This topic contains 4 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Harter 4 weeks, 1 day ago.

• Author
     Jniedbalski 
    Participant
    • Bronze
    • Comments: 59
    • Overall: 66

I have been using my lee scale for about  20 years. I noticed a few days ago that some times the pointer would be up or below the line sometimes by a very small amount . Not a big deal I thaught it’s just barely off and probably has to do with the way my lee perfect powder measure throws a charge. I usally fill my case that’s being loaded and put that in the pan every 5 th charge or so. At first it’s every load when I start. I noticed that when I dump my powder from the perfect powder measure into the scales pan some times it dumps it to the front or the middle or the back of the pan. It all has to do with the distance I have the pan away from the spout. If it is to far away some times it goes to the far right of the pan and weighs a little heavy. If it fills the pan to the left side closest to the scale it weighs a little light. I then put the light or heavy charge in my 38 case then put It back in the scales pan in the middle  and it weighs fine. Has any body ever noticed this? Now ism not talking a lot just a very slight amount. I usally fill my case up first and dump it in the pan very close to it and the middle. The lee perfect powder measure for me usally is  spot on with weight if I fill the case first and dump it close to the pan so it dosent splash out wide or to one side or another. I need another scale soon so I can weigh bullets over 100 grain lee scale stopes at 100 gr. But have any body ever noticed this with other scales? Just wondering

Goodsteel 
    Keymaster
    • Gold
    • ★★★
    • Comments: 2438
    • Overall: 2642

The Lee scales are notoriously inaccurate. They get the job done, but the best thing to do is give that particular piece of equipment the old “heave ho”.

I’m a sucker for electronic scales at this point.

Rattlesnake Charlie 
    Participant
    • Gold
    • ★★★
    • Comments: 658
    • Overall: 796

If you load with powders that have the same granulation as road gravel, such as IMR-800X, the RCBS Chargemaster will bring a smile to your face.

Jniedbalski 
    Participant
    • Bronze
    • Comments: 59
    • Overall: 66

I have good luck with the lee scale. But I have only used lee. That’s like me getting a Chevy Chevet and telling every body it’s the best car without trying any other. It has worked for me for 25 years. I would liket to try  a electronic scale but still thank in my mind the old fashaned scale is better. Kind of like me driving me chevy chevet a round haha. Funny story I have done body work since 5 grade during summers at my grandfathers body shop. After high school I moved to Houston tx working for a truck, suburban and van conversion company. One day a paint gun salesman came in showing his new Japanese iwia paint guns. We usally told them to leave we didint want to try them. One guy used a binks gun only . One guy used sharps and one used a divilbus gun. I used binks or divilbus I liked both guns . Well for some reason we let him show us the new Japanese paint guns. Well we where all set in are ways and didint want to change. We have been using the same brands for years. Well after that day we all had the iwia guns . They where that good

Harter 
    Participant
    • Gold
    • ★★★
    • Comments: 771
    • Overall: 840

I stand by Lee tools being a tool to do a job that do the job . Sometimes you just need a 2# 8″ Soligen carbon steel cleaver to do the job the easiest fastest way . I’m sure the old Guinsu will cut ribs and slice tomatoes but it doesn’t take the ribs 3-4 at a time then slice tomatoes and half a ham through the bone . I have M5s and I have used the Lee . It went to a new home .

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2017 Goodsteel Forum. Designed by Covalent Designs, LLC.

or    

Forgot your details?

Create Account

If you have any questions or comments, please contact us by clicking the button below.

Contact Us