Viewing 28 reply threads
  • Author
      bjornb
      • Silver
      • ★★
      • Comments: 163
      • Overall: 176

Tried to coat a few bullets tonight: Swirled them first in an empty Cool Whip container, dumped in a little Smoke4320 Zombie green, and baked the whole mess for 15 minutes at 400 degrees. The coating came out fairly even, but I think it looks thin. What say you pros? I’m a total newbie with this; did it once and seem to remember that the bullets got a thicker coat. They shot well at low speeds in a 44 Mag, so I wanted to try some of these for plinking in a 1911.

Thanks for all feedback.

Goodsteel
      Keymaster
      • Gold
      • ★★★
      • Comments: 2452
      • Overall: 2660

Looks perfect to me. The guy who taught me to PC was shooting bullets that looked like they had leprosy. Lots of little places that were so thin you could almost see the lead. However, they shot just fine with no issues.

VANN
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★
      • Comments: 123
      • Overall: 134

They’re fine, if you get too carried away the coating will get uneven which is worse than not enough. Even if you see a little shine here an there, normally they are still fully coated, the pigment is just a little bit thin.

Kevin S
      Participant
      • Bronze
      • Comments: 58
      • Overall: 72

They look just fine to me. Like Vann said even if you can see patches of lead the coating that keeps the bullet from leading is covering the clear spots.

bjornb
      • Silver
      • ★★

Thanks guys! I’ll load up a few and try them out!

IllinoisCoyoteHunter
      Participant
      • Bronze
      • Comments: 74
      • Overall: 81

Nothing wrong with those!!! Choot ’em!

Artful
      Participant
      • Gold
      • ★★★
      • Comments: 428
      • Overall: 615

I’m all for good looking but you need to sacrifice to the smash test – that’s the proof of construction!

bjornb
      • Silver
      • ★★

Artful;n1644 wrote: I’m all for good looking but you need to sacrifice to the smash test – that’s the proof of construction!

Fill me in Art……what do I smash?

Goodsteel
      Keymaster
      • Gold
      • ★★★

A BFH and a flat steel surface is required to do the ceremonial……….
      SMASH TEST!!!!!!

SMASH

SMASH

SMASH

SMASH

IllinoisCoyoteHunter
      Participant
      • Bronze
      • Overall: 81

With the dry tumble method had anyone ever had a coating not pass the smash test? If so I would be curious why it didn’t pass. Not baked long enough??

Maybe if I have time I will try different bake times to see how it affects the smash test.

Goodsteel
      Keymaster
      • Gold
      • ★★★

It’s just a right of passage. I’ve never seen one fail, but everybody has to do it at least once.

Smoke4320
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★
      • Comments: 140
      • Overall: 151

look just fine to me .. especially for a first time 🙂

popper
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★
      • Comments: 293
      • Overall: 294

Smash test is ‘right of passage’ for PC. The real test is Lee push thru sizing. Scratches and thin spots really mess up rifle HV shots.

Artful
      Participant
      • Gold
      • ★★★
      • Comments: 428
      • Overall: 615

smash one that you baked and make sure the bond is good and the coating doesn’t flake off.

bjornb
      • Silver
      • ★★

OK I think I got the hang of it. Starting out with a coffee can of machine cast 230 RNs I got for doing a favor for a friend:

I shucked and jived them around in a Cool Whip container (took me 3 small pies to eat the contents), then dumped in a small teaspoon powder and shook some more:

Now this was clearly not enough, but I think that applying the powder in 2 stages has given me better results, so I dumped in a little more and shook again:

This time the coating was very uniform, and I gave it 15 minutes at 400 degrees:

The smash test was attempted and went well:

Since I didn’t have a BFH handy I gave it 4 whacks with a SFH.
      Shot about 100 of them yesterday in my 1911, left the gun very clean and shot every bit as accurately as lubed bullets.

Anonymous
      Inactive
      • Bronze
      • Comments: 15
      • Overall: 15

Try a few less boolits in the container. I do not use the cool whip containers because I wanted screw on tops. Found some at the dollar store for $1.50 for three containers. Buy extra, rattling heavy boolits around will crack them. Seems like I get better results when the boolits are not piled too deep, I also use the airsoft bb’s in the container.

bjornb
      • Silver
      • ★★

Yeah I bought a bag of airsoft BBs from Smoke along with the powder. I’ll give that a whirl next batch.
      As for the plastic containers, I thought the Cool Whip tubs were made from some kind of magic plastic that induced static electricity better than others? Is this not true?

lead-1
      Participant
      • Bronze
      • Comments: 82
      • Overall: 90

I have tried Harbor Freight yellow on some 9mm that have little bald spots but work very good and leave no powder coating in the barrel.

