Viewing 12 reply threads
  • Author
      Harter
      Participant
      • Gold
      • ★★★
      • Comments: 807
      • Overall: 883

I bought a new Lee 6C . With these I’ve adopted the NOE wash and heat cycle before I even take it to the lead pots . It doesn’t hurt anything so why not.
      Well the weekend started about 130 Thursday Ms had a 430 Dr appointment in Reno I had new glasses to pick up and I needed 1 more cycle for the mould . So I dropped on the stove plate just like so many times before and went to herd the cats ……um Ms and 2 little girls towards the car and get out of my work clothes. ……… sometime in between buttoning my pants and the door the mould was forgotten.

There it sat on the electric burner for 19 hr . If the sprue plate is toast that’s not a total loss, I have a steel replacement I won at last year’s NCBS . I certain that the blocks and plate are fully annealed having no doubt hovered around 600* for way over 12 hr .
      I’m only out $37.50 if the mould is totaled. It does look cool with the bright anodized blue faded to bare aluminum in the cavities.
      Back to the question can this be retempered maybe hard coat/anodize the mould maybe save the sprue plate ? Or is the damage negated by the moulds normal heat and cool anyway?

DeadWoodDan
      Participant
      • Bronze
      • Comments: 80
      • Overall: 91

I’m not an expert, but say cast with it and see what it does?

I am an expert at these mistakes though, if that helps! Haven’t done this one, but did leave the pot on accidentally. Learned my lesson quickly

bjornb
      • Silver
      • ★★
      • Comments: 163
      • Overall: 176

I’d definitely cast with it. I would be surprised if it’s ruined. Unless there’s visible warpage you should be good to go.

doc1876
      Participant
      • Bronze
      • Comments: 51
      • Overall: 61

ok, I am having a hard time following this, but here goes. If the blocks were steel, then no, there should be no damage, as they have to get to 1200-1600 deg. Just use them, and make sure next time you pin a note to your forehead.
      if they are brass or aluminum, then no, you have an issue. To properly heat treat aluminum and copper alloys takes around 100 hours of diligence.

badbob454
      Participant
      • Bronze
      • Comments: 46
      • Overall: 59

sooooo did it cast ok?

Harter
      Participant
      • Gold
      • ★★★

Shot all last weekend getting the proof loads loaded for the hog hunt road trip this weekend and getting a load together for AR no time to check it out.

Goodsteel
      Keymaster
      • Gold
      • ★★★
      • Comments: 2452
      • Overall: 2660

Hey, you planning on swinging by and saying hello while you’re here?

Harter
      Participant
      • Gold
      • ★★★

I sure want to . Ammo head would like to meet you. I don’t think the time is going to let it happen. F I get an extra half a day I will make a hot foot up your way I have a can we should we proposal or 2. Besides 8 think I owe you you a good cigar .

Goodsteel
      Keymaster
      • Gold
      • ★★★

If you can’t make it, no big deal. I’ll catch you on the flip side.
      However, if there were time, I think I could get Glenn Larson and Doc44 in on it, and we could have a pretty good GSF pow-wow. Something to think about……..

Larry Gibson
      Participant
      • Gold
      • ★★★
      • Comments: 507
      • Overall: 562
      • Gold

Sometimes we get lucky (not that I’ve ever done anything like that….:rolleyes:) and it all works out in the end. Those are pretty good looking bullets.

Larry Gibson

Harter
      Participant
      • Gold
      • ★★★

Well , I’ll take that as a compliment.

Frank the Freightman
      Participant
      • Bronze
      • Comments: 1
      • Overall: 1

Never made a mistake! looking for the lightning, I left my 20# lee pot on for a week no leaks or damage but sure was a layer of slush at the top.

Goodsteel
      Keymaster
      • Gold
      • ★★★

Frank! Good to see you sir.

Viewing 12 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2017 Goodsteel Forum. Designed by Covalent Designs, LLC.