This topic contains 46 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  kens 2 years, 11 months ago.

• Author
     Goodsteel 
    Keymaster
    • Gold
    • ★★★
    • Comments: 2452
    • Overall: 2660

2016 hunting season. I can almost smell it in the air. Gasoline, wood fire, cigarette smoke, beer, blood and mud. That’s deer camp!

Last year was one of my top ten hunting seasons ever and I did most of the grocery shopping with my 1886 45-70.
    My mind is on which rifle I’ll take this year, and I’m sure it’s crossed yours as well. Got something that needs christening? A new rifle that could be one step closer to your ultimate game getter? A shotgun?
    Fun stuff to think about. It’s a dilicious frustration.

This year, I will have the 10gauge SXS with me in case they run dogs again. I’ve found a great #4 buck load for it.

Im a bit torn on the choice of rifle though.
    I could just cheat and take the M1A Scout. That’s my default, no frills, get the job done quick rifle. Thats not too exciting though.
    Since last year, I’ve installed an octagon barrel on the 1886 and just last week, I cut it down to 16″. New barrel, I designed a new bullet for it. It’s definitely calling me, but I already took it last year, and maybe I should give something else a chance to earn its keep.
    I’ve got a Winchester 70 XTR I inherited from my late uncle a few months ago. It’s in 270 Winchester. Nice gun, but about as exciting as test driving a 2005 Prius. I know what the 270 does to deer, I’d be shooting factory ammo. Ho hum, but hey, it’s nostalgic.
    I would love to take the 35XCB for a test run, but there’s no way I could finish that rifle in time, so it’s out.
    The Sako 358 “Siete Leguas” is getting mighty dusty of late. Maybe I should stretch her legs a bit.
    Hmmmm.

So those are the mental circles my brain is running in. What’s YOUR plans for a deer rifle this year? You gonna get it done with a handgun? Pop em in the next county with your MBT custom? Try out the brand new shoulder fired laser you got for Christmas? Whats the plan?

Harter 
    Participant
    • Gold
    • ★★★
    • Comments: 802
    • Overall: 875

No big game hunting for me just birds and rabbit’s. Just an old beat up O/U for that. It’s not even a good one ,but I’m almost ashamed of how many ducks it’s brought home……and 1 coyote.

WCM 
    Participant
    • Silver
    • ★★
    • Comments: 368
    • Overall: 398

I am going to use my official Cast Boolits Sling shot.
    I can shoot 2″ fifty yard groups with it.

Now I am a Cast Boolits hero.

JPHolla 
    Participant
    • Silver
    • ★★
    • Comments: 120
    • Overall: 121

What ever I feel like that morning! Probably leaning toward a lever year. Just got a 7mm rem mag that’s tempting, but then I have an old 250-3000 I never killed anything with and really wanted to…and then I built a 38-55 last year…but then again I kinda wanted to kill a deer with the Swiss vetterli…

Rattlesnake Charlie 
    Participant
    • Gold
    • ★★★
    • Comments: 679
    • Overall: 831

Come deer season in SW KS, I’ll probably use my Shiloh Sharps in .45-70 when sitting. If I should have to do a lot of walking, I’ll probably carry my Marlin 1895 Cowboy in .45-70. Did you notice I like .45-70? If the wind is blowing hard, and I think I will be on top of them I’ll use my Ruger SS SBH in .44 mag.

Butch Wax 
    Participant
    • Silver
    • ★★
    • Comments: 158
    • Overall: 180

If I were younger and in better health with a place to hunt, I’d use my new Rossi R92 levergun in 357mag. Here in Texas, unless in the big open western plains, woods shooting sure doesn’t require a scoped .30’06. An open sight lever action is all ya need…..

Wright Arms 
    Participant
    • Silver
    • ★★
    • Comments: 130
    • Overall: 138

I have what has been described by another as a ‘Frankenmauser’ in .308 Winchester that is more than accurate enough for deer hunting. And it’s assembly was in large part due to the influence of the proprietor of this fine site. As this may well be my last deer season due to moving, I will be quite proud to carry this rifle afield.

