Viewing 7 reply threads
  • Author
      Goodsteel
      Keymaster
      • Gold
      • ★★★
      • Comments: 2452
      • Overall: 2660

I don’t mind saying this is about as scary as it gets.
      Would somebody mind posting this on castboolits and any other forums you might have access to? Thanks.

The government is threatening this guy with prison time for making a stinking hammer block safety device!!!!

http://www.forbes.com/sites/frankminiter/2016/08/29/you-wont-believe-why-a-gun-maker-is-suiting-the-state-department/#3938fe0114c9

http://www.leocombat.com/lawsuit/

In a previous column I wrote about executive guidance from the White House that would allow the U.S. Department of State to require gunsmiths to pay a $2,250 annual fee. As often happens, this article caused many people to contact me with more leads. One was Rob Lyman, owner of Leo Combat LLC, located in Centennial, Colo. Leo Combat was established in 2013 and now makes three products: covers for the exposed hammers on revolvers (a gun-safety product), a knife and a belt clip for a knife or holster. Though Leo Combat is a small manufacturer that doesn’t make firearms, ammunition or something else a hostile foreign government or terrorist group could use, the U.S. Department of State notified Lyman that he is required him to pay $2,250 every year as mandated by the Directorate of Defense Trade Controls (DDTC) regulations.

The Department of State sent Lyman a letter on official letterhead on June 18, 2015 that says in part:

Section 38 of the Arms Exports Control Act (ACEA) and Section 722.1 of the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR) require that persons in the business of manufacturing or exporting defense articles or defense services register with the Department of State, Directorate of Defense Trade Controls (DDTC), Office of Defense Trade Controls Compliance.

The Office of Defense Trade Controls Compliance has reason to believe that LEO COMBATT LLC is involved in the business of manufacturing and/or exporting of defense articles or defense services. Al examination of information contained in a Commodity Jurisdiction Determination Case (DDTC Case CJ 0176-15) indicates a Manufacturing/Exporter registration may be required. A review of our records indicates. that LEO COMBATT LLC is not currently registered with this Office.

Failure to register with this Office constitutes a violation of the AECA and the ITAR and could result in civil and/or criminal penalties.

A letter like that from the U.S. Department of State would make most people pause, but a few, if they think they are legally or morally right, might just clench their fists and fight. Lyman responded with a lawsuit (Note, on August 29, 2016 (hours after this column was posted) the U.S. District Court For The District Of Colorado dismissed Lyman’s case for lack of standing. Lyman says he isn’t likely to appeal, but is looking for others to represent in a similar challenge.) He says, “I decided, for the sake of fairness and our freedom, I had to do something no other company has attempted in at least the last 47 years.” Lyman’s lawsuit challenges the constitutionality of the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR), as it applies to domestic manufacturers.

ITAR gives the U.S. Department of State the authority to regulate arms sales, munitions, missiles and other potentially dangerous materials, as our government quite understandably doesn’t want U.S. manufacturers to sell products related to war to our enemies. But ITAR is so broad-reaching it requires even manufacturers that make firearms-related products to pay the $2,250 annual fee. They require this $2,250 fee even if the companies aren’t exporting products, which Lyman says he isn’t.

Sgt. Mike
      Participant
      • Gold
      • ★★★
      • Comments: 789
      • Overall: 873
      Goodsteel
      Keymaster
      • Gold
      • ★★★

I wouldn’t mind snapping off another $250 for the DDTC if they could demonstrate any intention on my part to export in the first place.
      The ATF is a domestic organization, and I do not mind patronizing them as they deal specifically with my line of work and I agree with most of their regulations, and the fees keep the agency running without burdening my business.
      I just don’t see how the DDTC has a leg to stand on demanding a single red cent from an American business selling products to Americans.

Sgt. Mike
      Participant
      • Gold
      • ★★★
      • Comments: 789
      • Overall: 873

Per the reports to Congress here are the facts ( I’m only covering registration):
      From 1990’s to 2004 the fee was $600.00 annually
      in 2004 it increased to $1750 annually more than doubled.
      during the Obama years the fee increased to $2250

During the years 2001 to 2012 the state Department never reported the amount of registration fees collected.
      The highest years of their budget (the State Department) 13.4 Million The concept per law and treaty was to collect enough money to run the operation.
      Every secretary of state except Clinton reported the number of Gov’t employees and contractors. Only after Clinton left office did the State Department release the amount of money collected.There is more to this as well that I will not get into which does not favour Clinton nor Obama.
      in 2013 the budget was 1.5 million with collecting 41 Million in registration and export fees. In 2014 again budget was the same 1.5 Million with 41 Million collected, 2015 the budget was 1.5 Million with 39 Million collected. My question is the intent was to be self sustaining soooo where is the excess 30 plus Million going to

Fact 1 ONLY Congress (Legislative Branch) has the legal right to collect Revenue.
      Fact 2 The Executive Branch consist of The President, State Department and his Cabinet ie Department Homeland security, FBI, DoD, etcThey are allowed by Congress to only collect operation cost.
      Fact 3 The Executive Branch has used this to circumvent law and curtail growth and to shut down businesses in the Arms trade which is where our components and toys come from. USC prohibits the Executive branch from collecting excessive fees which is called Revenue once it goes to the US Treasury Department.

Bottom Line Congress needs to address this by modifying the law that allows the Executive Branch to establishing and collecting the fees to a system of Congressional oversight or approval.
      The excess monies collect for registration versus operating cost should be returned to those whom registered. This has been used by a anti-gun fraction to bankrupt the gun industry all because they cannot get the laws they desire past Congress and our legal system.

Once the Executive branch collected excess funds it became taxes this is unconstitutional per the constitution, remember only the Legislative branch (Congress) has the ability to raise Revenue. One could agrue the tax stamp that is collected on weapons of mass destruction that fee was established by LAW not Executive rulings, as such that fee ( Tax Stamp) has not risen since 1928.

This abuse of power and violation of the Constitution should enrage every gun owner, Military member, and citizen in America.

Goodsteel
      Keymaster
      • Gold
      • ★★★

Well said!!!! I think I’ll Ctrl-C Ctrl-V this into a few emails!
      Thank you!

Harter
      Participant
      • Gold
      • ★★★
      • Comments: 807
      • Overall: 883

Can we the people just lay siege to DC while they are all there and starve them into submission . By then we should have their attention . The we can get back to having a proud donation of proud people’s .

Goodsteel
      Keymaster
      • Gold
      • ★★★

Hard to lay seige to a place full of people who travel by private helicopter that we paid for.

Harter
      Participant
      • Gold
      • ★★★
      • Comments: 807
      • Overall: 883

Just frustrated with the endless campaign and disregard for we the people . .carry on .

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2017 Goodsteel Forum. Designed by Covalent Designs, LLC.