Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
      Anonymous
      Inactive
      • Silver
      • ★★
      • Comments: 109
      • Overall: 143

How much can one reduce the diameter with a size die? I know the lube grooves will be compromised but I am going to PC, so that is not the problem. What will the gas check do when reduced that much? Other considerations? I do have AL and Cu gas check in 270. What are your thoughts folks?

retread

Goodsteel
      Keymaster
      • Gold
      • ★★★
      • Comments: 2452
      • Overall: 2660

In my opinion, any more than .005 is causing more problems than it is solving.

Anonymous
      Inactive
      • Silver
      • ★★
      • Comments: 109
      • Overall: 143

That is what I would suspect but I wanted to verify. Thanks Tim. I’ll continue my hunt for a suitable 6.5 mold.

Goodsteel
      Keymaster
      • Gold
      • ★★★

Well, shooting cast in 6.5 is a difficult thing to do if accuracy is to be maintained along with downrange energy and speed, all this due to the twist rate of the barrel, but if I were to attempt it just for giggles, I would start right here:
      http://www.midwayusa.com/product/946…ette-gas-check

keep your speed about 1800FPS, cast the best bullets you know how, and try to push softly.
      I would use White Label 2500+ lube.

personally, I would just stick to jacketed though. When you’re using small diameter bullets with a fast twist rate, the best thing to do is use long bullets and push them fast. That spells jacketed.
      If you don’t do this, you’ll be using short bullets, pushing them slow, and accuracy will suffer as a result as well as useful range of effect.
      Ive decided there are some situations where cast just doesn’t make a whole lot of sense, and I actually try to avoid those situations so I can enjoy the sport more fully.

That said, I have a few rifles that get no cast bullets, and I have them because the benefits outweigh the cost. Such as:
      300 winmag long range tactical rifle.
      270 Winchester Model 70.
      M1A Scout semi automatic rifle.

These are all rifles that just work better with jacketed for reasons of twist, or accuracy, or long range performance, or finction of the rifle, or they are less than 30 caliber.

uber7mm
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★
      • Comments: 288
      • Overall: 305

You might want to slug the barrel and/or chamber cast your Arisaka. Military barrels diameters are all over the place. (Especially late war and last ditch models)

Goodsteel
      Keymaster
      • Gold
      • ★★★

That’s a good idea. Last 6.5 Jap I had was definitely oversize.
      Good catch.

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2017 Goodsteel Forum. Designed by Covalent Designs, LLC.