• This topic has 16 replies, 1 voice, and was last updated 4 years ago by WCM.
Viewing 16 reply threads
  • Author
      Goodsteel
      Keymaster
      • Gold
      • ★★★
      • Comments: 2452
      • Overall: 2660

This is what I wrote, and I just thought I would share it with the forum.

Dear sir,
      My name is Tim Malcolm and I am a custom gunsmith in Conway Arkansas.
      I recently expressed a desire to make contact with Ruger to voice my praise, satisfaction, and suggestions on gaps that could be filled in the product line. I was told this is the place to do so.
      First, I would like to give a very strong word of praise for the “little big things” you do that makes Ruger unique and absolutely head and shoulders over any other American firearm manufacturer in my opinion.
      First, and foremost, your commitment to customer service is commendable. There is no other brand that I recommend to my clients more than Ruger, simply because you have given me the ability to look my clients in the eye and tell them without blinking that a Ruger firearm is the last one they will ever have to buy and “If you EVER get a click instead of a bang, you need only contact Ruger and they will take care of you swiftly and satisfactorily. I PROMISE this is so” and I do not give my word lightly.
      I am a practicing gunsmith, but because of the wonderful service at Ruger, I do not repair Ruger firearms.
      The first experience I had with Ruger CS was when a client brought me an original Ruger pistol manufactured in 1954. The upper receiver was so loose on the frame, is was a rattle trap. I called Ruger, and 6 days after I dropped it in the mail, the pistol was returned. It was repaired, test fired, cleaned, and there was a letter thanking me for being a loyal Ruger customer. Charge? $0.00
      I will not go into every single story my clients have told me about similar experiences, but suffice it to say the results were the same.
      This is the sort of thing that wins customer loyalty, and it has endeared Ruger to me above anything else, and I daresay my personal firearm collection reflects the Ruger Phoenix in a prominent way.

However, I was not always a fan of Ruger rifles. The handguns have been stellar from day one, but I am primarily a rifleman, and Ruger’s general reputation for accuracy left much to be desired (in my experience). Also, the 44 magnum cartridge in a rifle is a sticking point with me, and Ruger played the “me too” card when they introduced their 44Magnum Carbine with a 1-38 twist that would barely stabilize pistol bullets at 75 yards (although Ruger did fix it’s all too obvious blunder when they reintroduced that rifle on the mini-14 frame with a 1-20 twist rate). It’s a well known ballistic blunder, and one that any practical ballistician would not make, yet Ruger did, and their rifle was known as a 50 yard gun which begs the question: why not stick with the Blackhawk and shoot accurately to 100 yards or further?
      This brings me to my secondary points of praise in that the general accuracy of Ruger rifles has undergone a dramatic change in the last 5 years for certain. Ten years ago, I would just shrug when I saw a fellow at the range with his brand new M77 that wouldn’t shoot 4″ for 5 shots.
      However, these days, I am not surprised at all to find a Ruger that will shoot sub 1.5 MOA.

The first time I noticed this uptick in the accuracy dept was with the Ruger Gunsight Carbine. I was asked to sight in a left handed model for a client. I was impressed by the sharp checkering and the obvious Ruger attention to detail, but my stomach turned at the thought of once again putting the crosshairs in the middle of the shotgun pattern and feeling like a heal for “sighting in” a rifle for a client when I couldn’t even pretend he could hit his mark at long range. However, when I snapped the wonderful plastic magazine into the Gunsight rifle, the first ten shot group measured less than 1.5″!!! Imagine my surprise and excitement!!!
      I remember distinctly telling my client that he had a very special rifle, and that most do not shoot that well, but as it turned out, I was wrong. As reports of these rifles accuracy came pouring in with the average ten shot group measuring 1.5″ I was convinced that something wonderful had happened at Ruger. Perhaps they slowed down the hammer forge? Took a harder look at QC? Whatever it is, it worked, and I can happily recommend modern Ruger rifles knowing that they actually shoot very well.

Speaking of which, and returning to the point of the 44 Magnum rifle issue, I was recently contacted by a client asking me what twist rate was used in the new Ruger #1 rifle. Lipseys advertises 1-20 which my client was very excited about, only to look on the Ruger websight and find the barrel twist called out as 1-38. I told him I would get to the bottom of this issue and give him an answer. I called Lipseys and they informed me that they got their information from Ruger engineering directly. I then called Ruger CS and asked the same questions. At first, I was given the canned answer by an associate who obviously looked on the website. I explained my issue to him, and he took the time to put me on hold and talk to someone who actually knew the answer. When he came back on the line he apologized and informed me that the website was wrong, and that Ruger was actually using a 1-20 twist rate on their only 44 Magnum rifle offering. I told him that needed to be changed ASAP if they want to sell more of these rifles, and I was pleased to see the site changed the next day. That’s solid service my friend!

I would like to conclude this letter with some praises and recommendations for specific products that I and my clients have used and had positive experience with/desire to see Ruger produce.

