Viewing 10 reply threads
  • Author
      Anonymous
      Inactive
      • Silver
      • ★★
      • Comments: 109
      • Overall: 143

I came into a stash of powder and many other items from an old reloader that passed away. Family just wanted it hauled away. About 40 lbs of powder, 10,000 primers, lead sled, various presses and powder measures. Lots of jacketed bullets etc. Most of the powders are familiar to me and I have either used in the past or am using them at present. The only one I am not familiar with is SR 4759. Have a unopened 8 lber of that. What are the best uses. I load for pretty much all pistol calibers, rifle are 223, 6.5 Jap, 7.7 Jap, 308 win, 30/06, 30-30, 30/40 Krag, 270 Win, 303 British,
      7mm Rem mag, and probably a few I can’t think of off hand. Any advice on the best use of this stuff. I know it has been discontinued for a few years and some are sorry it has gone to the dust bin but I have no experience with it at all.

lar45
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★
      • Comments: 224
      • Overall: 245

It won’t work for anything you have listed. You should put it in a box and ship by truck to me.
      8# of 4759!!! Wow, I wish we were neighbors. I shoots great in my 45-70s. I’m down to 1#

Screwbolts
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★
      • Comments: 97
      • Overall: 101

^ ^ as a generous person, I would even pay the shipping for you to send it to me for proper disposal.

Ken

Goodsteel
      Keymaster
      • Gold
      • ★★★
      • Comments: 2452
      • Overall: 2660

4759, is THE #1 CAST BULLET SHOOTERS POWDER OF ALL TIME.

uber7mm
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★
      • Comments: 288
      • Overall: 305

Yes, SR-4759 (SR=Small Rifle) was developed for replicating “standard” recoil in a reduced load. It works extremely well in cast bullet loads. A bulky powder, SR-4759 use to come in 8 oz to the standard jar, IIRC correctly. The price was about half a standard pound jar. I saw some for sale in a “Black Rifle” gun shop earlier this month. It was priced at about $32; so times have changed. I had several of loads worked up in that powder, and perhaps a handful of cartridges left. Any of your WWI-WWII rifles pushing cast would be worth load development.

Scharfschuetze
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★
      • Comments: 190
      • Overall: 193

What everyone said above.

Think of SR 4759 as a bulky IMR 4198. That will give you a good idea of your potential uses for it.

It has been removed from production so what’s out there is what is left. You are a very luck man. As noted above, it is the cast bullet powder of choice.

Anonymous
      Inactive
      • Silver
      • ★★
      • Comments: 109
      • Overall: 143

Your replies are good news. I shoot cast in all my rifles and pistols. Nice to know I have an alternative to what I am using now. I am running low on 4198 so this will work out well. Thanks for the input.

Jay

uber7mm
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★
      • Comments: 288
      • Overall: 305

The Lyman 3rd, 47th & 48th Reloading manuals have data published on most cast cartridges in SR-4759. The Speer #10 has reduced loads for jacketed bullets for that powder as well. Enjoy!

Sgt. Mike
      Participant
      • Gold
      • ★★★
      • Comments: 789
      • Overall: 873

works absolutely great in every 30-06 I’ve ran it through. Lucky you 8 pounds woohoo glad to see some good fortune fall on a member on here

in the 150-168 gr cast start at 20 grs and work up till accuracy falls off.

Screwbolts
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★
      • Comments: 97
      • Overall: 101

As I understand it SR 4759 was developed for use at the Springfield Armory. The armory only had a 200 yard underground range and wanted to test the performance of bullets at extended ranges or simply put at velocity impact speeds of extended ranges utilizing their 200 yard range. example 600 yard impacts. Dupont came up with SR 4759 for them, a powder that gave consistent ballistic performance at reduced loadings. This allowed the Armory to test simulated long range bullet impact on there 200 yard range. They needed a powder that could be loaded in 30-06 rounds to simulate the bullet speed of impact at longer ranges than 200 yards but utilizing their 200 yard range. IMHO, Because of this consistent performance of reduced loads it is an Ideal powder for much of our cast bullet shooting.

The Late Frank Marshal wrote much about this powder, his favorite load in his M70 30-06 bull gun was 21 gr of SR4759 and a long lean 311284.

I have found that 18 gr in any 30 cal case is a pleasant and accurate load to start with for gas checked boolitz. 15 gr in a 30/30 with a PB 170 gr boolit gives me 1500 fps out of my bolt rifle.

IMR SR4759 is also on of the preferred powders in the Smokeless Muzzleloader world. That is because it is easy to light and burns consistently at reduced pressures.

I have always tried to keep 16 pounds of it on hand. I do hope they bring it back to production.

Ken

Rattlesnake Charlie
      Participant
      • Gold
      • ★★★
      • Comments: 679
      • Overall: 831

I don’t believe we will ever see this powder return. Part of the puzzle is that powder manufacturers are under pressure to reduce toxic waste, and the process to manufacture many powders does not allow this. Note how many new powders coming on the market tout eco friendly manufacturing processes.

Viewing 10 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2017 Goodsteel Forum. Designed by Covalent Designs, LLC.