Thank you, Tim.

WCM 
    Participant
    • Silver
    • ★★

I will probably hunt with my Ruger #1 .30/06 or my Browning Model 95 in .30/40 Krag.
    I don’t like tracking deer, especially late evening into dark, so the .30/06 with a 150 gr bullet usually gets the job done right there.

Rattlesnake Charlie 
    Participant
    • Gold
    • ★★★

I notice that no one has listed a super duper high velocity whiz bang or black rifles. The only time I use a black rifle is for prairie dog hunting and coyote calling. I prefer to hunt with classic firearms. Just more satisfying for me.

popper 
    Participant
    • Silver
    • ★★
    • Comments: 293
    • Overall: 294
     lar45 
    Participant
    • Silver
    • ★★
    • Comments: 224
    • Overall: 245

I’m kind of itchin to try out my new Husky in 9.3×57
    I’ve got some .375″ Speer 235’s sized down to .369″ and shooting around 2500fps

Artful 
    Participant
    • Gold
    • ★★★
    • Comments: 428
    • Overall: 615

No hunting camp for me – I hunted quite a bit in Oregon but Arizona way more wantabe hunters than game.

skeettx 
    Participant
    • Silver
    • ★★
    • Comments: 197
    • Overall: 213

Remington 721 in 30-06
    Old but stable

Goodsteel 
    Keymaster
    • Gold
    • ★★★

Solid choice!!!!

lar45 
    Participant
    • Silver
    • ★★
    • Comments: 224
    • Overall: 245

It’s pretty hard to go wrong with that one. My oldest son hunts with one and has taken well over a dozen Elk with it.

timspawn 
    Participant
    • Silver
    • ★★
    • Comments: 137
    • Overall: 166

My MBT 260 and hopefully the Ruger M77 250 Savage that is being delivered tomorrow.

WCM 
    Participant
    • Silver
    • ★★

I have an old 721 in .270 win.
    My dad bought it off an alcoholic used car salesman back in the 60’s for $60

My grandfather hunted with it for a while.
    The gun had a terrible trigger so I put a Timney in it.

I have shot dime sized groups with old Rem 130gr factory ammo.

yodogsandman 
    Participant
    • Bronze
    • Comments: 6
    • Overall: 6

A Mauser FR-8 in 7.62×51 NATO (308) that’s been cut, chopped. gouged, welded, sanded, checkered, modified, had chunks of wood glued on to it and has been fully glass bedded. It has a Timney Deluxe trigger with safety and wears a Bushnell 3-9×40 scope. I have less than $200 into it, if you count the new scope. Absolutely reliable and shoots “lights out”.

WCM 
    Participant
    • Silver
    • ★★

When I go out in the woods this week I will be using my fathers old Marlin .44 mag.
    The rifle stimulates a lot of nostalgic feelings for me.
    Besides it being my fathers favorite brush rifle, it was the first deer rifle I ever hunted with when I was eleven years old.

Goodsteel 
    Keymaster
    • Gold
    • ★★★

That’s awesome John!

ZmanWakeForest 
    Participant
    • Silver
    • ★★
    • Comments: 115
    • Overall: 135

This is always a tough decision and depends a lot on where I am going and the weather. Have a nice stainless/composite all weather 7mm Mag that is the stand by regardless. It has never let me down. There is always my CVA inline that has been the meat provider for 10 years around here. (Hunting in this county in NC, to use a centerfire rifle we must be 8ft of the ground, thus I carry the inline so if I what to stop on the way home from work and grab a hour evening hunt, the CVA inline is my choice as I don’t need to climb a stand).

Also hunt in PA for bear and deer season. Where we hunt we do a lot of man drives for both bear and deer seasons on the mountains which are filled with lots of mountain laurel. Usually carry the 444 Marlin if we are driving deer, usually the 7mm Mag for bear, but if I am head for my stand it will likely be my 7mm SAUM this year anyhow. If it’s a super nice day and no weather coming in, the 270 Weatherby may make an appearance here and there!

