• Author
      Goodsteel
      Keymaster
      • Gold
      • ★★★
      • Comments: 2452
      • Overall: 2660

Merry Christmas my friends.
      I look forward to this post every year, and I make it every year as the spirit moves me. This poem by Henry Wadsworth Longfellow is one of the finest literary works I have ever read directly after the Bible itself. It embodies the Christmas spirit and paves a way towards that place that means so much to me, and that which I attempt to keep alive throughout the year. These words nearly bring me to tears when I read them. For the past years, as long as I can remember, it was out of sorrow and dispare for the desperate state of my country but this year, out of unbridaled hope for the new year, and all the righteous men that have stood up against all odds and changed the course of this country back towards blessing Israel and Gods people.
      Truthfully, our troubles are but a drop of water in the ocean of sorrow that Wadsworth was experiencing when he penned this awesome poem, and yet, we have been on the brink of repeating those events that brought him to this point. God help us to open our shut up hearts and mouths to those who need us so desperately, and never forget that God is our Lord, and the ultimate author of the verses of history, and the source of our piece in times of trouble, and wisdom when we are surrounded by hate, terror and vengeance.
      God is not dead, not doth he sleep.

The following are the original words of Longfellow’s poem:

I heard the bells on Christmas Day
      Their old, familiar carols play,
      and wild and sweet The words repeat
      Of peace on earth, good-will to men!

And thought how, as the day had come,
      The belfries of all Christendom
      Had rolled along The unbroken song

Till ringing, singing on its way,
      The world revolved from night to day,
      A voice, a chime, A chant sublime

Then from each black, accursed mouth
      The cannon thundered in the South,
      And with the sound The carols drowned

It was as if an earthquake rent
      The hearth-stones of a continent,
      And made forlorn The households born

And in despair I bowed my head;
      “There is no peace on earth,” I said;
      “For hate is strong, And mocks the song
      Of peace on earth, good-will to men!”

Then pealed the bells more loud and deep:
      “God is not dead, nor doth He sleep;
      The Wrong shall fail, The Right prevail,
      With peace on earth, good-will to men.”

God bless you. A Merry Christmas. A very merry Christmas indeed!

Reg
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★
      • Comments: 256
      • Overall: 296

Merry Christmas

Harter
      Participant
      • Gold
      • ★★★
      • Comments: 807
      • Overall: 883

Merry Christmas one and all .

We are fortunate to live in our time even in the midst of the chaos .
      I hope that we made a good choice to act as a leader he can certainly be no worse than the alternative .

​​​​

slim1836
      Participant
      • Bronze
      • Comments: 63
      • Overall: 66

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to everyone. May peace, joy, and prosperity fall upon each of us in the new year.

Headed to KY from TX on the 21st to visit my 88 year old mother and my older sister. Going real close to Goodsteel’s neck of the woods, however, my schedule is tight and may have to stop by another time.

Everyone relax, enjoy the holidays, Trump will be in soon, and perhaps we can make America great again.

Keep your powder dry,

Slim

DeadWoodDan
      Participant
      • Bronze
      • Comments: 80
      • Overall: 91

Merry Christmas!! Hoping everyone stays warm as IL weather has a high of 0 degrees for Sunday 😮

WCM
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★
      • Comments: 368
      • Overall: 398

I am a big Charles Dickens fan. I have read almost all his novels and novellas.
      I still like A Christmas Carol.
      The ghost of Christmas past, present,and future.

I have such great memories of Christmas when I was growing up.
      Then later as my own kids grew up,and now I look forward to having grandkids someday to enjoy the Christmas tradition.

My wish to you all this Christmas season, is good health,and many friends and family to enjoy the season .

Merry Christmas..

Anonymous
      Inactive
      • Bronze
      • Comments: 28
      • Overall: 37

The Gospel of Luke chapter 2, verses 8-14
      “And there were in the same country shepherds abiding in the field, keeping watch over their flock by night. And, lo, the angel of the Lord came upon them, and the glory of the Lord shone round about them: and they were sore afraid. And the angel said unto them, Fear not: for, behold, I bring you good tidings of great joy, which shall be to all people. For unto you is born this day in the city of David a Savior, which is Christ the Lord. And this shall be a sign unto you; Ye shall find the babe wrapped in swaddling clothes, lying in a manger. And suddenly there was with the angel a multitude of the heavenly host praising God, and saying,
      Glory to God in the highest, and on earth peace, good will toward men.

Wonderful and marvelous this proclamation was to those shepherds who first heard it.
      Here the God and Creator of the universe through his messenger communicates to ordinary people that they no longer have to fear. That He, Himself will bring peace to the inhabitants of earth through the Messiah, Christ, His only begotten, “thou shalt call his name JESUS: for he shall save his people from their sins” …” Behold the Lamb of God who takes away the sin of the world” … The Son of God.

This is the reality that was foretold in ages past. No longer types and shadows but the real hope for the world’s most dire problem, sin. Jehovah Himself provides the cure to our illness. No longer would there need to be a separation of God and man. No longer would man be prohibited from approaching a pure and morally perfect creator. “For what the law could not do, in that it was weak through the flesh, God sending his own Son in the likeness of sinful flesh, and for sin, condemned sin in the flesh.” What condescension! What mercy! What greater example of patience and longsuffering… that God did not reward man what he deserves!? Instead He gave His most valuable possession, His Son!

And is it no less marvelous today that God extends to us the same love and condescension he did the shepherds over 2000 years ago? May we be thankful and bring ourselves in humble submission to him. May we look to Jesus the Christ for our righteousness, our hope and happiness here and for the life to come.
      Truly “Gory to God in the highest…”

Tim, thank you for reminding us of what the Christmas season is about…
      To all, may you have a blessed and merry Christmas!

PS, now that we may have peace with God through Christ, may we pray that men will have peace with each other.
      “If it be possible, as much as lieth in you, live peaceably with all men.” Romans 12:18

Goodsteel
      Keymaster
      • Gold
      • ★★★
      • Comments: 2452
      • Overall: 2660

Amazing.
      Thank you. Glory to God in the highest, and on earth: Piece. Good will towards men!

Phil
      Participant
      • Bronze
      • Comments: 52
      • Overall: 54

Merry Christmas and have a safe holiday season.

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2017 Goodsteel Forum. Designed by Covalent Designs, LLC.