Viewing 9 reply threads
  • Author
      bjornb
      • Silver
      • ★★
      • Comments: 163
      • Overall: 176

About a year and a half ago, in the days after Tim and Larry’s politically motivated ban from Castboolits, I pitched the idea to Tim about starting a new forum. I always enjoyed reading the Goodsteel posts, and I found it profoundly petty and unfair that two of the most knowledgeable and prolific posters on CBF had become the victims of a couple of vindictive and ignorant moderators over there.

A few days later we launched Goodsteelforum, using the most readily available forum software that I could lay my hands on at the time. We didn’t even know if we’d get 10 people to come over and read. Fast forward to 2017, and there are more that 500 members of this forum. About 100 guys are the hard core of users, and I’ll call that a good start.

We realized soon, however, that the software we had “picked” had some severe shortcomings. Chief among them was the difficulty in posting pictures. The only way to post large picture files was to run them through a picture hosting service like Photobucket, creating extra steps in the process. When needing to post sometimes hundreds of pictures, something I did during the “XCB Project” back in 2014-15, the ability to quickly get a long day’s shooting online becomes important. I have long had several test projects sitting on the shelf, not wanting to post on other forums but not happy with the format of GSF.

Enter the new forum, which has had a difficult birth, but which is coming along nicely now, and is ready for the “hard core” to start navigating their way around it. I’ll be doing my best in the next few weeks to post up about several subjects, and I hope that the regulars start letting their voices be heard.

Let’s keep the momentum!!

Goodsteel
      Keymaster
      • Gold
      • ★★★
      • Comments: 2452
      • Overall: 2660

Well said Bjorn!

The Triple Deuce is looking in rare form there. I really want to start a thread and describe the MO of that rifle, the things that lead to it’s creation and the results we had when you visited the Natural State last.

bjornb
      • Silver
      • ★★

Oh, we have only scratched the surface. With a safe containing a spate of MBT rifles I intend to shoot them all for the benefit of the forum readers. That’s what I enjoy doing, and now that posting has become enjoyable again I’m ready to get moving. I’ll shortly be taking delivery of two new 35 cal rifles: The original “Eskimo Queen” in 35×57 XCB, now with a new Krieger barrel installed (the Douglas we started out with just wouldn’t shoot to satisfaction), and a reworked Remington 600 Mohawk, that started life as a 243 Win but now sports a JES rebored barrel chambered in 358 Winchester, 1:14 twist.

These two rifles will travel with me to Alaska later this month, and I’ll be putting them both through their paces with both cast and jacketed bullets. Then one of them will go moose hunting in September.

To be continued……..

Mike F H
      Participant
      • Bronze
      • Comments: 21
      • Overall: 21

Pleased to see the forum is starting to run.

uber7mm
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★
      • Comments: 288
      • Overall: 305

Bjorn,

Very nice rifles.  Is the Mauser also chambered in 35×57?

bjornb
      • Silver
      • ★★

Yeah, that’s the Eskimo Queen (named after the Arctic Camo stock).  Action is a commercial FN Mauser 98. Timney trigger, jeweled bolt by Tim. A beautiful rifle.

Goodsteel
      Keymaster
      • Gold
      • ★★★

Just bear with us while we figure out the issues. There are many details that go into launching a new web sight. Its hard to balance it all…….

bjornb
      • Silver
      • ★★

……but it’ll be worth it…..

Goodsteel
      Keymaster
      • Gold
      • ★★★

I’ve got the Mohawk bedded, lapped, honed, and tweeked. Should be ready for a test shoot soon!

bjornb
      • Silver
      • ★★

……and I’ve got 2 scopes waiting for her, along with a bucket of bullets, both cast and jacketed!

Viewing 9 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2017 Goodsteel Forum. Designed by Covalent Designs, LLC.