Viewing 7 reply threads
  • Author
      mountain4don
      Participant
      • Bronze
      • Comments: 39
      • Overall: 50

I purchased from eBay what is apparently an “Ideal No. 3 Special” reloading tool, complete with the rod that was used to extract primers from a fired case. The tool is for a 32-40 M (Winchester) cartridge that I used for the first time this year deer hunting, killing three deer with it loaded with an RCBS 32-170GC cast bullet over 26.5 grains of IMR-3031 in converted 30-30 cases loaded with conventional Lee dies mounted in a Hornady 00-7 press. The Ideal tool appeared on eBay and on a whim thought it would be interesting to try reloading with one, so I bought it. The depriming shaft has a screw in the side of it up near the end where the primer extraction pin used to be, but now is either missing or broken off. Does anybody here know how to replace this pin and what might be used for the pin itself? I haven’t tried taking out the screw yet, waiting for some wisdom from a more experienced person.

skeettx
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★
      • Comments: 197
      • Overall: 213

These like it??
      http://ps-2.kev009.com/ohlandl/310/310op/ideal_3.htm

You saying the what is missing or broken?

mountain4don
      Participant
      • Bronze

skeettx;n12270 wrote: These like it??
      http://ps-2.kev009.com/ohlandl/310/310op/ideal_3.htm

You saying the what is missing or broken?

Mine does look similar to the ones you show, but with the single adjustable chamber like in the photograph with the three displayed and mine being the one in the center. And the decapping part that slides into the die on the inside is a straight rod that has one end tapered for about 3/8″ and the other end has an 1/8″ or smaller hole drilled into it from the end, and a screw set into the side of the rod about 1/4″ in from the end. I have not tried taking out the screw yet but it goes all the way through the rod as I can see the tip of the screw flush from the other side. So, I don’t know if its just a stop for a decapping pin that I am missing or if it actually clamps the decapping pin in place or what. But I can see down into the drilled hole where the decapping pin is missing. When the decapping rod is in place the taper on the one end fits against the taper inside the screw on die, and I can position the other end flush with the handle so I assume I can place it inside of a 32-40 Win case and it will push the primer out if the pin was in place.

Larry Gibson
      Participant
      • Gold
      • ★★★
      • Comments: 507
      • Overall: 562
      • Gold

Sounds a home made replacement. I’d give it a try as it appears to fit correctly.

Larry Gibson

mountain4don
      Participant
      • Bronze

On the website given above, I scrolled down the pages for the different Ideal reloading tools to the NO. 7, http://ps-2.kev009.com/ohlandl/310/310op/ideal_7.htm
      And on the picture for the last one on the bottom of that page there is a decapping tool very much like what I have, only its larger in diameter to fit the 44 X.L. Shot cartridge than the one I have. But it shows the tapered end, and the decapping pin in place, and the screw through the side like mine has. So, will a modern Lyman decapping pin fit it? And what does the screw do? Or could I take an old drill bit of the correct diameter and grind it off to the correct length?

skeettx
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★
      • Comments: 197
      • Overall: 213

Yes, a drill bit would work
      Mike

mountain4don
      Participant
      • Bronze

So, do you have any idea what the screw through the side was for? Is it just a stop for the decapping pin? Or did it clamp the decapping pin in place somehow? Ok, I answered my own question by grinding a screwdriver to the correct size and taking the screw out. The missing decapping pin comes in through the end hole and is held in place by the head of the screw. So it looks like a #50 or #51 drill shaft will fit the hole and replace the missing decapping pin.

mountain4don
      Participant
      • Bronze

Ok, I purchased a #51 drill bit as it just fit in the hole on the flat end of the decapping rod, and took the screw out and cut the drill bit off so there was a little less than 1/2″ protrusion. And put the screw back in and it clamped the piece of drill bit in place. So, now that I have a complete Ideal reloading tool with adjustable die for reloading my 32-40 WIN cases, how do I use it? Where might I find instructions for its use? Of course I can guess at things, but it would be nice to have an actual detailed set of instructions for it.

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2017 Goodsteel Forum. Designed by Covalent Designs, LLC.