Viewing 41 reply threads
  • Author
      Sgt. Mike
      Participant
      • Gold
      • ★★★
      • Comments: 789
      • Overall: 873

Ok outside personal satifaction, or talioring loads. Is it really worth it.
      I did a cost research reloading with new and reclaimed Shot for Ounce and eighth loads looks like 4.80 ish a box.
      Factory Remington Gun Club is 5.60ish

VANN
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★
      • Comments: 123
      • Overall: 134

I shoot B/P loaded shotshells for my cowboy shooting, so it’s mandatory. If you’re just shooting skeet every once in a while and only a box or two of shell’s once a year, not really.

I kept up with my empty primer boxes so I can keep track of how much I shoot. Last year I went through 3700 209 primers. When you consider that I’m reloading hulls that where given to me that adds up to a great savings.

If you keep up with your good hulls you can reload them upwards of 5 times or more, you savings will only get better from there.

Harter
      Participant
      • Gold
      • ★★★
      • Comments: 807
      • Overall: 883

I didn’t when I was able to buy steel shot for less than a buck over what I could load it for,but with it being back up over $12 it is becoming worthwhile again .

Smoke4320
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★
      • Comments: 140
      • Overall: 151

for the casual hunter target shooter
      std 12 GA and 20 ga bird or skeet load… no… buy them on sale and you will be way ahead.. No cost of equipment to purchase
      12/20 slug / buckshot or 16ga or 410 of any kind …yes you can load MUCH cheaper after recouping equipment costs

Artful
      Participant
      • Gold
      • ★★★
      • Comments: 428
      • Overall: 615

I was able to beat store pricing only when
      1) I was able to get reclaimed shot cheap from my local Trap club after they mined the field
      2) was buying powder in bulk cheap price per pound again at the local club
      3) I already owned the hulls and they were not tired so would (fold) crimp well.

Now a days I just buy them on sale at local big box of my choice.

451 whitworth
      Participant
      • Bronze
      • Comments: 14
      • Overall: 14

IMO it’s only worth it to load 10,16, & 28ga shells.

GhostHawk
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★
      • Comments: 258
      • Overall: 260

I don’t.

The only thing I have been doing is taking some cheap loaded shells, dump the birdshot, replace with buckshot, cut off the crimp, put it an overshot card, glue in place.
      And I don’t do many, but I like having 5 rounds or so on hand in my shell belt.

I am using a 30 cal sharpshooter mold. 5 stacks of 3 seems to work well and leave room for the card.

I have not bought shotgun shells in 20 years as I had a pretty good supply when I hung up my guns (when I got married)
      But I was in Walmart last week and they had federal field loads at 21$ and change for 100 rounds. 12 and 20, so I bought a 100 of each.

Sgt. Mike
      Participant
      • Gold
      • ★★★

Well,
      The wife and I hit a estate sale of a trap/skeet shooter, Picked up a Pacific DL-350 press complete ($30.00)
      Wads got 2 bags of 250 winchester AA still sealed for a dollar a bag.
      Several hundred Old Winchester AA Trap hulls for 3 dollars.
      Two (1000 ea) boxes of Remington Wads (one box was setup for paper hulls the old Green wads) for 8 dollars.
      Found a 15 Pound Powder can marked Red Dot that was a little over half full for 15.00 – Ed a buddy of mine was looking for this so I picked it up for him.
      Total cost of $58.00

Now if I can find a affordable source for shot … Maybe Vann will kick in here LOL

I’ll probably hoard the components for the next ammo shortage/run

Scharfschuetze
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★
      • Comments: 190
      • Overall: 193

As noted above, 12 and 20 gauge skeet and trap shells, due to economy of scale in production, will not save you much money when comparing factory and reloaded costs. 410, 28 and 16 gauges are a different matter though and you can enjoy pretty good saving when loading them.

Goodsteel
      Keymaster
      • Gold
      • ★★★
      • Comments: 2452
      • Overall: 2660

12 and 20 are slugs and buck only IMHO (and even then, you better cast your own).
      Any other hull is a no brainer. I’m working on 10 gauge right now. Take a look at the cost of those puppies! Cant even get skeet loads for them, it’s all boutique goose loads.

