This topic contains 9 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  Harter 2 years, 8 months ago.

• Author
     kens 
    Participant
    • Gold
    • ★★★
    • Comments: 531
    • Overall: 587

Is this guy cocky or is he just that good ??

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=41AI0sJFwvw

Rattlesnake Charlie 
    Participant
    • Gold
    • ★★★
    • Comments: 679
    • Overall: 831

He may be good. I don’t know a thing about him. I don’t follow African big game hunting at all. I will saw that he does seem to puff himself up a bit.

uber7mm 
    Participant
    • Silver
    • ★★
    • Comments: 288
    • Overall: 305

Nice double gun, regardless.

Waksupi 
    Participant
    • Silver
    • ★★
    • Comments: 106
    • Overall: 112

Sullivan is pretty much despised by many hunters. Show boat, who will eventually get a client killed.

JPHolla 
    Participant
    • Silver
    • ★★
    • Comments: 120
    • Overall: 121

It’s hard to respect a “professional” who refers to cartridges as “bullets.”

Larry Gibson 
    Participant
    • Gold
    • ★★★
    • Comments: 506
    • Overall: 558
    • Gold

Waksupi;n14789 wrote: Sullivan is pretty much despised by many hunters. Show boat, who will eventually get a client killed.

Problem is…..he hasn’t yet in over 600 buffalo killed with clients……….Yes Sullivan is a legend in his own mind but he has earned that right. His guiding style is different than most PHs. Most who go to hunt Africa, especially buffalo, dream of “standing the charge” not shooting a bovine at 50+ yards like most hunters end up doing…….If you really want to “stand the charge”, if that’s what you really want to do then Mark Sullivan is the PH to get ahold of because he knows how to make it happen. Yet, as he says in that video, many others and in his presentations…..probably only about 5 out 100 wounded buffalo will charge. As he also states he prefers to walk up to a wounded buffalo and let the buffalo decide how it wants to die……pretty ballsy but Sullivan is a type A personality plus…….

As the him referring to cartridges as “bullets”…..most hunters do not reload. Most who do reload don’t use the correct terminology and vernacular. Of those that reload the number who cast bullets are even far fewer and many on these forums obviously don’t know the correct terminology and vernacular either……..thus the common vernacular among most hunters is to refer to cartridges as “bullets”. Just the way it is……..

Personally, I’d love to hunt Africa and if I did I’d prefer Mark Sullivan as a PH. I’ve watched so many videos and TV hunting programs where most all of the PHs have little real weaponscraft knowledge or ability. Sullivan not only has both but he s an excellent PH and it would be very entertaining around the fire at night with a sundowner or two listening to him……..

Larry Gibson

BTW; the way he says to handle the double rifle (weaponscraft) when walking up on buffalo is pretty much the proper way during CQB, especially inside a building, with a subgun, shotgun or rifle.

Goodsteel 
    Keymaster
    • Gold
    • ★★★
    • Comments: 2452
    • Overall: 2660

All I’ll say is I’ve been around a lot of men who are risk takers. Fighter pilots, bull riders, professional competitive shooters, etc etc. I expect a cocky attitude from these guys. They have to be the best in each situation, and it has nothing to do with whether they are gung ho or not. I prefer that to a guy who hoards the experience and won’t share it.
    i don’t mind a cocky attitude if it comes with a man who’s actually getting the job done. Heck, look at Bob Munden. That guy almost referred to himself in the third person, but then again, hardly anyone could best him with a sixgun.
    (shrug)

Harter 
    Participant
    • Gold
    • ★★★
    • Comments: 802
    • Overall: 875

Then there’s Jerry Mckilnick (SP).

Goodsteel 
    Keymaster
    • Gold
    • ★★★
    • Comments: 2452
    • Overall: 2660

Harter;n14822 wrote: Then there’s Jerry Mckilnick (SP).

Actually, I see Jerry Miculek as the exception. I’ve worked for several fellows who have shot with him, and they all say the same thing. “Hell do his best to help you beat him and you still can’t”. He is reported to be a very tough competitor (the very toughest) but he enjoys the sport and is willing to help ANYONE who is willing to listen. At least the guys I have spoken to had a very high opinion of him. All held the opinion that he was cut from more humble cloth than a fellow like Munden.

Harter 
    Participant
    • Gold
    • ★★★
    • Comments: 802
    • Overall: 875

I had the privilege of having dinner and drinks with some of those truly spectacular people World record holders , sport champions etc and there were more down home folks than the holier than thou sorts . The videos and shows I’ve seen of Jerry suggest that he is in fact one of them . R A Hoover was a fine Tennessee gentleman . Art Schol was a true master pilot and while he didn’t give up his technique he would tell you how to do it . I believe either of them would talk to fans and sign whatever was handed to them until they were horse or bleeding . Lyle Shelton was about as humble a class act as they come , but several times his championship racer sat bleeding to death until the Ag season was over so he could pull the Ag Wagon engine to get the race plane home .
    David Griggs was a very humble guy and not at all what you would expect from a Navy Rear Admiral and astronaut . He ran the arm when the shuttle retrieved a satellite from orbit .
    ​​​​​​

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2017 Goodsteel Forum. Designed by Covalent Designs, LLC.