Viewing 7 reply threads
  • Author
      Butch Wax
      Participant
      • Silver
      • β˜…β˜…
      • Comments: 158
      • Overall: 180

A year ago I decided to start shooting single actions again. I once had an early old model Blackhawk in .357mag and a prewar Colt SAA in .44Spl. But last wife spent more than we had and I was forced to sell over 2 dozen classic weapons and instruments. So I’ve been slowly getting a few weapons here and there. Never gonna have what I did, but oh well. …..

Enter a Uberti made SAA in .357mag and a Mason Conversion model chambered in 38Spl. Both very very well made. Love em but both shoot 4″ left at 25yds and 3″ left at 15yds. But the groups are good, just left! Tried all the stick more finger in the trigger, less, you name it, I shot left!

Then it dawned on me that both of my old single actions had trigger shoes on em! Holy retread Batman! So I searched and found some trigger shoes for my shooters and they arrived today. Installed in minutes and was on my pistol range with the SAA shortly afterwards. When the smoke cleared, the cases dumped in the bucket, and I hobbled to the target, I got a big stupid grin on my face. X and 10 were eaten away with 2 in the 9. Oh what a difference a shoe makes! My hand doesn’t fit well enough on a Colt SAA to isolate my trigger finger. Thus the presence of a wide serrated trigger shoe does the trick for me. The old Sarge is happy and if my knee wasn’t giving me pure hellish pain, I would have broken into my happy dance. πŸ˜‰

Artful
      Participant
      • Gold
      • β˜…β˜…β˜…
      • Comments: 428
      • Overall: 615

For you feet or hands – you must find what fit’s ya to be happy.

Butch Wax
      Participant
      • Silver
      • β˜…β˜…

Yup, the two I had a few years ago I never even thought about having trigger shoes on em. I always shot left with the bunch of BP revolvers, but figured it was the guns, not me. Stupid huh?
      But when both my neighbors across the road shot my pistols and shot center I knew it was me.

All my old S&W’s I carried as a lawman were outfitted with wide triggers, or I installed one if it didn’t. But more importantly, the grip configuration are very different. With a single action my trigger finger ends up pressing against the right upper edge of the triggerguard. Tried many methods or grip configuration but none helped. I then simply aimed to the right.

The use of trigger shoes on my single actions has vastly improved my shooting by allowing more finger on the trigger and less on the frame. For me with my grip, it’s a breath of fresh air. πŸ™‚

Sgt. Mike
      Participant
      • Gold
      • β˜…β˜…β˜…
      • Comments: 789
      • Overall: 873

Butch glad to hear some good news there.
      Keep yer eyes open I’m sure some of your favorite type weapons will find there way back. maybe not as nice of condition maybe in better .
      Nice report
      best wishes

Butch Wax
      Participant
      • Silver
      • β˜…β˜…

Thank you Sgt. Mike.
      When one is down to two BP revolvers to their name, well that was my low point. Had many classics dating back to 1860 that were all sold to cover the massive debt the now EX-wife amassed. Seeing old trapdoors and a Sharps, pre-64 M70’s and many S&W beauties go simply took the starch outta my dress blues that’s for sure…

From an old Ranger E-6, I thank you for your sentiment and understanding. Now I’m slowly gathering new and different ones. It’s all good. And trigger shoes make it even better! HA!!

Waksupi
      Participant
      • Silver
      • β˜…β˜…
      • Comments: 106
      • Overall: 112

Shoes help on triggers that are a bit hard. Spreading the finger pressure out on a larger area makes the pull seem lighter, giving better accuracy.

Butch Wax
      Participant
      • Silver
      • β˜…β˜…

Yes sir, I believe you are quite right! In the case of these two single actions here, the triggers were great pressure wise, but my hand/finger/grip position placed part of my finger against the upper end of the triggerguard. I kept pushing the weapon to the left when I’d squeeze. 55 years of shooting one way tends to make it almost impossible to alter one’s grip now. So the shoes put my finger in better position. Hitting center. Bingo Ringo!! πŸ˜€

Goodsteel
      Keymaster
      • Gold
      • β˜…β˜…β˜…
      • Comments: 2452
      • Overall: 2660

Very cool!
      Love it when a plan comes together!

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Β© 2017Β Goodsteel Forum. Designed by Covalent Designs, LLC.