Viewing 19 reply threads
  • Author
      ZmanWakeForest
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★
      • Comments: 115
      • Overall: 135

This one followed me home today and just got her first good cleaning…..any experience or suggestions appreciated….

Kimber M96 in 6.5X55 with 22″ barrel, Mauser Action obviously, it had a crappy Chinese scope which I removed.

Goodsteel
      Keymaster
      • Gold
      • ★★★
      • Comments: 2452
      • Overall: 2660

No personal experience here, but I’m jealous. That’s a fine rifle in a classic caliber. I’ll bet it shoots very well!

ZmanWakeForest
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★

I am very happy with the condition. I can’t wait to load for it and send some down range. Will post some updates….came with three boxes of Factory rounds so those will go first obviously.

seaboltm
      Participant
      • Bronze
      • Comments: 64
      • Overall: 72

I have a 96 that I put a Green Mountain barrel on. 6.5×55 Ackley chamber with a long throat so that bullets can seated way out there. It is a 21 inch barrel and with 140 Accubonds it sends lead over the chrony at an honest 2800 fps. Last deer I shot was on the ground so fast I thought I had missed. I did the cock on open conversion using files and stones. I got a real education with that little project.

timspawn
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★
      • Comments: 137
      • Overall: 166

A buddy had one in 308 about twenty years ago when Kimber was actively selling them. It was a good shooter that would have benefited from an aftermarket trigger and bedding job.

ZmanWakeForest
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★

That may be in the works….we’ll see how she shoots!

Labradigger1
      Participant
      • Bronze
      • Comments: 16
      • Overall: 19

I seen one of the kimber conversions recently at a gun show, I’m still kicking myself for not buying it. I have a m96 and a cz550 fs and really enjoy them both. One fine caliber!

lar45
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★
      • Comments: 224
      • Overall: 245

I picked one of those up last year. I haven’t shot cast in it yet, but it does well with jacketed factory stuff. Mine came with a Nikon scope. I’d like to do the cock on open conversion to it.

ZmanWakeForest
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★

I have read a little on this “cock on open conversion”, but I am not sure I understand why folks want or like this to be changed? There was a Leapers 3X9X50 scope on mine when I purchased it……and (tongue in cheek….) although the red and green illuminated reticles where nice….it went down the road….

lar45
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★

When It’s dark and you turn the illuminated reticle on, all you can see is the inside of the scope 🙁
      I would want the conversion just because it’s what I’m used to and it’s the same on everything else I have except the SMLE.

Sgt. Mike
      Participant
      • Gold
      • ★★★
      • Comments: 789
      • Overall: 873

ZmanWakeForest;n985 wrote: This one followed me home today and just got her first good cleaning…..any experience or suggestions appreciated….

Kimber M96 in 6.5X55 with 22″ barrel, Mauser Action obviously, it had a crappy Chinese scope which I removed.

It’s no good you need to send it to me for dispoal purposes…. LOL J/king of course.

Beautiful Rifle there Zman.

ZmanWakeForest
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★

Thanks Sgt. Mike!

Larry Gibson
      Participant
      • Gold
      • ★★★
      • Comments: 507
      • Overall: 562
      • Gold

The Kimber’s were well done conversions of M96s. Had I not already had my own I probably would have gotten one. I’ve done several cock on opening conversions of M93, M95 and M96s for myself and others. I prefer the conversion because most of my other bolt action rifles are cock on opening. The shortening of lock time is also considerable and you don’t get that “cluck” and probable movement of the rifle from the long and heavy striker. Here’s my M38 “Scout” with the cock on open conversion.

Larry Gibson

Anonymous
      Inactive
      • Bronze
      • Comments: 3
      • Overall: 4

Nice looking boom stick. Let us know how she shoots ZMan.

ZmanWakeForest
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★

Thanks osteodoc! Hopefully she turns into a keeper!

kfarm
      Participant
      • Bronze
      • Comments: 8
      • Overall: 10

Used to part time with a dealer and played with a few when they first came out. They all looked and shot good. If I remember correctly the 6.5×55 was the original barrel with others chambered in other calibers. One I wanted was a 22-250 but was a little worried about the high pressure on the small ring receiver. When I did make up my mind to get one the market dried up. They were only out for a short time.

lar45
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★

It seems like I read somewhere that the Swedish steel had some small amounts of other metals in it making it kind of an alloy steel which was stronger than what the Germans were useing in the M93s.

Goodsteel
      Keymaster
      • Gold
      • ★★★
      • Comments: 2452
      • Overall: 2660

lar45;n3417 wrote: It seems like I read somewhere that the Swedish steel had some small amounts of other metals in it making it kind of an alloy steel which was stronger than what the Germans were useing in the M93s.

It aint whats in the steel that counts, its how you heat treat it.

lead-1
      Participant
      • Bronze
      • Comments: 82
      • Overall: 90

Nice rifle and it should serve you well, years back a friend of mine had a Husqvarna in that caliber and it was very accurate and dropped those groundhogs on the spot.

dverna
      Participant
      • Bronze
      • Comments: 81
      • Overall: 86

Very nice. And a great caliber too.

Viewing 19 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2017 Goodsteel Forum. Designed by Covalent Designs, LLC.