Lots of other choices….. Savage 99 in 300 Savage or 303 Savage both with iron sites, a trusty beat up Savage 111 in 270 win which is also always reliable, etc, etc, etc.

Doc44 
    Participant
    • Bronze
    • Comments: 36
    • Overall: 37

The first doe of the season fell to my R-15 in 30 Remington AR. Next I need to take out the matching Mauser to Lars45 in 9.3×57. The Henry Big Boy in 41mag will also get a turn.

timspawn 
    Participant
    • Silver
    • ★★
    • Comments: 137
    • Overall: 166

I got my first coyote the first time I hunted with my (new to me) Ruger in 250 Savage a couple of weeks back.

Goodsteel 
    Keymaster
    • Gold
    • ★★★

Perfect caliber for the application Tim.

Rattlesnake Charlie 
    Participant
    • Gold
    • ★★★

I’ll take my Shiloh Sharps .45-70 to the range this weekend. It will be interesting to see how I do with the new glasses I just picked up today. I picked up my 1895 Marlin Cowboy when I got home late this afternoon. I didn’t know it had a front sight. I now have both bifocals and hearing aids. I hate to think what is next.

mountain4don 
    Participant
    • Bronze
    • Comments: 39
    • Overall: 50

I have my Winchester 94 John Wayne Commerative short barrel rifle in 32-40 all tuned up shooting RCBS 32-170 Flat Nosed Gas Checked bullets over 26.5 grains of IMR-3031. I will be woods hunting from a deer stand and probably have a viewing range of about 50 yards in pretty dense woods. I just hope this is enough gun for the job here in Mid-Missouri for deer. I might use something with a little more range across the soy bean fields later in the season. Like a MAS 36/51 in 7.5 x 54 MAS shooting 170 grain RCBS cast bullet over about 32 grains of IMR-4895.

Goodsteel 
    Keymaster
    • Gold
    • ★★★

Both are awesome rifles! Good luck with the glasses. ill bet you can find a sweet spot that puts you right where you want to be. New glasses are wonderful!

Goodsteel 
    Keymaster
    • Gold
    • ★★★

I have no doubt you will be pleased with that combo in 32-40.
    I guess you’re running about 1700-1800fps with a flat nosed bullet. If you put the bullet in the right place, you’re going to be surprised at how effective that is.
    Reminds me of when I first started hunting with cast bullets. I just prayed I did everything right and pulled the trigger. Five minutes later I was looking at the rifle saying “whoa! That’s awesome!”.
    A double lung hit with a cast FN bullet is meat in the freezer. Often faster than if you’d used a jacketed bullet at faster speeds.

kens 
    Participant
    • Gold
    • ★★★
    • Comments: 531
    • Overall: 587

This is a good thread for the help I need.
    I am getting old & fat and need to walk (hike) a lot. I call it scouting deer or hog.
    I got a good choice of mauser actions to choose, what would be a good Bubba’d mauser for a lightweight/short hiking rifle.
    Around here 75yards is a long woodland shot.
    Throw some ideas at me, pls.
    A Brazilian 1922 ??

Harter 
    Participant
    • Gold
    • ★★★
    • Comments: 802
    • Overall: 875

A nice 9×57 ?

jwt 
    Participant
    • Bronze
    • Comments: 18
    • Overall: 20

Nothing.

I have always deer hunted with my Dad and his buddies. Over the years everyone other that Dad and I have stopped hunting for various reasons. This will be Dad’s last year. His memory is failing very fast. We will be going up north to just spend time together. We will visit some old haunts, retell old stories, and share some good scotch. It’s going to be hard.

I have no idea where or with who I will be hunting in the future.