1. The Gunsight Carbine. Well done. Very well done. This is an excellent rifle, and not because of the “scout” look of it. It’s simply the finest American made, mass produced receiver on the market in my opinion. The threads are concentric with the races, the firing pin strikes in the center, and the tolerance between the bolt and the receiver is delicious. I actually built a custom rifle on one of these by simply adding a matchgrade barrel, bedding it, and relieving the barrel channel. The rifle will print 1/2MOA ten shot groups on demand, and that reflects solidly on the quality of the rifle receiver and its stock interface.
      2. The SR and LC pistol line. You are protecting America with solid firearms that run like a sewing machine. I bought an LCP for myself just to see what gives with this little gun. I carried it loaded for a month, then pulled it out and emptied it like my life depended on it. Dust and lint flew everywhere, but it did not miss a lick. I reloaded it and carried it for another 2 months without cleaning it, and repeated the performance without a hitch, after which, I ran 3 boxes of ammo through it hard and fast. Not a hitch, hiccough, hangup, or failure of any kind. That’s amazing.
      3. The American rifle. Amazing accuracy for a rifle so light. Excellent hunting trigger. Very competitive rifle and much better made, compared to similar offerings from competitors. Well Done!!!
      4. Ruger’s AR-15. Thank you for this. Brilliant!!!
      5. The 1911. Perfect firearm, and this is something that I have wished for for years “I wish Ruger would make a rock solid 1911 style pistol because that would be the best pistol company, with the best warranty, making the best pistol design.” Wish granted!!!!

I could go on and on, as I think nearly every product you make is a home run, however I have a few suggestions if you would permit me:

1. Watch the trigger pull on the Mark III style pistols. 8 pounds is a bit like making a bicycle with a piece of PVC pipe for a handle bar: ie it must be replaced to be really used and enjoyed.
      2. There is a huge opening in the market right now for quality lever guns that shoot the typical rifle cartridges, and also pistol cartridges. The American shooter is a discriminating consumer and certain events have left a vacuum in the lever gun market that we hope would be filled by a company we trust. A quick search for a QUALITY 44Magnum levergun in the CORRECT twist rate will show exactly what I mean. It only exists in very specific vintage firearms.
      3. America needs and wants a reliable, accurate, semi-autmatic 308 that is neither an M1A knockoff, nor an AR style. The hole left by the Winchester 100 is still gaping and Americans are ready to spend money on these things. We don’t want to look like we are going to war in the deer woods, but at the same time, if war comes to us, we would like to have something that would get the job done. I hope you linger on this last suggestion the longest.

Again, thank you for being the best. Thank you for thinking about your customer base, and protecting us from the trouble in all forms. Thank you for being Americans and NEVER compromising your standards and the way your company is run. Thank you for improving and listening to your customer base of which I am only one.
      Sincerely,

Tim Malcolm / Malcolm Ballistic Tool

479-445-3989
      427 Clinton Road
      Conway Arkansas

Harter
      Participant
      • Gold
      • ★★★
      • Comments: 807
      • Overall: 883

I want one ……wait what am I buying?

Good letter , knowing you first hand that is high praise of a product line. Bill would be pleased with so happy a customer.

Goodsteel
      Keymaster
      • Gold
      • ★★★

How could I not be happy? They have focused on improving, and they focused with laser precision on the areas that drove me nuts for so many years. There’s very little I can complain about right now. The pessimist in me says that since they are doing so well, they must be about ready to light their hair on fire and beat it out with a golf shoe, but as it stands right now, I have a deep love for this company, and I want to support them for doing us right.

I just called and told them about the 1973 357 Blackhawk I inherited from my late uncle’s estate. It’s been shot fifty go-zillion times and the hammer hitches sometimes when it’s being thumbed back after firing a previous shot. Part of that is the Cylinder pin that jumps out at the slightest encouragement which allows the transfer bar to catch the firing pin, but it does it even when I am careful to keep the pin seated before every shot.
      The guy looked up the serial number, and emailed me a Fedex shipping label. I expect to have a revolver that runs like new in a couple weeks.

Things like this are why Ruger is my favorite, along with an absolute absence of elitist, bureaucratic, snotty customer service on the other end of the line such as I have experienced from Colt and Sig Saur.
      If it has the rising Phoenix on it, you’ll get a cheerful, helpful, educated person, who will make sure your firearm runs as advertised.

WCM
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★
      • Comments: 368
      • Overall: 398

I have had a bad experience with Remington custom service but never with Ruger or Leupold.
      I just sent my Freedom Arms .454 cylinder back to Freedom Wy about a week ago .
      Today I got it back .
      The gunsmith told me if I had an older revolver to send it in and they would hone the chambers so it will shoot cast bullet without leading the barrel.

Fast work and no charge.
      Plus I mentioned those dreaded words (CAST BULLETS) and they were willing to accommodate me.

Very rare in this day and time.

Goodsteel
      Keymaster
      • Gold
      • ★★★

Businesses like that are who I like to patronize.

