This topic contains 25 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Larry Gibson 2 years, 4 months ago.

• Author
     NavyVet1959 
    Participant
    • Bronze
    • Comments: 26
    • Overall: 28

Using light gray text and lines on a white background is a painful to read. 🙁

Goodsteel 
    Keymaster
    • Gold
    • ★★★
    • Comments: 2452
    • Overall: 2660

I agree. I’ve already spoken to the design team about this and we are going to meet up on Thursday and talk about solutions to the drab look and feel of the place.

I’m willing to listen to suggestions on what would be easy to read and work with, so please post them below.

I think we can all agree that text needs to be jet black?

NavyVet1959 
      Participant
      • Bronze

Yes, text should be black (#000000).  Our old eyes will appreciate it. 🙂

One of the things that I used to do when I developed a web app was to define certain areas / objects and let the users set the colors, fonts, and font sizes in their profiles that they wanted to use.  I did this because the users that I had at that company would complain about my choices and each of them had what they considered to be the “best” choice of colors / fonts and they could not agree on single look.  So, I just got tired of dealing with them and let them configure it as obnoxiously as they wanted.  I would get some people who had serious vision problems and needed a high contrast look along with large fonts and then I would have other users with young eyes who wanted to be able to put a lot of information on a single page, so they wanted a small font.  I figured that no one solution would please everyone, so I just shifted the responsibility to them to fiddle with it until they were satisfied. 🙂

GhostHawk 
    Participant
    • Silver
    • ★★
    • Comments: 258
    • Overall: 260

Remember to use the Control key + mouse wheel to adjust size. Makes a big difference.

I am not a big fan of the orange headers but they are visible.

NavyVet1959 
    Participant
    • Bronze

Also, there appears to be a limit on the amount of time that a post can be around and is still editable.  Personally, I prefer there not to be a limit since if I notice a typo in a previous post that I’ve made (like I did in the original post to this thread), I’ll go back and change it.  I also use this when I need to go back to old posts to change links to images or URLs that have changed since the post was originally made.  I’ve actually had to do this on posts that were over a year old.  Most people don’t care if their old posts still have valid links, but I like to be accurate if at all possible.

Goodsteel 
    Keymaster
    • Gold
    • ★★★

There should be no limit Navyvet. I’ll look into it.

I did attempt to get a modifiable look that could be set by each member, but you have to remember that some of those things are EXPENSIVE, and the design team has moved heaven and earth with the money I was able to give them. But….as funds are generated, we will be upgrading!!! This is just a foundation. Even so, I think its a giant step forward from what we had (of course, I’ve been using it since before the move and its starting to feel like home to me already).

Keep the suggestions coming gents. I will be archiving them and considering how to implement them in the future. Thanks for all the tips from you fellers with web design background.

NavyVet1959 
    Participant
    • Bronze

The edit link is showing up now and the orange horizontal bars have disappeared.

You hired someone to write forum software?  There’s plenty of free ones out there, there’s no reason to reinvent the wheel on something like this.

Depending upon who is your hosting provider, they often have a few different free forums that you can install.

For some reason, it would not allow me to log in earlier today.  I ended up having to change my password even though I know I was using the same password that I last changed it to.    It’s possible that I didn’t in fact change my password yesterday when I thought that I did since I could not see the boxes for where to put the old and new passwords in.  If there is a border around those textboxes, I can’t see them on my monitor.

Also, the original email that said to go to “Settings” and request a new password probably should be changed to say to go to “Profile” and then click on the three circles and then click on “Settings”.  It took me *forever* to find that yesterday. 🙂

Just checked and it seem that there are light gray lines around the textboxes, but I need to view my monitor at an extreme angle in order to be able to see them.  If I’m viewing it straight on, they are invisible, but if I tilt the monitor so that I’m looking at a 60 or so degree angle vertically, I can see the borders.

Goodsteel 
    Keymaster
    • Gold
    • ★★★

I hear ya NavyVet. I’m confident it will get easier as you use it, and paths become established.

As to the look of the forum, there will be changes happening from time to time as we stroke the template. I told the design team to keep the borders light and the text dark so that we can focus on the text and not lose it in the background.

