Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
      Harter
      Participant
      • Gold
      • ★★★
      • Comments: 807
      • Overall: 883

Today I was offered 1/3 of a lease on 130 ac , butted up to USFS , 2 ponds , active population of deer , suspected hogs and drop in blow out fowl rest area .

It seems like a stupid question to ask about a lease but my lifetime hunting experience is all on public land . I’ve spent 60 days in the field hunting big water ducks and geese and had 3 trucks within 500 yd the whole season and hunted deer without seeing another person you didn’t bring 4/7 days . I’ve hunted whole weekends just me and the dog .

With that , I’m relocating next year ( OK 16 months outside) . I’ll be here for at least a couple hunts in the coming yr and have an inside track on habitat building . The lease is less than the cost of the spring hog hunts I’ve been going on ,so that’s like a bonus . It is in western Ar and just a little over an hour from my future living room .

What kind of strings should I look for ? How much is too much for the described lease ? Guest clause ? How hard can you hunt a lease like this ?

No wonder the 30-30 still reigns supreme ……….

timspawn
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★
      • Comments: 137
      • Overall: 166

I have hunted leases in FL and GA for 20 years. Some things to think about. How well do you know the other two guys? Is your 1/3 yours and not open to the other guys? Are there any other activities that may take place on the lease during hunting season that may ruin your hunt like gathering cows or timber harvest? Will they bring guests that won’t obey the rules? What are the rules? Ask about poachers and thefts in the area, are your stands going to be safe? Is it timbered or farm land? Your 1/3 may be plenty if it is wooded but not enough if is a farm field. What happens if there is a rule violation? Does it mean you get kicked out without refund? How much are you going to pay per acre? I pay $11.60 per acre for 328 acres. It is leased from a timber company.

Sgt. Mike
      Participant
      • Gold
      • ★★★
      • Comments: 789
      • Overall: 873

Harter I would love to kick in here with some nuggets of wisdom but Sorry I don’t have any. Maybe some that hunt on leases can kick in here I know Goodsteel hunts on a lease he can probably do better on the information side. Timspawn does bring up some good questions (pointers) though as one thinks about it

skeettx
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★
      • Comments: 197
      • Overall: 213

And will there be a stocking fee for feeders and other monthly items?
      Mike

Rattlesnake Charlie
      Participant
      • Gold
      • ★★★
      • Comments: 679
      • Overall: 831

The most recent contact I had with leased land is in western Kansas where a childhood friend of mine is now leasing his 800 acres of prime whitetail with some pheasants for $3K/yr. Fortunately, my brother and cousins don’t lease their land. They do not let outsiders in until all family get their deer. I am lucky. I am blessed.

Harter
      Participant
      • Gold
      • ★★★
      • Comments: 807
      • Overall: 883

I should have talked to Tim yesterday …….

The prime holder seems like a good guy , the other 1/3 holder I’ve known my whole life , most father’s/dad’s are like that .
      The land is exclusive leasee control within the guidelines of manage for game. The stands are up till now unmolested . The original leasee has a 30yr lease he’s only 2 yr into. I don’t expect to be here or in the field much at 79 with great grands but it could happen .

Out west we hunted water then feed as it was 5-10 miles between spring meadows always accompanied with quakey runs . There’s ponds and creeks at every turn and the cover takes over if you don’t keep it mowed . Deer hunting has a bout as much in common with my last 40 yr as a red Dodge 2500 V10 RAM and in common with a Ferrari 308 . Gas oil and red paint…..

My 1/3 is $750 and at this point it will probably be me ,dad ,my grands and maybe 5 friends for a spring hog hunt. My kids might make it occasionally for a spring or a fall hunt. Dad won’t hunt it much , I think it’s mostly just to get me here.
      ​​​​​

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2017 Goodsteel Forum. Designed by Covalent Designs, LLC.