Couple years ago, I did some work on a Browning Sweet 16 for a guy and needed to test fire it. Cost of 16 will make you flinch.

Get a little whiplash from 28 gauge also.

VANN
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★

Cheapest new shot I can find is a toss up between Zip Metals and Roto Metals. I believe that Zip is just a bit cheaper for the imported Eagle brand, Lawrence shot adds about 10.00 to the price. I did find some pretty good reclaimed shot from Bad man’s bullets for around 32.50 per bag a year or so ago.

A local bullet casting business started up year before last and I though that would be a good local supply for shot, but after I opened the first bag I was disappointed. The pellets where not round and had pits in them. I’m sure that I can make shot at least as good as they make, so that’s my next priority.

Now back to if it’s worth it to load shotshells, yes 1oz 12ga loads are cheap and plentiful. High brass game loads are a different story, I believe that you will save money loading field and game loads.

Another good source for cheap shot would be the local skeet range, but most are hit and miss in my area, just like the local sporting goods stores. They all try to make twice what they paid for what ever you want.

lar45
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★
      • Comments: 224
      • Overall: 245

I’ve been playing with slug loads in the 12ga and there is a huge difference in them even if I only use the hulls once.
      I need to get a regular 12ga press so I can put a star crimp on instead of the roll crimp.
      I’ve loaded 4 000 buck in a 2.5″ 410 for the Judge and they are much cheaper than factory loads.
      For trap loads, I just buy it by the case or get it at Walmart.

popper
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★
      • Comments: 293
      • Overall: 294

For exotic or hi brass, maybe. I did give away 2 boxes of 20ga paper shells a few years back. New is $30/25. Even new shot is high here.

dverna
      Participant
      • Bronze
      • Comments: 81
      • Overall: 86

I shoot a lot of trap so it pays. One year I went through 800 boxes, so at a saving of $1.25/box that adds up. My favorite upland gun is a 28 ga and the savings there are substantial. My savings could be higher than most as I buy shot by the ton and wads by the case.

BTW, go to a local registered trap or skeet shoot to buy components

Anonymous
      Inactive
      • Bronze
      • Comments: 23
      • Overall: 24

Well, I load 12 gauge and 410, and if I didn’t reload 410 I couldn’t shoot much as I am retired and money is a little scarce. I stocked up on components and tools quite a while before I retired so that helped and I bought a used MEC press on line very cheap. The seller packed the press with almost a thousand Remington Gun Club once fired hulls, so I’m set there. I see the price of shot has gone up a bunch since I bought mine, so it looks like when I use what I have I will sell the presses and quit.

farmerjim
      Participant
      • Bronze
      • Comments: 25
      • Overall: 25

Factory shells will not pattern well in my 12 ga. I would reload my own at double the cost.

Sgt. Mike
      Participant
      • Gold
      • ★★★

chipmaker;n3889 wrote: Well, I load 12 gauge and 410, and if I didn’t reload 410 I couldn’t shoot much as I am retired and money is a little scarce. I stocked up on components and tools quite a while before I retired so that helped and I bought a used MEC press on line very cheap. The seller packed the press with almost a thousand Remington Gun Club once fired hulls, so I’m set there. I see the price of shot has gone up a bunch since I bought mine, so it looks like when I use what I have I will sell the presses and quit.

Chipmaker,
      Trying to get in the same boat as you are, in supplies and a fixed income.
      I have quite a few Win AA Hulls (the Old style marked Western and Win) a few AA wad and probably 1000 Remington fig 8 wads. A good supply of unique powder, and a pound of Red Dot.
      Even have some old paper hulled Federal Trap loads.

Only thing left to round up is shot and primers. Primers are easy peasy to get, Shot well is a differant story, sorry gents I’m flinching at 60ish a bag of 25 Pounds (I’m a cheapskate)
      Considered reclaimed shot, just I’m straddling the fence based on what some are saying elsewhere, poor performance and some claiming barrel damage (stratches)
      I have been watching Vann post in his shotmaker in hopes it works out. As I feel I could get a reliable source at a good price that he and I are both satisfied with.