Concerning my choice of hiring the design team, no, I did not hire them to write forum software. I hired them to build us a forum on WordPress with a more versatile template of my choice. This is the only way to get control of the forum to the point that I can implement the goodies I want to provide you in the future.

I want a lead alloy calculator app that can be used in the shop on your phone, or at your desktop.

Same goes for ballistic software.

Same goes for twist rate calculator.

These things will not happen overnight, but my vision for GSF pretty much stump-whoops every “free forum software” out there. If its not one thing its another, and this is the only way to get the freedom I need to make it more useful than what is commonly available.

I know it’s a pain at the moment while we are getting started up, but please bear with me and remember that the forum is not about the pretty pictures or the text. It’s about the people that come together on it, and we have the very best people anyone could ask to hang out with. Not just in personality, but in deep and broad experience. I think if we all hang in there, this will end up being a REALLY interesting and USEFUL site. Yeah, I might be off the mark with my intentions, but I don’t think so. I’ve talked extensively with the best forum leadership the web has ever seen, rubbed shoulders with them, broke bread with them, and even attended and spoke at a funeral. I’m doing what I was charged to do. So please bear with me while I do it. If we fail, it wont be for lack of trying. I’m not the smartest, nor the richest, nor the prettiest, but I don’t give up on folks. I hang on like a pitbull. I’ll get this lined out for you, and I’ll bet you’ll love it.

NavyVet1959 
      Participant
      • Bronze

I want a lead alloy calculator app that can be used in the shop on your phone, or at your desktop.

Don’t see a button for the BBCode “quote” tag, so I’m going to try the “blockquote” button above to see if that works…

Kind of hokey way of quoting something… Check to see if there is a “quote”…

<quote>
      </quote>

Nope… Doesn’t exist…

I understand how you would like to have a single app that could work on multiple devices, but because of the screen real estate differences, finding a single generic solution to it will probably be difficult. You would probably need to develop a separate app for each platform.

For example, I wrote up an RPN calculator awhile back as a proof of concept (that kind of kept growing and growing) and while it OK on a PC where you have a mouse for a pointing device, it does not work well on a phone. Even if the phone has a high resolution screen, it doesn’t work well since everything is so small that it’s difficult to press a single button or type in the textboxes.

http://images.spambob.net/navy-vet-1959/rpn-calc.htm

All in all, I’m not a fan of touch screen devices anyway.

NavyVet1959 
    Participant
    • Bronze

On my monitor, I can’t even see the borders for where the text box is to reply to a message.  I could probably change that by adjusting the contrast on my monitor, but then the colors of on videos and such would be off.  I haven’t tried it on any of my other machines to see if it looks the same on them.

Goodsteel 
    Keymaster
    • Gold
    • ★★★

If you could, that would be great. Let me know what you see. I can darken up the borders if that helps you, but I’m not quite grasping why its necessary? The borders seem like external stuff that could be there or not, and I figured it’s easier to see what we’re reading if we don’t have to look through a picture frame.

Goodsteel 
    Keymaster
    • Gold
    • ★★★

I’m going to go ahead and try to darken up the borders a shade or two NavyVet. Should be able to strike a nice balance.

NavyVet1959 
    Participant
    • Bronze

What is happening on my monitor is that it looks like a solid white page and I can’t see where to position my cursor for a reply.  Now, after using it for awhile, I now know that I look for the “B” and “I” formatting controls and if I click my mouse about 3/4″ below and to the right, then I’ll be in the text box.

This is using FireFox (52.2.0) for a browser.

If I try it with Chrome (Version 49.0.2623.112 m) on this machine, I can’t even get to the site.  I get the following error:

“This site can’t provide a secure connection
    goodsteelforum.com uses an unsupported protocol.

ERR_SSL_VERSION_OR_CIPHER_MISMATCH

The client and server don’t support a common SSL protocol version or cipher suite. This is likely to be caused when the server needs RC4, which is no longer considered secure.”

NavyVet1959 
    Participant
    • Bronze

The monitor on this machine is an AOC.

