This topic contains 7 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  Grmps 1 week, 2 days ago.

• Author
     redriverhunter 
    Participant
    • Bronze
    • Comments: 20
    • Overall: 41

today I was working on a ladder test with some Barnes 165 gn ttsx and was wondering which way to proceed

load h4895.   1=38  2=38.5  3=39  4=39.5  5=40  6=40.5  7=41  the measurement on the target are A=1/2

B=2 1/4   C=2 1/2. The C.O.A.L. was 2.735.

All shots had 5 minutes between them.

I have never had a ladder test go this good first time so what I am wonder how to proceed from here. thoughts are 1) do the exact same test again 2) take the average on the 1-4 and shoot a group of three a and see what happens  3) as per Barnes data 42.1 is the max load. Do some more ladder testing starting at 41.1 at .2 gn increments until I get to 41.1. I would be grateful for thoughts and opinions.  thanks you in advance rrh

redriverhunter 
    Participant
    • Bronze

popper 
    Participant
    • Silver
    • ★★
    • Comments: 261
    • Overall: 262

308W- what distance?  Assume the vert is load related, looking for the ‘node’.  Try 3,4 & 6,7 with more shots.  See what your ‘cone of fire’ is.

Glenn 
    Participant
    • Silver
    • ★★
    • Comments: 122
    • Overall: 137

I agree,  the loads 6 &7 looks like a place to start as long as you’re not getting any pressure signs.

If it was me, I’d load 5 each of the 6 and 7 and see what it looks like.

I think Barnes recommends that you seat to at least 20 thou off of the lands. I loaded a bunch of the 165TTSX for my 300 win mag this year and 20 thou shot great for me.

redriverhunter 
    Participant
    • Bronze

yes it is a 308 win. and it was at hundred yards

Artful 
    Participant
    • Gold
    • ★★★
    • Comments: 386
    • Overall: 541

I like a little further out like 300 for a ladder test and I generally shoot 5-10 rounds, as it gives a much clearer idea of loads performance.

uber7mm 
    Participant
    • Silver
    • ★★
    • Comments: 273
    • Overall: 286

Dan Newberry has done a lot of work on Optimal Charge Weights.  Like what Artful has suggested, Dan’s approach is  shooting multiple groups then compare the size of the groups.

This web page might be helpful:

http://optimalchargeweight.embarqspace.com/#

Grmps 
    Participant
    • Bronze
    • Comments: 16
    • Overall: 18

Good first go on a ladder test, in a pinch all would get the job done.

+1 -w- Glen & Artful I believe your ladder test would be more accurate/conclusive if you shot 6 to 10 cartridges @ each powder charge.

You can flinch/pull/breathe… for 1 or 2 shots and get faulty data but 6-10 will show you a more accurate grouping.

What you are looking for is a tight grouping, not so much hitting the BE, that can be easily adjusted.

If you were going only off that single round test then I would go  40.4 grn

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2017 Goodsteel Forum. Designed by Covalent Designs, LLC.

or

or    

Forgot your details?

or

Create Account

If you have any questions or comments, please contact us by clicking the button below.

Contact Us