Right now I have about 500 rounds of factory hoarded up consisting of Federal Winchester and Remington covering 7-1/2 and 8 shot.

Goals, easy Shoot Doves this upcoming year which means I have to spent a few thousand rounds on the skeet and Trap range to bring my shotgunning skills back up as doves are easy to kill.
      Hitting them on the other hand is something else. Those little bugger are fast LOL. Also I really do enjoy Skeet and Trap anyway.

I just might have to make friends at Lonake Remington plant to get some reasonable cost shot. Never been to the Remington Range there, have heard that they sell componets. cross yer finger for me guys.
      Tim offered me some 4 shot which is heavy for what I want ( 7 1/2 to 9) to load, but will help me learn the loading process.

Bottom Line is I’m still trying to figure out how to keep the cost down and reload versus buying factory, I might find savings if I shoot enough and don’t count my time at the bench which I usually don’t. As this is a hobby not employment.

Anonymous
      Inactive
      • Bronze
      • Comments: 23
      • Overall: 24

I hear you on the doves being easy to kill and hard to hit. I used to be pretty good, I could sometimes get three or four birds with a box of shells.

Sgt. Mike
      Participant
      • Gold
      • ★★★

Been bending Remington’s ears a bit on this…..

hummm maybe just maybe in the works still not cheap but more affordable.

Just what is everyone paying for shot in 7 1/2, 8, 9. ?

This is what will make or break it, shipping will be a limiting factor because I seriously doubt I can justifiy to my beloved wife why I need a half ton of lead shot, which I will have to haul ( no issue there my Ram truck will do it with ease). While she is very forgiving yeah that is quite a streatch even for her …..;)

Gander Mountain has it here for $59.00 without tax.
      Another gun shop does not carry it.
      I need to check one more place….

Chipmaker,
      Side note though take the loads to 3-1/4 to 3-1/2 Dram velocity loads (1300 plus FPS) = shorter leads on those buggers, but more deformation and scattering (looser pattern) than the 2-3/4 to 3 Dram loads. Get the shot down in size say 8 or 9 = more pellets in the air than the typical 7-1/2 load… Just saying …
      Now that I said that I will be doomed on my hunts from now on….. I will only get 1 bird per 25 shots LMAO …….

VANN
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★
      VANN
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★

http://www.badmanbullets.com/OnlineStore/proddetail.php?prod=Reclaimed-Lead-Shot-25-lb-Size-7.5 35.00 per bag reclaimed 7.5 will ship 2 bags in a box for 12.00.

I’ve bought this before it’s pretty good shot, clean, regraphited, and round.

Sgt. Mike
      Participant
      • Gold
      • ★★★

VANN;n4003 wrote: http://www.badmanbullets.com/OnlineStore/proddetail.php?prod=Reclaimed-Lead-Shot-25-lb-Size-7.5 35.00 per bag reclaimed 7.5 will ship 2 bags in a box for 12.00.

I’ve bought this before it’s pretty good shot, clean, regraphited, and round.

That is the best ad in the reclaim Shot that I have seen usually they will state there is rock or bits of foreign material present. there they say NONE….. I like that.
      If this Remington deal belly flops I will order from them at least a bag to try on the skeet range.

Scharfschuetze
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★
      • Comments: 190
      • Overall: 193

As an addendum to my original post on the economy of scale in production of 20 and 12 gauge shells, I just picked up two cases (20 boxes) of 12 gauge skeet loads at Cabellas yesterday. Cost for the two cases came out to $95.00 before tax. That’s $4.75 for a box of 25 or 0.19 cents a shot. I just can’t justify reloading for my twice weekly skeet shooting trips at that price when you compare that price to your time and components.

Sgt. Mike
      Participant
      • Gold
      • ★★★

Went back over my math durn it..

How the heck do the ammo makers do it??

This is per Box …………. NO time included as it is a hobby

Wads, .57 cents

Powder $ 2.75 ………………. figuring Unique at 35.00 pound and a charge of 22 grains for 3 Dram Equvilant

Primers $1.00

Reclaimed Shot 1-1/8 oz ( 2x $35.00 Plus $12.50 shipping) $2.91

Total $7.23

Maybe I should just slowly hoard componets and wait for the next ammo scare???