Goodsteel 
    Keymaster
    • Gold
    • ★★★

So sorry to hear about your dad. Perhaps you can find a young man you can pass the torch to. A son, a nephew?
    I was mentored by my brother in laws father. I’ll never forget hunting with that man, and my brother in law. Best times of my life. I hope I can pass it on myself one day.

Goodsteel 
    Keymaster
    • Gold
    • ★★★

kens;n11131 wrote: This is a good thread for the help I need.
    I am getting old & fat and need to walk (hike) a lot. I call it scouting deer or hog.
    I got a good choice of mauser actions to choose, what would be a good Bubba’d mauser for a lightweight/short hiking rifle.
    Around here 75yards is a long woodland shot.
    Throw some ideas at me, pls.
    A Brazilian 1922 ??

Pull up a chair my good man! That, is my specialty.
    Find a good tight action. Doesn’t really matter which. The action contributes little to the weighty feel of a rifle.
    The barrel is where the weight is really noticed. You’d be amazed how stripping 1/32 inch off the profile can change the feel of the rifle.
    If I were you, I would take a 98 mauser, buy a Shilen barrel and a Boydes stock.
    Chamber that puppy 358 Winchester. Use the Lyman 358318 cast of whatever you want.
    cut the barrel to 16″.
    Put a 1-4x scout scope on that puppy and leave the bolt handle alone.
    Voila. The perfect lightweight thumper.

A word on the bullet I recommended.
    Its known around here as “the venison boomerang” if you use a 14 twist barrel, and push it at modest velocities, it WILL tumble when it hits and exit sideways. The last deer I shot with that bullet was froma rifle very similar to what I described above. I had a 4X scout scope on the barrel. When the trigger broke, I saw a flash of daylight through the deer and a pink spray out the other side. Range was 75 yards. The deer ran straight toward me abs died 15 yards in front of my kneeling position.
    Doesn’t get much better than that.

Other calibers to consider:
    6.5×55
    7×57
    30XCB
    8×57
    35 XCB
    7mm08
    338 Federal
    30-06
    35 Whelen

kens 
    Participant
    • Gold
    • ★★★

I have bbls in 7×57, 8×57, and a .35whelen Large ring bbl. the .35wlelen bbl cannot be set back for LR 358win, but, can I turn the stub end down to accept small ring threads at 358win set back dims?

Goodsteel 
    Keymaster
    • Gold
    • ★★★

kens;n11145 wrote: I have bbls in 7×57, 8×57, and a .35whelen Large ring bbl. the .35wlelen bbl cannot be set back for LR 358win, but, can I turn the stub end down to accept small ring threads at 358win set back dims?

I wouldn’t bother! Run the 35 Whelen! No flies on that puppy whatsoever. Easy decision. The 8X57 would be my second choice (actually, if the bore condition is as good as the Whelen barrel, it’s my first choice).
    7X57 is an awesome cartridge (one of the greatest in history) but I would hate to run cast in it. My personal philosophy is anything smaller than 30 caliber is a jacketed only proposition. Many disagree with me on this, but looking at those teensy weensy gas checks makes my finger tips tingle, and the twist rate on that caliber ham strings cast pretty badly.

kens 
    Participant
    • Gold
    • ★★★

So, you are priming me to take my brand new in the white .35whelen bbl and chop it off at 16″ ?? 😮
    35whelen in a 16″ bbl must be a real redneck loudenboomer?? :rolleyes:

I got a small ring 98 bbl’d action in decent 8mm bore, also.

Goodsteel 
    Keymaster
    • Gold
    • ★★★

kens;n11157 wrote: So, you are priming me to take my brand new in the white .35whelen bbl and chop it off at 16″ ?? 😮
    35whelen in a 16″ bbl must be a real redneck loudenboomer?? :rolleyes:

I got a small ring 98 bbl’d action in decent 8mm bore, also.

