Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      lead-1
      Participant
      • Bronze
      • Comments: 82
      • Overall: 90

I got a TL358-148WC mold from bjornb to cast some 38 spl bullets and have finally got to do so. Now a couple questions, I have zero experience with loading full wadcutters,
      Is there a certain brass I should be using, some say that regular 38 spl brass is tapered body and will swage the base of the bullet and cause leading.
      In your experience what seating depth works best for you, seated to the last groove or flush with the case mouth?
      Am I making this more work than it is, I was going to just do the same thing as my SWC bullets and go to the last lube groove. Somewhere is my misplaced Lyman cast load manual, lol.

Goodsteel
      Keymaster
      • Gold
      • ★★★
      • Comments: 2452
      • Overall: 2660

You can do either at your discretion. flush or proud, just make it fit, and do what the gun likes.
      Cast em soft and kick em with bullseye. That should take care of any little bit of base squeeze.
      There is brass that was specifically made for shooting wadcutters. It’s thinner in the case mouth than normal, it sizes easier, and makes stacking those gentlemanly target loads a very posh experience.

That said, I highly recommend Starline. Best brass on the market bar none.
      $76 bones gets you 500 gems:

https://www.starlinebrass.com/brass-cases/38-Special-Brass/index.cfm

lead-1
      Participant
      • Bronze

Thanks, I will give it a try at the last groove and see what it shows me. I will look in to some Starline brass if I don’t have any already, i have a couple hundred to sort thru.

gwpercle
      Participant
      • Bronze
      • Comments: 36
      • Overall: 38

With the Lee non tumble lube design , I have slightly better accuracy not loading the bullet flush , but crimping in the top crimp groove. I think (just a theory) having a bit of the bullet protruding helps alaign it in the cylinder.
      I would load some flush , some crimped in the top groove and some in the second groove and see how they perform….this is why we handload, so we can tailor our loads.
      Gary

lead-1
      Participant
      • Bronze

That’s useful info, I have brass that is marked as such. Both one and two rib brass.
      I always thought this brass was marked to keep from seating the bullet too far but as to bullet type also.

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2017 Goodsteel Forum. Designed by Covalent Designs, LLC.