In this cost figuring the only saving grace I can see is if like Farmerjim says the factory stuff just does not pattern as well. Or Like I alluded to is a shortage of ammo.

Sgt. Mike
      Participant
      • Gold
      • ★★★

Scharfschuetze;n4010 wrote: As an addendum to my original post on the economy of scale in production of 20 and 12 gauge shells, I just picked up two cases (20 boxes) of 12 gauge skeet loads at Cabellas yesterday. Cost for the two cases came out to $95.00 before tax. That’s $4.75 for a box of 25 or 0.19 cents a shot. I just can’t justify reloading for my twice weekly skeet shooting trips at that price when you compare that price to your time and components.

Exactly my point Sir in orginally posting this thread.
      I have attempted every which way to figure a way to make the 12 ga reloads more affordable than factory… Nope 12 gauge is the new 22LR sold at a loss to bring in shooters to the sports.

The other gauges yeah I can see how to save on them such as 20/28/16/410 gauges

Wow just never thought I would see ammo sold for less than reloading.

Remington Gun Club here is 5.ish a box at Walmart for the not dedicated skeet / trap shooter. Winchester universal about the same money.

Just burns my soul to throw away perfectly usable once fired hulls LOL

VANN
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★

Don’t throw away the Gun Club hulls, they are twice as good as the new AA hulls. I’ve seen them sell for as high as .10 a piece.

Sgt. Mike
      Participant
      • Gold
      • ★★★

VANN;n4022 wrote: Don’t throw away the Gun Club hulls, they are twice as good as the new AA hulls. I’ve seen them sell for as high as .10 a piece.

😀
      wasn’t planning on it Vann.
      Now that I bought the reloader with ammo so cheap I guess it just sits LMAO. I don’t think shot will decrease in price so I’ll slowly build up that and primers in preparation of a ammo shortage.

dverna
      Participant
      • Bronze
      • Comments: 81
      • Overall: 86

Sgt Mikw, Unique is not a good powder choice. Promo is less expensive per lb and you use less. ($90/jug 17.5 gr). I buy magnum shot for $37/bag at trap and skeet shoots. My current cost for 1 1/8 oz loads is $4.38 per box. With 1 oz loads, which is all you need for practice, my reloads are $4.09

VANN
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★

dverna;n4064 wrote: Sgt Mikw, Unique is not a good powder choice. Promo is less expensive per lb and you use less. ($90/jug 17.5 gr). I buy magnum shot for $37/bag at trap and skeet shoots. My current cost for 1 1/8 oz loads is $4.38 per box. With 1 oz loads, which is all you need for practice, my reloads are $4.09

I agree completely with this, my load is 17.5 grs Promo with a Claybuster wad 1oz shot and a Noble Sport primer. I buy the primers by the sleeve @.02 a piece, 93.00 for my last 8# jug of Promo, and a bag of wads was 8.00 per 500. 36.00 for my shot

If you really want to stretch it you can get 500 rounds out a a 25lb bag of shot and one pound of promo by loading 3/4oz loads.

Sgt. Mike
      Participant
      • Gold
      • ★★★

dverna;n4064 wrote: Sgt Mikw, Unique is not a good powder choice. Promo is less expensive per lb and you use less. ($90/jug 17.5 gr)……

From the desk of Sgt. Mikw (guys I know typo I’m just having fun with it)

Why Unique??
      10 plus pounds in the cabinet I used it for the 45 Colt that I sold to Bjorn.
      I don’t use it for anything else…

16 grs of E3 and a ounce and eighth will pretty well equal the velocity of the Promo Load that you mention with several more pellets (dropping back to a oz of shot will save money too).

But yeah I do see where you and Vann are going with this it does make sense.

Why I’m I hung on the 1-1/8 oz shot ? because I’m too lazy to switch the bushing to a one oz LOL . (actually more shot in the load , until I get my skills built back up then switch to 1 ounce loads. and I just dont have the 1 oz Bushing ..yet)

Ya’ll suggestion caused me to look at the load data again another powder that I noticed was Extra-Lite in the same level with Promo,and E-3.

