Viewing 10 reply threads
  • Author
      Butch Wax
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★
      • Comments: 158
      • Overall: 180

Ok. Old school caster here. Been happy with conventional bullets for decades. Seen the multiple little lube groove Lee TL stuff for a long time. Never tried em. Thought they looked goofy. Learned to like LLA recently and use it on unsized .38Spl that drop at .358″. Wanna try the funny looking Lee TL design now. So tell me about those wiggly sided bullets.

seaboltm
      Participant
      • Bronze
      • Comments: 64
      • Overall: 72

Work fine for me. I probably use too much lla as i coat tbem twice. Noe leading, plenty of smoke.

Butch Wax
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★

Do they cast to advertised size? Such as .358″ for .38 and .430″ for .44? That’s what I’m wondering about. And do they have seating issues such as shaving of lead etc.

Guess I wasn’t specific in my post. My bad..
      Just don’t know diddly about them.

seaboltm
      Participant
      • Bronze
      • Comments: 64
      • Overall: 72

My lee 158 grain drops .358. Lee 240 grain measures .430. I have not had a problem with fill out with either mold. With adequate belling of the case mouth shaving is not an iasue i have noticed. Driven to modest velocoties i have no leading what so ever. 357 mold is 161 grains with heavy lube, mostly coww dropped in water. 44 mold weighs in at 243 grains.

Butch Wax
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★

Sounds good. Think I’ll be going to get a couple TL moulds and get busy. 😎

GhostHawk
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★
      • Comments: 258
      • Overall: 260

I have some that work great, like the .358 158 gr round nose. I have some that are iffy, like the .356 124 gr. But what I don’t know is if it is the mold or the gun causing the problem. I suspect in some cases the 9mm barrels simply need a larger bullet.

The small grooves don’t bother me at all. In fact if I am going to size them I prefer them to standard lube grooves. Being smaller, finer grooves it takes less pressure.

I use mostly Bens Liquid Lube, or the basic BLL recipe with the Johnson’s one step. But I like to add 2% Carnuba wax to mine. Harder shell, less sticky and love the way it leaves the bores bright and shiny.

I am currently playing with a batch of BLL that has a chunk of JPL melted and mixed in. It all seems to work.

One of my real favorites is the little Lee 90 grain .314. Man I have shot that bullet in a lot of calibers. From 7.62×39, 7.62x54r, .300BO, .30-30 it is a TC tumble lube design and it just plain works.

In the .30-30 with a light load of Red Dot behind it, it makes an awesome little 25 yard plinking, small game round. With that distinctive cone shape it is easy to tell from the full power rounds. And on my Win 94AE where the full house rounds are dead on with the sights at 100. The little 90 grain is dead on at 25.

Just makes life easy.

Butch Wax
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★

Yeah, my concern was how they dropped from the mould. If they were an acceptable size as is or required sizing. If the latter is the case then I’d just stick with my old Ideal and Lyman moulds and conventional bullets. But if they drop at a size that lends itself to tumble lube then its a go.

I’ve got a RCBS 140gr RNFP “Cowboy bullet, that’s .358″ right from the mould. A perfect example for the tumble lube business. I’d run em through the.358″ sizing/lube die of the 450 with normal results. But a loading buddy said try TL with LLA. I did and the results were positive. Tried LLA long ago and didn’t care for it. But I am not unhappy with it today. Little less closed minded today I suppose. So I am going to get a couple of the TL moulds. A .430″ SWC and a .452” RN. There’s 7 different 38Spl type moulds here now with 2 that are good for TL. I’m looking at TL moulds for the .44 and the.45.

I’ve gotten better with Lee moulds lately. There is a “graveyard” of Lee moulds in the woods behind my house where several have been thrown at max velocity that my arm could provide when they failed. Grown a might short tempered in my old age. Oh well…. But the last two I got are ok. So I’m going with the TL moulds and see what I can do.

chutesnreloads
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★
      • Comments: 161
      • Overall: 165

I’ve had less than desirable results with the TL and LLA.Got the .40 and .44 both and get too many hit the target sideways not to mention poor accuracy.Best cure I’ve found is a powder coat and the tumbling has gone but still get the odd flyers.Would suggest just using the LLA on a bullet you know works as it works fine on the nonTL bullets too.

airmanbasic
      Participant
      • Bronze
      • Comments: 5
      • Overall: 5

Have a few moulds that are on the ragged edge of needing sizing, if that makes sense. Several out of a batch need sizing, to the point of not chambering in tight chambered guns, mostly revolvers. Frustrating. I’ve settled on running all through Lee sizing dies, then coating in 45-45-10. More consistent, and cuts down on fliers. works for me.

Goodsteel
      Keymaster
      • Gold
      • ★★★
      • Comments: 2452
      • Overall: 2660

There’s nothing wrong with that airmanbasic. That’s the way it’s been for a hundred years. Change alloy, and your bullets will change size. The sizing dies are the great equalizer that makes things consistent. Sure it’s nice when you can cast and go, but sometimes that’s a mixed blessing.

For instance, one of these days you may find that grease groove bullets, while messy, are absolutely the best way to launch a cast bullet perfectly every time. If that happens, you might decide to get into a lube sizer. When lube sizing, you pretty much depend on the bullet to make a perfect seal with the die. Otherwise, you squirt lube ribbons all over your press and that sucks.

Butch Wax
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★

Update on the TL bullet quest.

With the overwhelming success with the Lyman 358665 and RCBS 140gr RNFP in all my 38’s going unsized and simply TL with LLA, I believe that if it’s not broke don’t change it. In the matter of the 44, well it didn’t pan out. Lots of leading. Returned to conventional sizing and lube with Ideal 429460 cast SWC and run through the old 450. And as to the 45? Same thing, cast and sized/lubed in the 450.

End results for larger stuff was a flop. Smaller 38’s are fine. But hey, ya never know until ya try huh?

Viewing 10 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2017 Goodsteel Forum. Designed by Covalent Designs, LLC.