Anonymous
      Inactive
      • Bronze
      • Comments: 15
      • Overall: 15

bjornb;n2992 wrote: Yeah I bought a bag of airsoft BBs from Smoke along with the powder. I’ll give that a whirl next batch.
      As for the plastic containers, I thought the Cool Whip tubs were made from some kind of magic plastic that induced static electricity better than others? Is this not true?

Any plastic container that has the number five rececling code will work.

kungfustyle
      Participant
      • Bronze
      • Comments: 22
      • Overall: 27

Biggest thing is humidity. If you are having a hard time getting the powder to stick go inside in the AC and try again. Works, and clean up after shooting is worth it alone.

farmerjim
      Participant
      • Bronze
      • Comments: 25
      • Overall: 25

That is the start of the test. For the full ultimate test, Make a cube out of it.

Doughty
      Participant
      • Bronze
      • Comments: 7
      • Overall: 7

I am starting to wonder if the smash test is the “right” test. When the bullet goes through the barrel, it gets smashed, kind of. Kind of a controlled smash. It does rub against the barrel. I tried a few simple tests of just rubbing a PCed bullet against various pieces of metal. It appeared that if it was rubbed against something that was polished as fine as a rifle barrel, the PC appeared to be polished also. However, as the surface began to roughen slightly, the PC came right off?? As I am begining to look more at barrel condition I think I am begining to see some things. When cleaning short, lower pressure/velocity barrels it is hard to find anything except some burnt gunpowder residue. As the barrel gets longer, I am feeling what seems like a dry rough condition. If I apply a slightly damp patch it immediately changes to a “normal” feeling. I have shot so few jacketed bullets in the last 25 years that I am not sure if I remember what feeling a barrel that has been shot with copper jackets feels like. I also have shot very few black powder cartridges. A friend who does shoot black powder though is constantly talking about keeping the barrel condition moist. ???? Is powder coating neither fish nor fowl (foul)??? Or both???

I put an already coated bullet in the oven and ran the temperature up to 350F, the hottest my oven will get. At this point the surface of the bullet was shiny and wet looking. When I probed it with a piece of steel, it was “gooie” and some stuck to the steel probe. I had heard that once PC had cured, that it wouldn’t get soft again. Was my test bullet not cured??? Did I have the wrong type of powder? Was what I had heard bad info?

Can it be that if there is burnt gunpowder residue in a barrel, and if a powder coated bullet is fired after, over, or into this condition that the barrel can become rough enough that it abraids the PC on the bullet, leaving some coating in the barrel? Can the heat in the barrel reach such a point that it can cause the PCed bullet to become soft and leave a residue in the barrel?

Is pressure what causes fouling to be left in a barrel or is it velocity?? Would a very heavy for caliber bullet moving in a barrel at the same velocity as a very light for caliber bullet leave more residue?

I am going to try to shoot some more PC tomorrow. Maybe some answers or just more questions?

badbob454
      Participant
      • Bronze
      • Comments: 46
      • Overall: 59

powder coating is one thing im not brave enough to try on my own, im afraid my boolits will melt or slump

Goodsteel
      Keymaster
      • Gold
      • ★★★

at 400 degrees? What are ya casting out of gallium? LOL!

Goodsteel
      Keymaster
      • Gold
      • ★★★

The smash test has nothing to do with shooting at all. It’s simply something that people started doing in teh very beginning to demonstrate how tough powder coat is, and it has been done by everybody ever since. I see it as a right of passage.

goody
      Participant
      • Bronze
      • Overall: 92

I only smashed one since I started over a year ago, now I need to enter into maturity by mashing some more!! I luv it.

Doughty
      Participant
      • Bronze
      • Comments: 7
      • Overall: 7

Yeah Tim, I get the “right of passage” thing. Was just letting my mind wander/wonder beyond that. Probably not a good thing to do with a keyboard in front of me.

popper
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★
      • Comments: 293
      • Overall: 294

Where do I send the graduation certificate? Makes for real good ‘venting’ also, like when you look at the news.

badbob454
      Participant
      • Bronze
      • Comments: 46
      • Overall: 59

i guess im afraid the top rack of boolits will get hotter than the rest of them and deform or slump like i said i wouldnt want to try them on my own i learned casting sizing making bens’ lube recipes liquid lube and bens red just dont want to try , if i could watch someone or read a write-up on the hows and do nots maaayyybbe… ha ha. mostly im satisfied with bens lubes and i am invested in them and they work..

Viewing 28 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2017 Goodsteel Forum. Designed by Covalent Designs, LLC.