Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
      kungfustyle
      Participant
      • Bronze
      • Comments: 22
      • Overall: 27

IF you are thinking about getting one and use extruded or fine powder look elsewhere. First the auto drum is a starter kit. You also need to pick up the Charging die kit ($20) and the riser ($8) and the powder measure ($35) plus shipping and that is if you can find all three at the same company. Setting it up isn’t hard but the instructions aren’t very accurate. I will say the powder measure was a joy to use Universal powder (flake) in. It was right on throw after throw. I loaded up some rounds with a fine ball powder and the thing leaked just like my perfect powder measure, but this one is on top of my turret press. When I was finished the powder had gotten inside all the inner workings and took a bit to clean out. With extruded powders it binds up and will crush your cases. No rime or reason to when it happens it just wont cut the powder and instead crushes your brass. You can tell its binding up and you have to unscrew the thing clean it out and start again. I returned mine. for $60 or so get the RCBS or Hornady set up. Just my $.02

Goodsteel
      Keymaster
      • Gold
      • ★★★
      • Comments: 2452
      • Overall: 2660

God bless Lee. No bad thought towards them at all, but their powder measures are CRAP. That’s not stated with malice. Just being honest. There’s not a single powder measure that came close to disappointing me as badly as the lee did and I’ve used a passel of them I assure you, and the Lee powder measure I had the displeasure of using was working perfectly. It was just a total POS even though it kinda sorta got the job done.
      I wish they would come out with the deluxe model made of cast aluminum or something for just a little less than the RCBS. Folks would buy it, and it would undoubtedly carry some of the brilliant design features that we all know and love. .

Gunslinger1911
      Participant
      • Bronze
      • Comments: 24
      • Overall: 26

I have been using the auto disk for decades (well, a couple of them, they do wear out). Yup, leaks with fine powder, not the greatest, but throws consistently for me. I got one of the auto drum measures recently, not a grain of leaked powder ! I have read of many others who have leakage with them – a few like me with no issues, I’m guessing Lee hasn’t gotten all the bugs out of the manufacturing process. That’s’ the thing about Lee – I see their stuff as about 80-90 % engineered. You have to want to fiddle and “hack” the other 10-20 % yourself. For my budget, I can live with that. lol

dverna
      Participant
      • Bronze
      • Comments: 81
      • Overall: 86

I learned a long time ago to buy good tools. I want tools that work well and reliably. The best customer service is not having to call for help in the first place and free parts do not mean much when you are dead in the water.

For people who have limited funds, it is better to find used quality equipment than to invest in a POS. I have never regretted buying any of the high end reloading tools I have acquired.

farmerjim
      Participant
      • Bronze
      • Comments: 25
      • Overall: 25

I have been using the Lee auto disk on a loadmaster and classic turret for pistol for several years and found it to work well with the powders that I used. I finally broke down and got a 223 AR and started loading that on the turret. I was not happy with the consistency of the charges with Varget and the double stacked discs. The auto drum came out to good reviews and I decided to try it. With Varget I never got a load that was more than .2 grains low or .1 grains high, most were dead on. I tried it with Herco ( which did work well in the auto disk ) and found that it worked better in the drum than the disk. As Gunslinger1911 stated above, there is almost always something you have to do to make Lee equipment work for you. I did have trouble with it over flaring 9mm cases, but solved this by turning down the flare portion of the die and using a lyman M die. The lee die for 38 and 357 worked fine.
      All in all, I am well satisfied with the Lee auto Drum, and highly recommend it .

JPHolla
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★
      • Comments: 120
      • Overall: 121

One thing I’ve noticed with the Lee Precision drum measures is that they can be sensitive to the screw tension on the drum from one powder to the other. Also, a dry lube spray can help. I have an auto drum measure that came with a loadmaster (I bought it in a rifle caliber just to get the bigger measure) but it normally uses 2400, so haven’t had problems. The bench-mounted measure I use anything from H110 to IMR 5010 and it works great. Surprisingly accurate, but it does leak a little with small spherical powder. Like most things Lee, you have to get a feel for it for it to work well. I believe it is well worth $20 for the manual, but I don’t know if I’d buy the auto drum separately from a press, especially if I planned on using course powders.

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2017 Goodsteel Forum. Designed by Covalent Designs, LLC.