This topic contains 6 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  JRR 1 year, 11 months ago.

• Author
     Goodsteel 
    Keymaster
    • Gold
    • ★★★
    • Comments: 2452
    • Overall: 2660

I have a S&W 1076 pistol in 10mm automatic. I bought this gun because I wanted something that was more powerful than the 45acp or the 40S&W. This handgun is built like a tank, and is able to drive 200gr cast bullets at pressures that would be unsafe in a Glock, and that’s exactly what I intend to do, using cast bullets.

However, the cast bullet I choose needs to be able to feed flawlessly in this handgun. Before I go to the time and trouble to design a custom bullet, I would like to ask the esteemed membership what your experience is with this. Surely I am not the only one here who has wanted to drive the socks off this cartridge.

Anonymous
    • Bronze
    • Comments: 73
    • Overall: 86

10 MM  🙂

I have a Cz in 40 cal. I used it in IPSC when  had the time when I was younger.

the bullet i used was the lee 401-175-tc  it never gave me a problem.  as cast 180g

the powder I used was WSF  to make major pf

I never tried any of the other cast in the heaver weight as the cz is built on the 9mm frame and the oal had to be short

primers were not showing pressue signs like some of the others

(or the brass picked up after a match) — not too many people shooting the 10mm

JRR 
    Participant
    • Silver
    • ★★
    • Comments: 84
    • Overall: 107

I use the RCBS 180 mould with great results in the .40 cal.  Another CZ shooter.  Very accurate bullet loaded to make major using Herco.  RCBS also makes a 200 gr. .  A couple of guys I know who shoot 10mm are using Blue Dot with 180-200gr. bullets.

Goodsteel 
    Keymaster
    • Gold
    • ★★★
    • Comments: 2452
    • Overall: 2660

The groove diameter on my 10mm is .403 thus, the Lee mold will not work as it casts .401 exactly.

The 175 grain bullets would be my choice for target work, but that is not the reason I own this handgun. The 1076 is the strongest of the 10mm handguns, and I intend to push it hard. I don’t do this with with all my firearms, but there’s a time and place to get the most out of a firearm.

So! The main thing I’m concerned with is reliability. Then precision, and it must be 200 grains.

For those of you that have worked with this cartridge, I’m wondering if you have any experience with a cast bullet of this description?

Harter 
    Participant
    • Gold
    • ★★★
    • Comments: 797
    • Overall: 868

If I’d known a month or 3 ago………
    I traded away 403-175RF LBT . I run out of load data just shy of 1000 fps in my XD40 in 40 . Have you tried all the nose shapes ? I remember seeing an almost TC like SWC for 38-40 (?). There’s a Ruger BlackHawk convertible out there somewhere on my wish list .
    I think the 38-40 bullet was 210 for pure ,but that was a long time and many wish books ago .

Rattlesnake Charlie 
    Participant
    • Gold
    • ★★★
    • Comments: 679
    • Overall: 831

Tim, I bought a MiHec 2-cavity RFN-HP that is to drop 200/195/190 gr respectively with solid / cup hp / deep hp. Designed for .402 but I’ve not cast with it yet. I’ll loan it to you if you want.

I also have a MiHec MP 402-160 RFN with all pin combinations. It will really blow up water filled milk jugs with that big HP even from .40 S&W.

Another I used when shooting combat matches is a custom Lee 6-cavity TC 150 gr. Feeds flawlessly in my EAA Witness 10mm and several .40 S&W pistols. Saves a bit of lead when involved in high round count events. Really produces bullets fast.

All of these are plain based. Never had any problem with leading.

JRR 
    Participant
    • Silver
    • ★★
    • Comments: 84
    • Overall: 107

Tim,

Have you considered ordering some sample packs from the cast manufactures.  I know “Blue Bullets” has a rounded flat point in 200gr.  You could try a few shapes to see the function before ordering a mould.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2017 Goodsteel Forum. Designed by Covalent Designs, LLC.