Artful
      Participant
      • Gold
      • ★★★
      • Comments: 428
      • Overall: 615

I want to try one of their precision rifles – very interesting concept

Goodsteel
      Keymaster
      • Gold
      • ★★★

I know nothing of the load, but I personally witnessed a subMOA group being shot at the range by one hombre.
      The Ruger Precision Rifle is a brilliant move. It’s exactly what people have wished they could have, at a cost they can afford. Ruger has devoted a good bit of its focus toward that one rifle, and they are cranking them out like lays potato chips, yet they fall further behind. That means that I’m not the only one who watched a fellow punch a competitive group with the Ruger chassis rifle.

timspawn
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★
      • Comments: 137
      • Overall: 166

I have had fantastic results with Ruger CS from a Single Six up to and including the AC556. They are amazing, fast and the cost, if any, is very reasonable.

WCM
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★

It wasn’t long ago that some people on the other forum posted about what crap guns the new Rugers are.
      Of course they weren’t exactly mental wizards ..

I like all my Rugers.
      I always look forward to what they come out with each year.

Harter
      Participant
      • Gold
      • ★★★
      • Comments: 807
      • Overall: 883

I have 3 . With this sort of praise I may just send off the P series DA with the damaged hammer drop lever.

Goodsteel
      Keymaster
      • Gold
      • ★★★

There are only two manufacturers that I would trust to deliver a pistol of any model in the lineup, that I could remove from the box, and stick in my belt with total confidence of flawless function.
      They are Ruger and Glock.
      In the time that I have been gunsmithing, only three Rugers and 1 Glock have come through the shop (and the Glock was blown apart with a double charge of Bullseye). The Rugers were worn slap out, but they stood by their product.
      Ruger sells things that are intended to last a lifetime, abd they stand behind that sentiment 100%.

lar45
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★
      • Comments: 224
      • Overall: 245

I have lots of Ruger handguns and have been happy with all of them except for a 45Colt Redhawk. The chambers had a belly in them and would stick cases with mild loads.
      I do have a 3 screw single six that spits lead pretty bad. I’d like to send it back, but don’t want it to be converted to the new transfer bar safety.
      Other than that, I’m all thumbs up for Ruger. 🙂

GhostHawk
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★
      • Comments: 258
      • Overall: 260

I have or have had a few Rugers. My Ruger 10/22 is still IMO one of the best affordable .22lr on the market. Throw a decent scope on it and you can do pretty much whatever you want with it.mor

My wife and I each have a Ruger Mk III 22/45 pistol, 4″ barrels, both sport red dot sights.
      Yesterday I went to the range set a target at 20 feet, shot 5 to confirm my zero. It was a touch low so raised it 1 click shot 6 more. Yep right on target.

I then put 3 colored dots at 12, 4 and 8 oclock positions some 4 inches out from the center.
      With a full mag I went “around the clock” as fast as I could line up the shots.

This is the result.

Needless to say I was happy with that result.

Now I need to get out and see what it will do at longer ranges.

Thank the LORD that the Freedom group has not yet and hopefully never will get Ruger like they got H&R, Marlin and Remington.

Goodsteel
      Keymaster
      • Gold
      • ★★★

lar45;n9783 wrote: I have lots of Ruger handguns and have been happy with all of them except for a 45Colt Redhawk. The chambers had a belly in them and would stick cases with mild loads.
      I do have a 3 screw single six that spits lead pretty bad. I’d like to send it back, but don’t want it to be converted to the new transfer bar safety.
      Other than that, I’m all thumbs up for Ruger. 🙂

Well they send you the old parts back with the revolver so you can go back to the old style if you want to.
      Personally, I want that transfer bar on any pistol I own. I’ve not known it to make a difference in accuracy, (my personal opinion only) and I feel it addresses a very real danger. I’m getting ready to send my old 3 screw BH in for service but it’s already been converted, so no big deal.

Goodsteel
      Keymaster
      • Gold
      • ★★★

GhostHawk;n9784 wrote:

Thank the LORD that the Freedom group has not yet and hopefully never will get Ruger like they got H&R, Marlin and Remington.

That is exactly why I write and give a word of praise where it is due. Might not make any difference, but it still seems like a good thing to do.

Anonymous
      Inactive
      • Silver
      • ★★
      • Comments: 109
      • Overall: 143

Very well written letter Tim. I am a Ruger fan. Mine operate flawlessly whether revolver or pistol. I had a leading issue with one SR. I tried everything to eliminate the problem but to no avail. Looked to me as if their tooling had dulled prior to rifling the barrel. Called them and they sent me a stick on mailer to send it to them. I received it back in a week with a new barrel installed and the problem vanished. The real bonus is we get to buy AMERICAN!

WCM
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★

Artful;n9766 wrote: I want to try one of their precision rifles – very interesting concept

I like the looks of the Precision rifle in 6.5 Creedmoor
      Looks like a nice rifle for the money.
      Will probably shoot sub MOA, but I am not sure about .5 MOA That may be stretching hopes a bit too far.

Viewing 16 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2017 Goodsteel Forum. Designed by Covalent Designs, LLC.