Viewing 13 reply threads
  • Author
      redriverhunter
      Participant
      • Bronze
      • Comments: 22
      • Overall: 47

Another member of this board has been generous to cast me some 360-228-FN XCB. The bullets are Lyman #2, air cooled (should i harden them up some). I would like to ask the those who have worked with this bullet in the 358 Win what has worked for them. Powders on hand varget, imr 4062, win 748 and h 4895. The rifle has a 1 in 12 twist. The goal is to use this load will be for hunting deer and hogs. Thanks you
      RRH

Milkman
      Participant
      • Bronze
      • Comments: 24
      • Overall: 28

Not using that bullet, but with the 200g RCBS my 12 twist 358 really likes IMR 3031, and likes 4895 almost as well.

Larry Gibson
      Participant
      • Gold
      • ★★★
      • Comments: 507
      • Overall: 562
      • Gold

Might check out my 35 Rem thread with that 35 XCB bullet. Your start load would be close to what I was using.

Larry Gibson

Harter
      Participant
      • Gold
      • ★★★
      • Comments: 807
      • Overall: 883

No need to harden that alloy any . I haven’t tried that bullet yet but I have a bunch waiting in both checked and PB . I had good results with 4350 under a 250 so I will start back there .

Balkandom
      Participant
      • Bronze
      • Comments: 3
      • Overall: 4

Hey folks, my first post here! Goodsteel loaded some for me that are amazing and flawless in the M1a he converted to 358 for me, you might want to pick his brain.

Goodsteel
      Keymaster
      • Gold
      • ★★★
      • Comments: 2452
      • Overall: 2660

Balkandom;n15451 wrote: Hey folks, my first post here! Goodsteel loaded some for me that are amazing and flawless in the M1a he converted to 358 for me, you might want to pick his brain.

Welcome Mike. You’ll know a bunch of people here. The bullets you shoot in your M1A were cast from a mold borrowed from Milkman. I also tested it with bullets sent by Waksupi.

kens
      Participant
      • Gold
      • ★★★
      • Comments: 531
      • Overall: 587

I have the 35XCB mold, both flat base & gas check.

I dont have the .35 gas checks on hand.

How fast could I expect to drive the plain base?

Fast enough to dispatch a whitetail??

Goodsteel
      Keymaster
      • Gold
      • ★★★

Kens, I would HP that bullet if you’re going low velocity plain based. You’re going to run into problems at about 1500 FPS if not sooner. I wanted the PB version available for paper patching and for powder coating. Never intended to shoot it as is. The GC version will make money up through 2600 FPS, although, you may find best precision with water dropped bullets, and if you do, a small hollow point would not be a bad thing.

Rattlesnake Charlie
      Participant
      • Gold
      • ★★★
      • Comments: 679
      • Overall: 831

Just for a little comparison to a couple of well known deer slayers — the .32-40 / .32 Win Spl —  the 35 Rem / 35 XCB should be equally, if not more, effective. BTW, I don’t think I ever heard of a .32-40 with a gas check. I’m looking forward to hear how this .35 cal rig works out. OMG, I really don’t need ANOTHER caliber to reload for! Ain’t stopped me yet. LOL.

Another proven point:
      For several years I helped out on the sight in days at a range in SE Michigan. There were numerous newbies showing up with super mags and such. Most you had to coach to actually get them to try to get on target at 25 yards even after proclaiming the gun store had bore sighted in the rifle. Then there were the “others”, who showed up with such things as those old Remington pumps with the spiral magazine and a box of ammo that was way out of print. Those ole guys would shoot a three shot group into the black, and go home with the reminder of that box of collector ammo. Not much wonder who was eating venison that season.

kens
      Participant
      • Gold
      • ★★★

Well, gosh, both you guys posted and now I am some confused.

Let me ask another way,

How fast can you drive a plain based bullet?

If the XCB has too much of a ogive on it for a ‘hunting’ bullet, then you could’nt you soften the alloy for expansion ??

As of right now, I dont want to get into hollow pointing or gas checks, just plain and simple, be the first guy to bag a deer with XCB.

I aint got any gas checks tho.

How could I assume the performance of this rig as a ‘shouldered fired .357mag’  ; and do it with plain based 35XCB.??

what alloy & what speed??

Goodsteel
      Keymaster
      • Gold
      • ★★★

I think your best bet would be COWW cut 50/50 with pure, air cooled. Try running it with 10 grains of unique, and back off till you get to 1400ish.

GhostHawk
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★
      • Comments: 258
      • Overall: 260

I would say Goodsteel is right on the Money except I would do it with Red Dot.

Very possibly 50/50 of wheel weight and range scrap. Add a percentage of tin if you need to for shiny bullets and good fill out. No need for expensive alloys, whatever you can find cheap will do. Softer is better than too hard at this speed IMO.

35 cal slug leaving muzzle around 1400 fps,  I would say still well over 1k fps at the 100 yard mark. I predict unless you hit a heavy bone you will never find a bullet. Through and through’s every time. Small hole, big hole.

Big bore, big bullet, slower speed = great penetration.  The softer it is the more it will expand limiting penetration but increasing damage.  Its a balancing act.

kens
      Participant
      • Gold
      • ★★★

I got a lot of clean range scrap already in clean ingots. Could I use that straight up?

I got unique, green dot, blue dot 2400, 4227, 4198

what about blue dot??

Harter
      Participant
      • Gold
      • ★★★
      • Comments: 807
      • Overall: 883

I’ve had good success with slow for cartridge powders and plain base .

Did you sort the range metal ? The jackets with tinned alloys will give up some copper . Free bonus for PB . It makes a more durable bullet for the trip out the barrel but soft enough to expand .

Light loads and fast powders will do the job . I ran some numbers in a calculator for mine . I have to have 1600fps to meet the 1000ft at 100 yd . 1200 will get you maxed out 357 rifle ME at 75 yd .

In 30 cal I’ve run plain base up to 1800 fps and 2100 in 32/8mm with slow rifle powders and the “accidental” copper enhanced alloy . The secret is in the 1-20 from tamper seals on copper wire . The tin leachs the copper and off the wire . A 50/50 with WW will expand with a 1200 fps MV Colts at 50yd . 75/25 WW – seals is tough enough to punch 1/4″ steel and go to unusually high speeds .

Viewing 13 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2017 Goodsteel Forum. Designed by Covalent Designs, LLC.