This topic contains 17 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  popper 2 years, 7 months ago.

• Author
     Goodsteel 
    Keymaster
    • Gold
    • ★★★
    • Comments: 2452
    • Overall: 2660

Nobody asked, but I thought it would be a great idea to have a place for Menner to make us jealous with his big catch. LOL!

I hope you guys like the new sub forum. Seems to me that most of us quit throwing bullets through the air for only one reason, and that is so we can drop a hook in the water.
    Everybody loves a good fishing story, so please feel free to regale us with your greatest moments, or your most current catch, or………(drum roll)……….THE ONE THAT GOT AWAY!!!!

Enjoy!

Goodsteel 
    Keymaster
    • Gold
    • ★★★

Pretty nice! Caught her on my birthday too. You shoulda froze her and mailed her to me. LOL!

popper 
    Participant
    • Silver
    • ★★
    • Comments: 293
    • Overall: 294

Tim, this gets like 200yd 22LR targets, but! 10# drum on a 8wt fly rod, local teenager helped me get it onto the bank. ~8# black on local pond,just a clicker drag reel, knuckles get pretty banged on that one and finger burns when I tried holding the line for drag. Got a huge goldfish that I couldn’t even turn on the same pond. Several 4-6# cats that went back & forth across the pond before getting banked. 2′ stripper when Red river was at flood stage, foul hooked, thought I caught a log going downstream @ 30mph – 20# saltwater tippet. 5# rainbow on a 3 wt with 3# tippet at trophy area on perry como, also foul hooked. Got a couple small trout up on the Norfolk. .Almost as much fun as shooting. Son has family record of 125# blacktip. He doesn’t want to do that again. Getting to the age I need to find a home for some good TFO rods. Come to think of it, that 24″ AR10 is getting too heavy to handle also (15# loaded).

Goodsteel 
    Keymaster
    • Gold
    • ★★★

Dang Ric. Only you could make a a fish like that look pretty. LOL!

kens 
    Participant
    • Gold
    • ★★★
    • Comments: 531
    • Overall: 587

Waksupi;n13355 wrote: Not current, but I love chasing pike!

We have chain pickeral around here.
    What the difference between Pike, Pickeral, and Musky?

Harter 
    Participant
    • Gold
    • ★★★
    • Comments: 802
    • Overall: 875

Sadly no pictures ……..
    In 92 the whole clan went to Baja , Mom and had been getting a place together down there for about a yr . It’s funny I don’t remember a thing about that Christmas or Gramps Bills birthday . Every minute of the 4hr in the boat and every hookup is clear as polished plate glass . Dad’s was the first hookup about 4.5# sea bass , Gene the oldest boy hit next and dragged a little 3.5# sand bass up . Steven my youngest , hooked a little 3# sea bass straight out the back . This over maybe 5 min . Then it just went crazy with sea bass up to about 10# as fast as you could get back in the water and down to 30-35′ .
    Gramps Bill hooked up about a 6# and banged rod grip on the gunwale and bloodied up his finger shouting I’ll be that ugly stick will bend right up to the butt . Meanwhile If boated 4-5 bass the boys had gotten a couple more each in the boat too . I got a net under Grampa’s baited 2 hooks as they went by and got another skirt and calamari back on my own rod . Back into the water . By now we’ve had 30min of fast and furious hook and haul , Grampa Bills last hookup was the magic fish , that being that it was the fish that fell out of the 20 gallon wash tub . The boys were getting theirs in and Dad had just thrown in when the magic fish hit the floor and we got almost synchronized hits except that his was at maybe 20′ straight down and mine was on the swing arc about 60 down and 20 out . Dad got his in and I was working every oz of 10# . The 6.5′ Abu Garcia was bent over about about 110° and I’m following the tip trying to ease up on the rod a little and still keep the fish on , I don’t know for the life of me why the spool didn’t pop off that poor little Mitchell 300 . I finally get this fish up to where we can see the flash and the atta boys are just starting to break the net is in place and the flash is just gone and the line makes this run about 60′ in about a half a second . Zzzzzzzzzzzt-pop . That quick the 10# was bait and ate .
    I was in shock at first . Then I swear I heard Sheriff Brodie somewhere in the background say ” I think we’re going to need a bigger boat ” . That took care of about 95% of my desire to fish in the salt water , it of course spoiled me for anything related to trout fishing also . Now knowing that there are a gazillion catfish in Arkansas and whole ponds full of Crawfish I can eat myself silly and never have to miss saltwater ever again .

It was the last time I got to spend with Grampa and the only 4 generation trip we every did . X1 had fit because the boys were sneaking beer sips with their lunch , I asked if she had spent much time and tradition with her great grandparents …… Mom and Grandma Toppy shut her down pretty quick too . I did have to answer later on but it was pretty tame , I promised margaritas until she puked on New Year’s all was well.