Thank you for the advice guys

Screwbolts
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★
      • Comments: 97
      • Overall: 101

Sargent, I made ver 200 pounds of shot last year and only because my wads and primer were bought 15 to 20 years ago can I load for close to what sale price shot shells are
      Now I also have buckshot and slug molds. With those I have some dandy 8 pellets 00 buck loads that will stay inside of 15″ @ 60 yards from full choked g7ns. Slugs, don’t beat my self up with those any more but I can equal anything store bought.

Ken

Sgt. Mike
      Participant
      • Gold
      • ★★★

Well just a update seems the Lead or should I say Shot fairy was kind to me today.

I came home from work there set a Heavy box at the door. The wife accuses me of buying lead and just spending money I insist I didn’t buy anything,,, my response fell on deaf ears.

I pick it up put it on the table open the package low and behold #8 shot I’m shocked .. thinking holy crap I owe some body some money but I didn’t order anything just talked about what they had to offer…. I study the zip code. And it dawns on me I know the zip code by heart I’ve been stationed there before, I call the only person that I keep in contact in from there on a regular basis.

Yep, Bjornb the Saint came through again, I just wanted to thank the man in public for being generous which is not uncommon for him ever since I have known him.
      I can say the same of Tim, Lars 45, Wright Arms, and Larry Gibson they have been generous with their time, resources, workmanship, and knowledge.

Truely a Fine outstanding collection of Gentlemen we have here.

W.R.Buchanan
      Participant
      • Bronze
      • Comments: 31
      • Overall: 33

Tim: nobody shoots Skeet with a 10 ga. that’s why there’s no Skeet ammo available.

And .410’s are as bad as 28’s price wise.

Randy

W.R.Buchanan
      Participant
      • Bronze

I have found the gun crowd to be honorable people for the most part. That’s why I hang around these places.

Randy

Floydboy
      Participant
      • Bronze
      • Comments: 1
      • Overall: 2

All of the above are correct. I am blessed with a wife and extended family that likes to shoot everything so consequently we do a lot of shooting. Especially bird hunting. Do we shoot lots of shells? Not by many of your standards but we use about 50# of shot a year. I reload shotgun because I enjoy shooting with my wife and neither of us like a lot of recoil. We both shot 12 Ga and I can make a very comfortable load for her that she isn’t afraid to shot. I don’t have to compromise performance to do this. The whole family shoots the same load. That is a huge reason to reload in my book.

Regarding cost. I can usually keep us in supplies by buying at estate sales and selling what I don’t need and keeping what I do. I will be making my own shot this year as soon as I run out of my factory made supply. When the scrap yard has lead/WW for sale in a large enough supply to cut a deal I buy all my truck or trailer will carry. Bring it home and smelt and sell enough to recoup my cost and keep the rest. It is a lot of work but I enjoy most of it. I’m to the point I think I have close to a lifetime supply of lead for us. I’m still hoarding but the pressure is off.

If none of what I’ve said applies to you or is something you would like to do then no it is not usually worth reloading 12 and 20 ga shells. There is a financial savings to load the other Gauges. How much would depend on how much you shot.

Floyd

Anonymous
      Inactive
      • Bronze
      • Comments: 7
      • Overall: 8

I have a lot of Older Shotshell equipment, ACME, Texan , Pacific, M200’s. and Other. When Cabellas, or The Other Place Run a sale. around Bird season. I stock up. . The cost does Not warrant any Loading. . I can Understand about 28 gage and 410. but all the other NO.
      FC

W.R.Buchanan
      Participant
      • Bronze

I use Reclaimed shot for my 12 ga loads and at the level I am at they work just fine. I bought a bunch of bags when I started shooting Trap and still have a bunch. When I got my .410 I had to get set up so I bought a Pacific DL266 in .410 which as far as I’m concerned is the best single stage loader ever made. I can easily do 6 boxes an hour without breaking a sweat, and the rounds are perfect. For loading 12’s I have a DL266, a DL366, a Dillon 900 and a Spolar. Spolar hopefully leaving soon as it is not needed. I use the 12ga 266 to load all my specialty rounds like my Pumpkin Ball loads for 3 gun matches. They are the same as my trap loads but with a 1/4″ felt wad and 69 cal round ball instead of the 1 1/8 oz shot load. They work great and don’t recoil any more than the normal trap loads do.

