Viewing 14 reply threads
  • Author
      Anonymous
      Inactive
      • Silver
      • ★★
      • Comments: 109
      • Overall: 143

A friend called tonight and said he had a chance to buy some lead sheathing off of some cable (electrical he thinks). It is already striped and relatively clean except for whatever oxidation has occurred. The fellow he is talking to wants $0.60 a pound. He believes it to is straight Pb. Any experience with cable sheathing? He’s going over to check it out tomorrow.

retread

Goodsteel
      Keymaster
      • Gold
      • ★★★
      • Comments: 2452
      • Overall: 2660

I’d do that in a second. Good price for clean lead! Ido believe cable sheathing is pure. Excellent stuff for round balls, or cutting with Linotype to make hardball.
      Also, he can cut it 50-50 with COWW and make dazam good hunting alloy.

Of course, the proper response when someone calls you with a problem like this is: “Its total crap man. Too soft………. And dangerous too. Cable sheathing is known to the state of California to cause birth defects!……….Yeah, better get your lead from a safer place……… Uh huh: wheel weights are MUCH safer……….Cool……….. By the way, where’s this stuff located again?”

:p:rolleyes::cool:

Anonymous
      Inactive
      • Silver
      • ★★

I am waiting for my friend to get back to me. I will definitely jump on it if his report is good. I though it would probably be pure Pb in order to remain flexible enough for cable sheathing, Thanks for the confirmation Tim.

Jay

Anonymous
      Inactive
      • Silver
      • ★★

Well it looks like I have bought 2000lbs (maybe a bit more). Transport will be an additional expense. Winnemucca, Nevada to the central Oregon coast, but still I can’t pass it up for the fuel and time to go get it. My major concern is smelting. With snow on the passes and rain here on the coast is will be thoroughly wet. And I imagine with a great wad of sheathing the places for water to hide will be tremendous. If start from a empty pot(mine is a half propane cylinder) will it get warm enough prior to melting for the water to evaporate, thus avoiding the tinsel fairy? Then letting the almost empty pot solidify before starting the process again? Any comments or advise?

retread

lar45
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★
      • Comments: 224
      • Overall: 245

I bought some cable sheathing several years back and used it just like pure lead for muzzle loader stuff. I cut mine into managable sized chuncks with an axe.

6bg6ga
      Participant
      • Bronze
      • Comments: 7
      • Overall: 7

Do you happen to have a Cabin Tree hardness tester? It would be interesting to test it to see if it had anything else in it.

6bg6ga
      Participant
      • Bronze
      • Overall: 7

People always talk about harness. Some feel they need to have a 10-15 hardness for target shooting or hunting. Is it really necessary? I’ve cast everything from 5 to about 18 brinel hardness. With proper fit there isn’t any leading but some still feel that hardness is the reason there isn’t any leading.

Anonymous
      Inactive
      • Silver
      • ★★

I powder coat so I am not too concerned about hardness. I do like them hard enough as to not flatten the tops of my SWC’s when sizing. That is for pistol, rifle is another story. I usually got with straight COWW’s and water drop.

merlin 101
      Participant
      • Bronze
      • Comments: 4
      • Overall: 4

retread;n510 wrote: Well it looks like I have bought 2000lbs (t. My major concern is smelting. With snow on the passes and rain here on the coast is will be thoroughly wet. And I imagine with a great wad of sheathing the places for water to hide will be tremendous. If start from a empty pot(mine is a half propane cylinder) will it get warm enough prior to melting for the water to evaporate, thus avoiding the tinsel fairy? Then letting the almost empty pot solidify before starting the process again? Any comments or advise?

retread

As long as you start with cold lead in a cold pot you won’t have a problem, the water will slowly heat up and evaporate long before it could build up any pressure form the steam.
      BTY You got a great deal there! lead around these parts is running about $1 per pound and up.

Anonymous
      Inactive
      • Silver
      • ★★

Thanks for the comeback. I assumed that would be the case but I have assumed wrongly in the past and felt another opinion was warranted.

retread

Anonymous
      Inactive
      • Bronze
      • Comments: 19
      • Overall: 20

Any left? I’m about 400 miles from there.

Anonymous
      Inactive
      • Bronze
      • Comments: 19
      • Overall: 20

As far as melting it down, as long as the puddle in the bottom of the pot is solidified it will melt without the tinsel fairy.

badbob454
      Participant
      • Bronze
      • Comments: 46
      • Overall: 59

good score
      not too far from carson city .

shaper
      Participant
      • Bronze
      • Overall: 11

My local metal recycle yard has a 4x4x4 ft. square box full of the sheathing lead. I bought all I can handle at .50 per pound and the box is still about half full. I was there a couple weeks ago and it is still there. If anyone needs some I can help make some arrangements for getting it .

shaper
      Participant
      • Bronze
      • Overall: 11

forgot to mention it is in north west Georgia about 40 miles south of Chattanooga. Tenn.

Viewing 14 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2017 Goodsteel Forum. Designed by Covalent Designs, LLC.