Viewing 11 reply threads
  • Author
      jcameron996
      Participant
      • Bronze
      • Comments: 0
      • Overall: 1

I have narrowed down my problem to the Lee factory crimp die in 9mm. I am able to get away with using it for my STI but it is sizing my bullets down too small for the wife’s XD. What seating die is everyone using that is giving good reliability with out swaging down the bullet. I am considering retiring the Lee dies entirely and going to a Dillon three die set. I am loading on a Dillon 650.

uber7mm
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★
      • Comments: 288
      • Overall: 305

With 9mm parabellum one needs a taper crimp, not a rolled crimp, because the cartridge head spaces on the length of the case. From your description I believe this your problem. I had bought a roll crimp seating die set in the last millennium which I consider obsolete. A Lee taper crimp would solve that problem used as a last step and setting the seating roll die up where the roll crimp isn’t contacted.

For a revolver, especially a powerful one, a roll crimp is necessary.

I hope this helps,

Phil
      Participant
      • Bronze
      • Comments: 52
      • Overall: 54

My ancient Dillon 9mm seating die is so small it will size down my fat 9mm bullets, ditto for the Dillon taper crimp die. My Dillon dies are over 30 years old. Maybe the newer ones are not as tight — doubt it for the crimp die.

I ended up with an assortment of dies for 9mm cast. When I make it down to the shop later today I’ll check what I ended up with to avoid bullet swaging.

Harter
      Participant
      • Gold
      • ★★★
      • Comments: 807
      • Overall: 883

I’ve had no issues with the RCBS set , I have a Hugry HP9 that takes a 357 and no problems. It serves for the few loads every couple of years for the 38 S&W at .361 too.

Anonymous
      Inactive
      • Bronze
      • Comments: 71
      • Overall: 76

If you are referring to the Lee Carbide Factory Crimp Die, it has a carbide ring that sizes the cartridge, knock the carbide ring out and it will no longer size the cartridge. Over at the “other” site there have been several threads about it.

Lee 9mm Luger Carbide Factory Crimp Die

This die sizes the cartridge while being crimped so every round will positively chamber freely with factory like dependability.

http://www.titanreloading.com/pistol-reloading-dies/lee-pistol-factory-crimp-dies/-9mm-luger-lee-carbide-factory-crimp-die

dverna
      Participant
      • Bronze
      • Comments: 81
      • Overall: 86

I use a Dillon die set and have not had problems……..yet

Scharfschuetze
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★
      • Comments: 190
      • Overall: 193

I use the Dillon 550B press and dies for the 9mm. I too had issues with the expander plug for the 9mm as it is intended for use with jacketed bullets. I had a custom expanding plug made to a diameter of .355.” That works a treat for my .358″ sized bullets. A good taper crimp holds it all in place.

Anonymous
      Inactive
      • Silver
      • ★★
      • Comments: 109
      • Overall: 143

I assume when you say expander plug, you are referring to the powder funnel for expanding and flaring the case mouth. I machine my own for all my calibers of pistol and size them to accommodate my preferred cast boolit diameter. A few thousands under cast and sized diameter works for me.

chutesnreloads
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★
      • Comments: 161
      • Overall: 165

Can you not crimp with the seating die?Try that before buying new dies….unless you just want them

uber7mm
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★
      • Comments: 288
      • Overall: 305

The cheapest way out of this quagmire as I see it, is to set the seating high enough with the 7/8″ x14 lock ring so that the roll crimp doesn’t engage, set the seating plug to the desired depth to obtain the proper COAL. This will give you a cartridge without a crimp.

Then buy a Lee taper crimp for 9mm Parabellum (Luger, 9×19 or what ever you want to call it…) and use the taper crimp as an addition and last step in the reloading process. The Lee taper crimp dies are about $12 or so at Midway. In comparison, a new die set could easily be three to four times as expensive.

I hope this helps…..

Rattlesnake Charlie
      Participant
      • Gold
      • ★★★
      • Comments: 679
      • Overall: 831

I use the Lee 9mm taper crimp die. Just take the bell out of it. The pistol FCD was designed to size down cases that were bulged and such. It kills cast bullets, as you have found out.

lmcollins
      Participant
      • Bronze
      • Comments: 4
      • Overall: 5

I have been using the carbide factory crimp die in 9mm for various pistols. Has anyone taken the ring in their carbide factory crimp die and polished it out? Carbine is ground with a Green Wheel on the grinder. This is silicon carbide. Therefore: if one where to take one’s die and place ti in a lathe and run silicon carbide wet-or-dry paper on the ring with the paper wrapped around a dowel it should open up the carbide ring.

Someone with a “too tight” die should try this. The thing to do would be to disassemble your pistol, and plug gauge your chamber, and match your die to the chamber. If someone were close, and had a die and a barrel I’d be glad to try the fix.

Viewing 11 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2017 Goodsteel Forum. Designed by Covalent Designs, LLC.