Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      ZmanWakeForest
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★
      • Comments: 115
      • Overall: 135

I know I may be late to the party as usual, but does any of you have personal experience with this Belted Magnum Collet Resizing Die from Larry Willis at Innovative Technologies? Good, Bad,etc, etc. There is some information out there, but more looking for first hand experience with the die from someone on the board….

I know it’s $100 bucks, and I would prefer not to turn this post into a price point conversation. Let’s be honest, if you have been reloading Magnum Belted cases (Weatherby’s and the like) you want/need that brass to be as functional for as long as possible. And another point, although this may not be a shared mindset with some folks on the board, IMHO if I are going to run a belted magnum caliber, I see no need NOT to run it as “hot” as humanly possible without compromising accuracy.

More of a feeler for product performance more than anything else…..

http://www.larrywillis.com

Copied from the website….

Belted magnum cartridges have been around for over 50 years, and most shooters that reload them are familiar with the case bulge problem that occurs “just above” the belt. This usually happens after just 2 or 3 firings – wasting perfectly good cases. Many shooters have discovered this problem when they find their handloads begin to stick in their chamber, or when they no longer chamber at all.

Unlike non-belted cases, the belt prevents conventional full length dies from traveling far enough down the case. This limits the amount of resizing, and brass is plowed rearward. The brass builds up just above the belt at each reloading, and cases expand. Neck sizing dies don’t bump the shoulder back or resize the tapered case wall. The best solution is to full length resize accurately, and use this collet die to reduce case width.

Our patented Belted Magnum Collet Resizing Die solves this problem and has other unique features. The top of this die is a case width gauge that shows when a little “extra” case resizing is required. This resizing die is used to eliminate the case bulge above the belt, after using your full length (or) neck sizing die. Our collet die ensures that your belted magnum ammo will always chamber properly and your cases are now able to last for up to 20 firings, even when using the hottest handloads. Our resizing die uses a collet that fits over the cartridge case, until it bottoms against the belt. The case is then pressed into the sizing die. The collet allows your case to go farther into the die where it only reduces the area “just above” the belt.

This ONE die and collet is universal and works on ALL of the popular belted magnum calibers including: .257 Weatherby Magnum, 6.5 Remington Magnum, .264 Winchester Magnum, .270 Weatherby Magnum, 7 x 61 Sharpe & Hart, 7mm Remington Magnum, 7mm Weatherby Magnum, 7mm STW, .300 H&H Magnum, .300 Winchester Magnum, .300 Weatherby Magnum, .308 Norma Magnum, 8mm Remington Magnum, .338 Winchester Magnum, .340 Weatherby Magnum, .350 Remington Magnum, .358 Norma Magnum, .375 H&H Magnum, .416 Remington Magnum, .458 Winchester Magnum, .458 Lott Magnum and several belted wildcat cartridges. There are no extra collets to buy when resizing different calibers. The U.S. Secret Service was one of our first customers to purchase this product.

There are now almost 5,000 shooters using our unique collet die. In the past, the high cost of manufacturing this die required us to build a waiting list before starting the next production run.

Goodsteel
      Keymaster
      • Gold
      • ★★★
      • Comments: 2452
      • Overall: 2660

I have not used it, and brass fired from a properly cut chamber has shown me no signs of this “Build up of brass” around the belt. Considering that a 300 Winmag is a 1200 round barrel burner along with any other of its ilk, 300 cases will use up a barrel with only 4 firings each, and I WANT that brass to move as little as possible down by the belt where it can’t be annealed.

Belted Magnum = high performance.
      Most do not get their money’s worth out of that performance and blow all of it’s 1400 yard capability into a 100-200 yard berm and it doesn’t matter.
      Those who are utilizing the performance they are paying for are dropping $60 into a jar every time they finish off 100 primers, and they don’t mind giving brass the boot after 3-4 firings, and they are honing their dies for the perfect fit anyway. If it can cost them points at long range, they’ll have no part of it.

Basically, I see no point in spending $100 to burn a barrel with 200 pieces of brass rather than 300.
      That’s my 2cents

bjornb
      • Silver
      • ★★
      • Comments: 163
      • Overall: 176

I may be the odd man out here. Last year, before a planned Montana elk hunt, I bought a Tikka T3 in 338 Win Mag (the land owner required hunters on his land to use magnum rifles). Along with dies and bullets (I had plenty of 7mm Rem Mag brass to convert), I bought the Larry Willis belted mag die. I ran all my once fired brass through the die after necking up, and for what it’s worth, a little more than half required a pretty good tug on the press handle to resize all the way down to the belt. Does it matter in the long run? Does it give your brass longer life? No clue there, but I figured it couldn’t hurt.

I also have the headspace indicator from Larry Willis, and that’s a reloading tool I truly love. With the capability of showing shoulder setback in .0001″, it’s a tool I use every time I set up for FL resizing (or shoulder bump with a body die). Worth every penny.

ZmanWakeForest
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★
      • Comments: 115
      • Overall: 135

Bjornb that answers one of my questions I had….whether or not it actually sized completely to the belt! Guess, I’m going to have to try!

I also looked at the headspace indicator online. It looked awesome! Maybe a combo shipment to NC soon….

Thanks for the input!

JPHolla
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★
      • Comments: 120
      • Overall: 121

I never could understand on what they based the assertion that the belt prevents the die from sizing brass right in front of it. Possibly some thousandths, but not much. Are some dies machined with a huge gap in front of the belt? Why is there no version for rimmed cases? Shouldn’t they need it even more? I’ve loaded 300wby pretty hot and never had an issue with standard dies. Loading to max is going to take it’s toll pretty quick, anyway.

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2017 Goodsteel Forum. Designed by Covalent Designs, LLC.