Viewing 7 reply threads
  • Author
      lead-1
      Participant
      • Bronze
      • Comments: 82
      • Overall: 90

I know this is a cast bullet site but with the long range/target rifles I’ve seen here I thought I ask.
      I picked up a box of 100+ Hornady 30 cal, 168 grain National Match BTHP bullets and when I opened the box I found something I never seen before.
      The closest looking picture I can find of them is Lapua’s D46 bullets or something called a rebated base bullet. Can I load these the same as a regular BTHP bullet or is the rebated base designed for something else? I’m sorry if this sounds goofy but I never seen this style bullet before or, for that matter, heard of them.

Goodsteel
      Keymaster
      • Gold
      • ★★★
      • Comments: 2452
      • Overall: 2660

First of all, this is a shooting sight. I run jacketed where it makes sense to run it. My M1A and the 300WinMag are two such examples.

Now, the box of bullets you have there is either old, very new, or mislabeled, as I have only heard that Hornady made rebated BT a long time ago and for a short period of time. Larry Gibson probably knows better.

As to how they are used, I would run them exactly like a standard projectile. See how they work for you.

bullet maker
      Participant
      • Bronze
      • Comments: 76
      • Overall: 88

A rebated BT bullet is meant for long range shooting. When the bullet leaves the muzzle, the gasses are evenly distributed around the base of the bullet. Less yaw. The drag from the base is supposed to be less at distance. I make RBBT bullets for myself.

lead-1
      Participant
      • Bronze

At first I thought someone might have altered these as the box had been opened and resealed. I never seen such a bullet before, as soon as I looked at one I though these look like jacketed bullets made for a gas check, which I knew better. It was an odd sight to say the least, thanks guys.

Larry Gibson
      Participant
      • Gold
      • ★★★
      • Comments: 507
      • Overall: 562
      • Gold

Yes, the Hornaday 168 Match bullet originally had a rebated boat tail. That feature proved to not have any real advantage over a standard boat and was dropped. Can you post a picture of the box?

Larry Gibson

lead-1
      Participant
      • Bronze

I was wrong the rebated bullets aren’t marked “National” but just “Match”. The regular BTHP bullet shown is marked National on the box. Here is the box if the picture works and a side by side picture of the regular BTHP and the rebated bullet.

Not only are the pictures huge, sorry, but the bullets look to be a lot different but they are both 168 grain by my scales. It must be the angle of the phone camera.

Larry Gibson
      Participant
      • Gold
      • ★★★
      • Comments: 507
      • Overall: 562
      • Gold

Yup, them’s some old bullets. Always shot well though.

Larry Gibson

lead-1
      Participant
      • Bronze

Nowhere on either box is there a part number or date like on my newer boxes, that also helped fuel the confusion on what these actually are.

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2017 Goodsteel Forum. Designed by Covalent Designs, LLC.