This topic contains 20 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  Glenn 9 months, 3 weeks ago.

• Author
     Jr. 
    Participant
    • Bronze
    • Comments: 12
    • Overall: 14

Alright, so here’s what I was thinking. I like to look at pretty bullets and get information on the colors, technique, and loads. Maybe the PC guys here could put some pictures up with a synopsis of what powder, caliber, method how it performs etc. We could all get some enjoyment that is educational.

Ps I haven’t been able to cast anything for a while, life got in the way, but I spend a lot of time browsing and gathering information.

Goodsteel 
    Keymaster
    • Gold
    • ★★★
    • Comments: 2449
    • Overall: 2656

Great idea!

Grmps 
    Participant
    • Bronze
    • Comments: 20
    • Overall: 22

Sized to .459 – 500 grn 45-70

1 part hammer grey, 1 part silver, 3 parts jet black

Glenn 
    Participant
    • Silver
    • ★★
    • Comments: 178
    • Overall: 207

Those look great. How do they shoot and how fast can you push them.

Jr. 
    Participant
    • Bronze

Man Grmps, I like the look of those purty bullets, what brands of powder did you mix to get that color? What are you feeding with them?

Grmps 
    Participant
    • Bronze

I cast and coated these for a member of another forum out of hardball 15 bhn alloy, I don’t own a 45-70 I would assume you could go close to 1800 fps w/o a gas check

1 part hammer grey, cardinal paint (picture is labeled wrong)

1 part silver, cardinal paint

3 parts jet black- smoke 4320 CB

Grmps 
    Participant
    • Bronze

These you can push harder (I don’t remember the blends for the colors)

Jr. 
    Participant
    • Bronze

Man those checked bullets look pretty sweet! I like the contrast between the color and the gas check. Do you size before or after you coat? Or both?

Grmps 
    Participant
    • Bronze

before

after baking

Grmps 
    Participant
    • Bronze

New Batch with labels

slim1836 
    Participant
    • Bronze
    • Comments: 54
    • Overall: 57

My 45 ACP patriotic bullets

Slim

Glenn 
    Participant
    • Silver
    • ★★

My first try at powder coating with HF red, yellow and black wasn’t very successful.  After sharing my failure, Daniel Dempsey sent me 3 different powders to try and they all worked great when I followed the directions.

Now I just need to stuff these in a 45acp case and see how they perform.

Thanks again Mr. Dempsey.

Rattlesnake Charlie 
    Participant
    • Gold
    • ★★★
    • Comments: 666
    • Overall: 806

How does the powder do with hollow point bullets. Does it plug them up?

Glenn 
    Participant
    • Silver
    • ★★

I went and cast up a few of the NOE 480-375RF RG2 to powder coat.
    Everything was going fine until I picked up the wrong coolwhip tub and poured some green PC into the Bronze tub. The bullets turned out looking kind of Camo-ish. The airsoft bebes tried to get stuck in some of the hollow points, but the powder just left a mostly smooth even coat.

Grmps 
    Participant
    • Bronze

Glenn, Look’s like you did a good job PCing. The way I test my PC’d bullets to see if they came out right is to take 1 or 2 from each batch, get an anvil and a big hammer and flatten them. the powder coat (if done right) should not chip for flake.

Look’s like avocado green

Rattlesnake Charlie 
    Participant
    • Gold
    • ★★★
    • Comments: 666
    • Overall: 806

Glen, you might get me to try powder coating. I am tired of having lube all over the place, and having to wipe it off the exposed bullet portion to keep them from attracting dirt. Seems like I’m always in someplace dusty.

Glenn 
    Participant
    • Silver
    • ★★

I loaded some 45 235 RF coated bullets with HP38 in 45acp brass and shot about 35 rounds through my little Star PD.  It left some fouling behind.  Not sure if it’s lead or powder coat yet.  The same bullets lubed with Carnauba Blue with the same powder charge don’t lead at all.  I’ll have to try a couple more bullet designs and see if I get better results.

Grmps 
    Participant
    • Bronze

Glenn, It may be the oven temperature is way off (almost all countertop ovens temperature settings are off due to the design, some up to 100° off.

Place a couple (cheap) oven thermometers in the middle of the shelf you bake on they cost <$5 (buy 1 and borrow 1 to make sure the first one is accurate) turn on the oven and adjust the temperature until the thermometers read 400°. Mark the oven and note what the temperature setting is. every time there is a major change in the temperature of the area where the oven is you need to re-check the setting.

Most companies recommend baking for 10-15 min in a preheated oven @ 400 degrees. I’d go 15 min to be safe.

the substrate (bullet) needs to reach and maintain a certain temperature for a certain amount of time for the coating to completely cure. Many guys go 20 min but I feel that is over-kill. A bullet can look good but not be completely cured.

A convection oven is preferable, the fan circulates hot air maintaining an even temperature throughout the oven.

I got a nice Oster convection oven for $20 @ a thrift store, decent ones can be had locally/online for around $50

One thing you can do to help your oven is cover the floor of the oven with a heat retaining material, I use ceramic BBQ briquettes others use firebrick, metal pieces or? Just something to help the oven get back to temperature faster after it has been opened

After baking a batch of bullets, wait until they are completely cool then place one on an anvil/hard metal surface and smash it to 1/8 in thick. you should get no flaking/chipping if baked long enough @400°

Grmps 
    Participant
    • Bronze

Glenn 
    Participant
    • Silver
    • ★★

You were absolutely right.  The Temp dial was way off.  I used my casting thermometer and the heat probe from the PID, both of which showed the same temp, and used a sharpie to mark 350F and 400F on the toaster oven.

I PC’d some 45 230TC with HF Red and with the old setting, the bullet would flake off just a tiny big when smashed flat.  With the new setting, then the PC just stretches with the bullet.

I cleaned the barrel on my Star PD and it was PC fouling, no lead came out.  Now to load some more and shoot them to see if it made a difference.

Glenn 
    Participant
    • Silver
    • ★★

I coated some more bullets at the correct temp this time, sized, loaded and shot them today inbetween thunderstorms…

It still left some Powder residue behind, but it was much less than the first time.  It cleaned up pretty quick with some Ed’s Red.

I think I’ll try the Tyger Green next.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2017 Goodsteel Forum. Designed by Covalent Designs, LLC.

or    

Forgot your details?

Create Account

If you have any questions or comments, please contact us by clicking the button below.

Contact Us