Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      digger
      Participant
      • Bronze
      • Comments: 3
      • Overall: 6

Was a faithful follower of Mr. Gibsons input over on the CB site and he has dropped bits and pieces of knowledge helping me out here and there.
      With that said …
      Not only if Mr. Gibson is reading , but hope anyone else here can help with a newbie and a AR-10 .
      Already have a “tanker” in .308 and a Ruger american , same caliber and have been enjoying casting and loading for both .
      Now am working the bugs out of a 308 AR and first off … with the action the way that it functions from the mag to the chamber ……
      Can cast bullets be just as functional or will they sustain to much damage with that style of action ?
      Any input will be appreciated .
      Thank you
      Digger

Larry Gibson
      Participant
      • Gold
      • ★★★
      • Comments: 507
      • Overall: 562
      • Gold

Cast bullet success in gas guns, especially the ARs is mostly dependent on bullet design and weight. Best results are with hard cast bullets with bore riding semi spritzer noses that have the bearing surface/lube grooves fitting the case neck. It’s really the short feed ramp and the way the cartridge feeds out of the mag that determine the best success. Also the velocity level desired influences success….or lack of it. Bullet weight should run 165 to 190 gr. with a ternary alloy perhaps having a tudge of Cu in it. I’ve found very good results with the Lee C309-180R, the RCBS 308-165-SIL and the MiHec MP311-180. Some other older designs work but usually are just “make do”.

Take a look at those moulds and let us know what you get, we can assist further from there?

Larry Gibson

digger
      Participant
      • Bronze
      • Comments: 3
      • Overall: 6

With that , I looked to see what I have … forgot about one or two.
      1. – Mihec 312-159
      2. -Mihec 311-180 (hunting bullet ?)
      3..-Lyman 311-332
      4. -NOE 311-365
      5. -NOE 311-299
      6. -Lyman 311-299
      Of course the Mihec’s are also HP’s but have been casting solids ..
      Have to admit tho , casting the Hp’s can be a bit fun.
      thanks
      Digger

popper
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★
      • Comments: 293
      • Overall: 294

LR308 carbine & rifle. H.T. #2 or hardball. 31-165 but I PC. Runs 2400 in the carbine, no problem.

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2017 Goodsteel Forum. Designed by Covalent Designs, LLC.