I had bought 1000 O/F .410 AA hulls off Trapshooters.com for .15 ea. and when it came to buy shot I was advised by them that knows to only use New #9 shot in the .410 so that you don’t run into bridges in the drop tube, That tube in the .410 machine is somewhat smaller than the larger gauges, and reclaimed shot can be a problem.

The whole reason I did this in the first place is because I had bought an 8 lb. jug of H110 powder for $50 a long time ago thinking I would burn it up in my .44’s. That didn’t happen, so in order to get rid of the powder I had to buy a $2000 shotgun and all the stuff to reload the ammo simply because at $12.50 a box I couldn’t afford to shoot the gun! …. Makes sense right?

Anyway with the current cost of shot it is hard to load 12 and 20’s economically and especially right before Dove Season when Walmart Sells boxes for about $4.50 a piece., and cases for $42.00

16’s, 28’s and .410’s are different story.and everyone I know who shoots those guns very much reloads his own ammo.

Randy

GhostHawk
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★

Happened to run across a Lyman easy loader in 12 ga at my local pawn shop, yeah it followed me home. Added to that George heard me express an interest in roll crimping and sent me an antique that does work and work well.

So I don’t really expect to pay the big bucks for 25# bags of shot. But I noticed that it seemed like the cost of slugs and buckshot was through the roof.
      Now I already had Sharpshooter buckshot molds in .30 and .22 caliber. So it was kind of a no brainer to buy the Lee 7/8ths oz drive key slug mold.

Well after I tore apart a box of cheap federal shells from Walmart I decided what the hey, lets do this right.

So I found some nice clear Fiochhi hulls, primed at 13 cents each. A good wad that runs me 3 cents each and works well with the 7/8ths oz slug and buckshot.

Well everything has arrived and I am just a casting reloading fool. Did I save money, no way. But looked at as cheap entertainment, wow, and the side benifit is I am stacking up boxes of buckshot, slugs, and today some round ball loads.

Will I come out ahead in the long run? Only if I need boxes and boxes of buckshot and slugs to fight a small war.
      Best of all I am enjoying myself, and it gives me new things to cast.

Goodsteel
      Keymaster
      • Gold
      • ★★★
      • Comments: 2452
      • Overall: 2660

I’ve found reloading 10 gauge buckshot and slugs to be a real money saver. Have you seen the price on those?!?!?
      I can’t find lead buckshot loads anywhere, and when I do find buckshot it’s bismuth or some such, and when you get done buying a box of 25 (hardly found a box of 25 for sale anywhere either) you know you been to the store!

I save reloading 12 gauge for the type of rounds I can’t buy, like round ball loads. Other than that, I’ve got better things to do with my time. Same goes for 20 gauge.

I could potentially see reloading 16 and 28 gauge.

WCM
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★
      • Comments: 368
      • Overall: 398

It is definitely worth it if you shoot a lot of .410’s or a 28 gauge.
      I not all that into shotguns, so I just buy what few I shoot.

Harter
      Participant
      • Gold
      • ★★★
      • Comments: 807
      • Overall: 883

I hit a sale today on 12 GA 1 1/8 oz of 7 1/2 in dove & quail loads , $4.89 /box . I can’t buy the shot, wads and primers for that price .

I bought a case of Win steel shot about a month ago at $11 /box . Paying the shipping on shot it was worth it as there is only about $2 / difference .
      ​​​​

GhostHawk
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★

Yep finished my first box, all buckshot slugs and punkin balls.

From what I have seen it is 6-8$ per box of 5 and that is the low end stuff.

Been busy this week running my sharpshooter molds making buckshot.

Viewing 41 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2017 Goodsteel Forum. Designed by Covalent Designs, LLC.