Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author
      Goodsteel
      Keymaster
      • Gold
      • ★★★
      • Comments: 2452
      • Overall: 2660

The past 10 years have been really darn hard on the wheelweight market. I sure hope things go back to normal again! I dream of a day when I can once again get 5 gallon buckets full of lead wheelweights. No zinc, no steel. Just wonderful little ingots.
      I sure miss those days. If I had known how things would go, I would have stockpiled a bunch of them, but I had no idea the lowly lead wheelweight would one day be so hard to come by.

uncle jimbo
      Participant
      • Bronze
      • Comments: 21
      • Overall: 26

It would be nice if it did. The only thing I see about this is that the makers of WW will not re-tool just to go back to lead. Zinc and steel do the job same as lead. So I don’t see them spending more money just to go back to lead unless the raw materials needed for lead are much cheaper than for zinc and steel. The whole issue is based on the bottom line. More money is better than less money. But this is just my 2¢ worth.

uncle jimbo

Goodsteel
      Keymaster
      • Gold
      • ★★★

uncle jimbo;n15362 wrote: It would be nice if it did. The only thing I see about this is that the makers of WW will not re-tool just to go back to lead. Zinc and steel do the job same as lead. So I don’t see them spending more money just to go back to lead unless the raw materials needed for lead are much cheaper than for zinc and steel. The whole issue is based on the bottom line. More money is better than less money. But this is just my 2¢ worth.

uncle jimbo

I agree with you, but lead is one of the cheapest metals you can buy both in raw materials and manufacturing costs.
      Also, I’m not sure the lead WW are made by the same companies as the steel and zinc ones are. There’s still new lead WW being made and sold all the time, and its much cheaper. See
      here: https://www.alltiresupply.com/collections/wheel-weights
      I suspect that the reason zinc WW are so common is because of artificial incentives given by the government. If those are dropped, then the percentage of lead COWW will rise dramatically, and I suspect the price will fall dramatically too, because even the low price of WW seen in the link are artificially inflated to give zinc and steel a fighting chance.

uncle jimbo
      Participant
      • Bronze
      • Comments: 21
      • Overall: 26

I hope you are right. It would be nice to go through a 5 gal bucket and get a 75 to 90% lead to garbage like in the old days.

uncle jimbo

popper
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★
      • Comments: 293
      • Overall: 294

Dream on Tim. With the improved quality of tires and rims now, Ever notice the tool/drill marks inside a factory wheel? Only when you replace the tires is rebalance done.

cheatermk3
      Participant
      • Bronze
      • Comments: 2
      • Overall: 2

The guys at my tire shop say they liked the lead WWs because they’re easier to work with–

Goodsteel
      Keymaster
      • Gold
      • ★★★

Yeah. Somehow I did manage to notice while I was building the custom molds for Superior wheel , and hand stoning them for hours and hours…….and hours, while my fellow machinists down the hall fabricated and assembled the CNCs that machine the castings to perfection. The casting is not perfect, so its not perfectly balanced, but its dam close. However, each wheel is carefully checked, and if a couple ounces need to be removed from one side of the rim, they are.
      It bears mentioning that my best friend out here is the PHD for Rien Chemie rubber in little rock. He is directly responsible for the quality of most domestic brands of tires in the USA, and I’ve helped him with quite a few custom jobs back in the day.
      You might say there’s very little about tires and wheels I havnt noticed and gotten paid to notice for years.
      The wheel is perfect. The tires are not. Wheel weights balance the RUBBER popper. Not the rim. What’s your point?

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2017 Goodsteel Forum. Designed by Covalent Designs, LLC.