I practice what I preach. Bjornb and I have been doing a lot of experiments with short barreled rifles. He has taken a hacksaw to several of his guns and knocked them back to 17″-20″. With cast bullets, accuracy showed no change or slight, to drastic improvement. Speed was surprisingly only slightly lower than originaly measured.
    Turns out, if you’re making your own ammo, and selecting your powder per application, you can negate most of the common knowledge of short barreled rifles cutting your speeds in half and producing 12 foot fire balls.

I rebarreled my Browning 1886 with a 27″ barrel and recorded accuracy and speeds with it from a massive amount of test loads. Then I cut the barrel to 16″ and repeated.
    Loads that would have given me 1550fps-1650fps now produce 1300fps-1400fps. Recoil is lighter, and accuracy was not noticeably changed at all across all loads. So I took off 10.5″ of barrel and only lost 250fps. That’s less than a Daisey Red Ryder bb gun’s worth of difference and I can slip through the woods easier, with a much lighter rifle.
    Bjornb reports similar results.
    Think the deer will notice?

kens 
    Participant
    • Gold
    • ★★★

what is the effect of taking a full size case such as 35whelen, and you load it to cast hunting velocities, you get a lot of airspace in the powder load……how does this effect reliable ignition and accuracy?

Goodsteel 
    Keymaster
    • Gold
    • ★★★

kens;n11170 wrote: what is the effect of taking a full size case such as 35whelen, and you load it to cast hunting velocities, you get a lot of airspace in the powder load……how does this effect reliable ignition and accuracy?

In my experience only slightly, but you have to put enough powder in the case to get the job done. If your barrel is a 14 twist, then you should be looking at speeds of 2100+. and that can be easily achieved with common stick powders with a clean burn.
    Adding Dacron filler to the case (you know that quilt filler upper?) will bring up the pressure and speed and keeps the powder against the primer, but so far, I’ve only seen a small edge in accuracy. If it were me, I would start with 4895 and the RCBS 35-200-FN (or Lee’s 6 cavity version) water dropped, sized to .360, White Label 2500+ lube, and a Hornady GC.
    Start with a speed of 2000FPS. You’ll probably see accuracy improve as you increase your charge. Keep upping the powder charge till one of the following happens:
    1. The recoil is more than you care for.
    2. Accuracy suddenly goes to pot.
    3. You hit the Max charge data (unlikely in this case).

I suspect you’ll start getting good accuracy about the time you start getting close to your limit on recoil, and that’s just fine.

kens 
    Participant
    • Gold
    • ★★★

that not really the direction I wanted to go. Something in the .30-30 class would be just the ticket, I want the ability to use it in a tree stand, low recoil. Don’t want big muzzle blast and recoil. Kicking around all the dusty boxes tho, Im slowly piecing together a old Kar98a 8mm. thats a small ring 8mm, already been cut down to 20″ bbl. a 8mm down loaded to equal aka .30-30+p might do the trick.

ZmanWakeForest 
    Participant
    • Silver
    • ★★
    • Comments: 115
    • Overall: 135

jwt;n11134 wrote: Nothing.

I have always deer hunted with my Dad and his buddies. Over the years everyone other that Dad and I have stopped hunting for various reasons. This will be Dad’s last year. His memory is failing very fast. We will be going up north to just spend time together. We will visit some old haunts, retell old stories, and share some good scotch. It’s going to be hard.

I have no idea where or with who I will be hunting in the future.

Sorry about your Dad! My dad has all but gave it up now as well! I sure miss having him there in the woods with us! It may be a hard trip, but the memories you have will last forever and nobody can take that away.

Sharing some good scotch with your dad is something I always look forward too. I usually try to take a nice bottle with me when I go…..I still love hearing him say the same thing over and over….said in his scratchy aging voice….”I don’t know why you buy this top shelf stuff, the cheap stuff is just as good”. Ten minutes later he looks at me across the cabin with the wood stove running overtime and says….. “Damn that some good scotch!”. Makes me laugh every year!

Enjoy your time with him!