Grampa passed about a yr later , I didn’t get the ugly stick . I did however get Daddy Hughes’s short/ice rod that was lost and recovered in the municipal resivoir for Honolulu along with his and Grampa’s Grainger fly rods and 2 Garcia’s that I’d fished with him when I was a pup . A copy of Lee Wolff’s fishing guide came along as well .

Anybody got a towel my phone’s all wet …..

bjornb 
    • Silver
    • ★★
    • Comments: 163
    • Overall: 176

I grew up in Norway and settled in Florida……the summers down here are just too much to handle and every June I head to Alaska. Used to stay in a B&B, but the owner passed on and I bought a small piece of land and had a prefab cabin trucked in. The cabin sits only a few minutes drive from the Kenai River, home of the world record King Salmon (caught on rod & reel), so most of the summer you’ll find me on the river in my little aluminum boat. 2016 was just a banner year for Kings; here’s my first one, landed on July 8:

WCM 
    Participant
    • Silver
    • ★★
    • Comments: 368
    • Overall: 398

The most fun I ever had fishing was hiking and fishing the lakes and back country of Yellowstone National Park with my family.
    It was a time when my kids were about thirteen or fourteen.
    We had a fifth wheeler and camped in Yellowstone for about two weeks each summer for six years.

Best memories of my life.

popper 
    Participant
    • Silver
    • ★★

That’s why they call them ‘King’. What the difference between Pike, Pickeral, and Musky? They are all versions of pike.
    Darn Harter, you bring back memories of my FIL. He was from Ne., loved to hunt pheasant & walleye. We went to Stockton the first year it was open to fishing. We got a few bass but a pro lent me 3 full chain stringers for photos (Polaroid) I could barely hold up. He & MIL went there and got many 35″ northern. Caught my first walleye there but was disappointed as they would bite, then float to the surface – no fight at all. I learned MIL never know how to drive the boat. I did get him down to Texhoma where he got a big black on a worm – which did a full twist & jump and tossed it – Bob was so happy, he’d seen that on TV and always wanted to get one. He always wanted to go get some musky from Milford but unfortunately that trip never happened, he had un-diagnosed cancer. Really miss him.

tomme boy 
    Participant
    • Bronze
    • Comments: 41
    • Overall: 42

tomme boy 
    Participant
    • Bronze

I love to catfish!. In the last couple of years I have moved from shooting every day to fishing. I still shoot but no where near as much as I used to. My health is limiting me from standing much so I sit in my boat instead. Most of these were all last year

kens 
    Participant
    • Gold
    • ★★★
    • Comments: 531
    • Overall: 587

Lots of nice catfish there. you guys do that noodling thing where you catch them underwater bare-handed??

Menner 
    Participant
    • Silver
    • ★★
    • Comments: 120
    • Overall: 124

Ok in the sprit of the one that got away!!!
    When I was down in Costa Rica Had a Great day I caught 3 Roosterfish all about the same size 35-40 Lbs on light tackle 7′ Med Action Spinning rod 20 Lbs Braid.
    Man those guys pull like a Truck good 20+ minute fight Got the 4th one hooked up don’t know how big he was I never seen him he spooled me before we could get the boat turned and chase him and I had the pressure on him had the drag all the way tighten down with my hand on the spool skirt trying to slow him down and he dumped the spool with a great big ole SPAP!!! at the end. Man I just wanted to see him.
    That’s one of the stories
    Tony

Menner 
    Participant
    • Silver
    • ★★

bjornb
    I have been to Norway twice in the mid 80’s Oslo and Trondheim, when I was in the Navy. Beautiful Country
    Hope to get up North one day to go after Salmon have not got there yet Great Fish
    Tony

tomme boy 
    Participant
    • Bronze

I mainly troll for the catfish. Just like the guys after walleye do. If you look in some of the pictures you can see the float that helps keep the cut up shad off the bottom. The last two pictures show the 3-way rig and I also use a rattle in front of the float. You wouldn’t think a rattle would work but it does. I had my butt handed to me one time by one of the pro staffers I know. We were fishing a local reservoir and he was catching 4 fish for my one. The only difference was he was using the rattles. Just to prove a point we switched sides on the boat and he still kept out fishing me.

When I finally switched is when we went one for one. We ended up with over 50 fish that day. All were over 6lbs. My largest to date is a 52lb flathead. That was before cameras on phones.

If you want to know more about the trolling, Look up WhiskerSeeker Catfish products. They have some awesome products. Oh and the 3-way rig is known as Santee Cooper Rig

Menner 
    Participant
    • Silver
    • ★★

Nice Fish Jimbo

Goodsteel 
    Keymaster
    • Gold
    • ★★★

Dat’s a beeg feesh!!!!

popper 
    Participant
    • Silver
    • ★★

My kid is better than me. Big ‘red’ from Venice and a 125# BT shark from Fl.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2017 Goodsteel Forum. Designed by Covalent Designs, LLC.