Went to another machine that has a Samsung monitor on it and a Memorex 42″ TV/monitor.  On the Samsung monitor, it was difficult to see the lines around the textboxes, but on the Memorex, it was possible to see them.

I can adjust the AOC monitor so that the lines are visible, but then photos and videos loose a lot of detail because they are too dark.

Old eyes and uncooperative monitors and obnoxious “international” monitor adjustment icons with too short of timeout that leave you guessing on what the icon does before it completely disappears and you have to start over.  Kind of makes you yearn for the days when there were simple brightness and contrast rotary adjustment knobs on displays. 🙂

NavyVet1959 
    Participant
    • Bronze

Is there a way you can temporarily set the gray borders to a bit thicker (but the same color) so that I can see if that is the issue with those monitors?

The reason the border are necessary is that without them, it’s just a white page and you can’t readily see where to put your cursor to type the reply.  Also, the borders help you differentiate between the posts of one person and the next.  The same could probably also be accomplished by having a slightly different background color to the main page than is used in the textboxes.

I just realized that there is a small triangular section on the outline of the reply pointing to the poster (making it look like a cartoon’s caption).  On the Memorex monitor, this is visible, but on the Samsung and AOC, it wasn’t.

NavyVet1959 
    Participant
    • Bronze

Using the desktop machine that has the Samsung and Memorex monitors on it, the version of Chrome is 58.0.3029.110 and I don’t have the SSL error.  The other machine with the AOC monitor was running XP.

Larry Gibson 
    Participant
    • Gold
    • ★★★
    • Comments: 506
    • Overall: 558
    • Gold

Almost impossible to see the border lines outlining/separating the different posts and the area for replys.

Larry Gibson

NavyVet1959 
      Participant
      • Bronze

Almost impossible to see the border lines outlining/separating the different posts and the area for replys.

Larry Gibson

Cool… It’s not just *my* monitor and old eyes… 🙂

Goodsteel 
    Keymaster
    • Gold
    • ★★★

I see what you mean. If I defocus my eyes just a tad, its like a white cow wearing a lace tutu in a snowstorm eating marshmallows off a paper plate.

NavyVet1959 
    Participant
    • Bronze

Probably need a way of flagging posts as spam / users as spammers… Like this user and a couple more of his ilk that I’ve seen…

https://goodsteelforum.com/forums/topic/%C3%B0%C2%A7n%E2%80%9A%C3%B0%C2%BE-%C3%B0%C2%B7%C3%B0%C2%BD%C3%B0%C2%B0n%E2%80%A1%C3%B0%C2%B8n%E2%80%9A-%C3%B0%C2%B7%C3%B0%C2%B2n%C6%92%C3%B0%C2%BA%C3%B0%C2%BE%C3%B0%C2%B2n%E2%80%B9%C3%B0%C2%B5-%C3%B0/

Interestingly, if you just cut-and-paste that URL into the post, you get something a bit strange…

GhostHawk 
    Participant
    • Silver
    • ★★
    • Comments: 258
    • Overall: 260

Hey, nice look, I like it!

Nice to see progress.

Goodsteel 
    Keymaster
    • Gold
    • ★★★

I told you I was going to hang drapes!!! LOL!

Goodsteel 
    Keymaster
    • Gold
    • ★★★

Hey NavyVet, how’s this working for ya?

NavyVet1959 
    Participant
    • Bronze

A lot better. I can see the boxes and don’t have to search for the textbox to type into now. Looks like you did a thicker line shadow on the boxes and a small double line shadow on the reply textbox.

My old eyes really appreciates the change. 🙂

The “reply was modified” text seems a little light on the Samsung and AOC monitors, but is readable on the Memorex monitor.

Goodsteel 
    Keymaster
    • Gold
    • ★★★

The design team met with me at the house, and we made a lot of changes on the fly Sunday night. It was much easier to get the place looking the way I wanted it to with them on sight.

Larry Gibson 
    Participant
    • Gold
    • ★★★
    • Comments: 506
    • Overall: 558
    • Gold

Lot better!!  Nicely done….

Larry Gibson

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2017 Goodsteel Forum. Designed by Covalent Designs, LLC.