Goodsteel 
    Keymaster
    • Gold
    • ★★★

I’d say so!
    Great choice!

kens 
    Participant
    • Gold
    • ★★★

Just this week I had a Browning A-bolt 270Win up in a tree stand. A couple deer walked by, one was so small I would have caught ridicule to take it to camp.
    The other one was much larger, i scanned it thru the scope looking for buck rack, no can see. It walked on safely.
    But, I have now come to the absolute conclusion that a full sized rifle such as an ABolt is too much for a tree stand. It is just clumsy in a tree stand. and the shot I didn’t take made me realize that I need a small size case. Because the muzzle is pointed downward all the powder is gonna be on the neck, not the base. To shoot a downloaded cast boolit in a tree stand I need a small case.
    For example, something like a 35Whelen downloaded for cast would have a lot of airspace and the powder all laying at the neck.
    I feel the need for a smaller case like 35Rem or 7.62×39.
    Perhaps a 95mauser barrelled in 35Rem with a carbine length barrel??

Goodsteel 
    Keymaster
    • Gold
    • ★★★

358 Winchester is what you need. You load it with a compressed charge of 3031, and a soft cast bullet.

Buy one of the cheap Axis, American, or 783 rifles in 308 (not because I think you’re a cheapskate, but because these rifles are inherently LIGHT).
    Chop the barrel to “16.
    Send it to JES for a three groove 358 Winchester rebore.
    Drop in a Timney trigger.
    Screw a Leupold low power scope (I’m not kidding. 1-6 power fixed).

Youll thank me.

kens 
    Participant
    • Gold
    • ★★★

Midwayusa had 1 piece left of Shilen 35rem small ring barrel, priced out on clearance blowout sale. I threw down plastic money and clicked on it.
    So now tell me a good way to put a scout scope base on a sporter taper barrel.
    I dont really like drilling/tapping the taper on a barrel.

Goodsteel 
    Keymaster
    • Gold
    • ★★★

How are you with cutting dove tails?
    If you take 1/2″ square stock and cut dovetails in the ends and cut it long, you can dove in two islands that you can then drill and tap for a weaver rail.
    https://www.mcmaster.com/#standard-s…heets/=159jh31
    Use the rail for the flat top Marlin 336/444/1895 rifles and just screw it down.
    https://www.midwayusa.com/product/81…-45-922m-matte
    Need a little more downward angle? Take off the rail and file down the front pad.

Once you have the rail at the angle you want, clean it real well with soap and water followed by alcohol, and use JB-Weld to bond it to the pads (this also acts as bedding compound to take up any space left from not quite filing the tops of the islands perfectly flat.

I’ve used this method to hash together a quick scout scope setup and I killed a deer once with a rifle I set up exactly like this in 358 Winchester. Harter66 has the barrel now.

kens 
    Participant
    • Gold
    • ★★★

I don’t have a mill. I got a lathe with a hokey mill vise that replaces the tool post, its really hokey though.
    Here is what Im thinking:
    Duplicate the military mauser sweated on tubing style sight base.
    I could turn a mandrel to approximate the sportier taper, then take a piece of tubing and turn it/bore it to close to the correct taper, and heat & beat to fit the mandrel.
    Then take a section of steel blank picatinny and weld it to the tubing piece that I just heat-n-beat. Then sweat the assembly onto the sportier barrel.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/steel-rifle-…cAAOSwo6lWKVYy

http://www.onlinemetals.com/merchant…50&top_cat=197

Since I don’t have a mill, all this can be done on a lathe.
    BTW, I got a extra, small lathe for sale/trade/barter.

Another option I thought of is:
    take the sportier barrel and turn a little area of straight O.D. such that the tubing no longer requires a I.D. taper.

On some rifles such as Safari Rifles, and Express Rifles, you commonly see the tubing around the barrel for front sight bases, sling swivels, etc., etc.
    therefore I think the idea of sweated on tubing for scope base might look OK.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2017 Goodsteel Forum. Designed by Covalent Designs, LLC.