/24_rechauds…Exterieur2.htm

http://www.bismar.com/en/24_rechauds…Exterieur2.htm

And these may work for you, or they may collapse and pour molten lead all over your driveway or make you do a startlingly accurate impression of a chicken on a hot plate.
      http://www.homebrewing.org/18-Propan…U-_p_3214.html

http://www.coppermoonshinestills.com/id15.html

(actually, the second option in the middle of the page in the last link looks like a pretty good bet. The first one is a Darwin award waiting to happen)

Bisley
      Participant
      • Bronze
      • Comments: 3
      • Overall: 5

Thanks for all the replies. I just now found the replies after having been away from the site for awhile. I am out of the country until August (Missions relief service from my local church) but should have opportunity to look at some stuff when I get home. Thanks again.

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2017 Goodsteel Forum. Designed by Covalent Designs, LLC.